View Poll Results: What is the most common frequency you use?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll

1 1.89%

28 52.83%

14 26.42%

4 7.55%

1 1.89%
  • other

12 22.64%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: what's the most common frequency you use?

Default Re: what's the most common frequency you use?

Well, I use 5.2 or 'Low" on all tel cable, especially in congested areas, and on some electric, but 8 is necessary on most of my gas and catv locates.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

I start out in my lowest available frequency (815Hz) for all phone locates. For the most part if unbonded the phone will usually tone out in low frequency and you have little to no bleed off this way. If I can't get the phone line to tone I'll bump it up to 8kHz.

When toning gas if I only need the service I'll use low but if you need to get main also then I use 8. When in low you can only get the main one way because you're signal in such a low frequency will only travel the one way.

I do understand why they train to always use the lowest frequency available but in the real world I'm screeming out in 82kHz plenty of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by 6feetunder View Post
    8 & 33 work for me, not a big fan of 5, but does come in handy once in awhile with old electric.
    Hey!!!, those are my numbers!!!!!!
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

I primarily use an RD on 8 khz to locate power, gas, and phone, but I us 65 khz to locate catv. I've just found that 65 khz will light up more drops, old and new, in any given area. I also use a higher frequency to locate any open ended or ungrounded cables. And I refrain from using 512 hz. Our areas are too congested with facilities and 8khz & 65 khz do a better job of pinpointing for me. I also have a subsite that I use primarily for locating power. I've found that subsites are quite sensitive to electric facilities and do a fantastic job of isolating multiple lines in a congested area.

And Supertech, don't get some of us usic vets started on the in class training, but not all of the faults belong to the trainers.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

Years of Experience

What ever the pipehorn is...lol

Years of Experience
    na

The higher the frequency the better...

And lets not leave out radio and passive...

Why make the job more difficult than it is...

Inductive or goo the choice is yours!!!!!!!

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    What ever the pipehorn is...lol
    450 kHz
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Pipehorn 800HL : 480 kHz and 9 kHz

The Subsite is the best, the old 75R to be specific. I use 29k most of the time, but I'll kick it down to 8k or 1k for difficult isolation times.

Years of Experience

Using Direct Connection, the lower the frequency the less coupling you have and the more distance the signal can travel (depending on the type of conductor). If you are in congested areas, you should get better results from using the lower frequencies. Higher frequencies will tend to couple more to other conductors and will travel less distance (don't forget to unbond the common ground at the house!).

Using a clamp, the lowest setting for clamp induction is generally 33k (depending on the manufacturer).

Dropping a box - I'm not even going there......

That being said, it really depends on how congested the area is, how deep the facility is, what size the facility is, and what material the facility is made of. Copper and aluminum will carry a signal much better, whereas bare steel and iron may not be the best of conductors. Remember, you are creating a circuit, much like a light switch. You are sending out a signal and using other conductors (hopefully the ground) to return the signal and complete the circuit (effectively turning the light on). It is critical where you place your equipment (transmitter and ground rod) in order for this circuit to work as designed and create the return path that is needed to correctly identify your target.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Cool Re: what's the most common frequency you use?

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Using Direct Connection, the lower the frequency the less coupling you have and the more distance the signal can travel (depending on the type of conductor). If you are in congested areas, you should get better results from using the lower frequencies. Higher frequencies will tend to couple more to other conductors and will travel less distance (don't forget to unbond the common ground at the house!).

Using a clamp, the lowest setting for clamp induction is generally 33k (depending on the manufacturer).

Dropping a box - I'm not even going there......

That being said, it really depends on how congested the area is, how deep the facility is, what size the facility is, and what material the facility is made of. Copper and aluminum will carry a signal much better, whereas bare steel and iron may not be the best of conductors. Remember, you are creating a circuit, much like a light switch. You are sending out a signal and using other conductors (hopefully the ground) to return the signal and complete the circuit (effectively turning the light on). It is critical where you place your equipment (transmitter and ground rod) in order for this circuit to work as designed and create the return path that is needed to correctly identify your target.
    VERY GOOD stuff there John !!!!!! Sounds like you been/done this rodeo B/4.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by MIG4000 View Post
    VERY GOOD stuff there John !!!!!! Sounds like you been/done this rodeo B/4.
    Learning more every day thanks to these new young bucks (and does) coming into the industry and from this forum where we can learn from each other.

Sad to say but I no longer have my boots, paint stick, and locator in the truck.....my place and fate were determined when I turned 50 last year.

I'm thinking of listing all of my multi-colored shoes and boots on eBay under "designer clothes" and see how much $$ I can get for some of these!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Learning more every day thanks to these new young bucks (and does) coming into the industry and from this forum where we can learn from each other.

Sad to say but I no longer have my boots, paint stick, and locator in the truck.....my place and fate were determined when I turned 50 last year.

I'm thinking of listing all of my multi-colored shoes and boots on eBay under "designer clothes" and see how much $$ I can get for some of these!
    Hey....anything that will help $$ with this economy

The info. & exp. that you are willing to share.....U can not put a price on

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12