View Poll Results: overstaffed or more ot ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • OT

14 56.00%
  • Overstaffed

11 44.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's it going to be? Veterans get OT or staffed correctly with new hires?

Here's a good one - One of our groups down here is short 3 locators -1 quit, 1 was fired and 1 transferred. For the last month they have had mandatory week-end work to keep up (along with volunteers from other groups). They are probably running 40-50% O.T. Now a hiring freeze is initiated. My question is: Is it more profitable to have fewer locators and large amounts of O.T. or to staff up properly and have very little O.T.? Maybe from a pure $$ standpoint the fewer employees offers a better profit margin, but how does a higher rate of turnover effect the bottom line? I am sure there are people a lot smarter than me making these decisions but something doesn't seem to add up at gut level. I am wondering if Robbie boy left us in bad shape?
    Maybe in the next few weeks things will start to make sense, however I don't have a very good feeling about what's happening right now. It nearly feels like a co. that's about to go under, or do a drastic cut-back. Neither option will bode well for us peons.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Default Re: What's it going to be? Veterans get OT or staffed correctly with new hires?

After reading everyone's differing opinions on this subject it seems a no brainer to me that each office is different and should be handled individually (within certain corporate criteria, of course). Corporate should give enough freedom to the offices to be able to meet individual needs and wants within that office. People and circumstances are different and always have been. Be ethical, moral, and considerate in your decisions as a leader of men and women. Leaders need to learn how to be Good Leaders, and to be a good leader one needs to consider the needs and wants of their subordinants. I think if you have an office of locators that want a lot of overtime, be careful not to overstaff and put them and THEIR FAMILIES in a bind. If you have an office of those that don't necessarily need or want the ot, use that office to staff of needed. I also think if you have an employee that needs and wants ot, don't ignore him/her to hire someone else. REMEMBER there are real families involved with real needs - some want $ and some want time. There's a real difference between a person in charge and a good leader.

Default Re: What's it going to be? Veterans get OT or staffed correctly with new hires?

Another interesting point to consider in all this:

Be careful who you listen to as someone in charge. Look at the production numbers. You could have a locator griping about needing help when he's only doing 10 tickets a day. (I know of one). Always saying hire someone to help me. Personally I think this person needs to learn how to locate or move on. One locator who needed the ot volunteered to help him. Wasn't good enough. He wanted a person on a permanent basis to help him (found out later he was quitting early and going golfing during the day.) Management listened to him and hired a new person to help him which cut out the ot for the other locator.

Another locator complained constantly about too much work - while only doing 10-12 tickets a day - and driving through McDonalds with his wife in his vehicle at 3:00 in the afternoon.

There are those who do their job and management knows who they are. They rarely complain unless it has something to do with an injustice and they make production plus regularly. They aren't caught doing things against company policy and they go over and beyond the call of duty consistantly. Those are the ones you leave alone and let them do their job. The others are in the wrong line of work.

Quote Originally Posted by LocatingLarry View Post
    Another interesting point to consider in all this:

Be careful who you listen to as someone in charge. Look at the production numbers. You could have a locator griping about needing help when he's only doing 10 tickets a day. (I know of one). Always saying hire someone to help me. Personally I think this person needs to learn how to locate or move on. One locator who needed the ot volunteered to help him. Wasn't good enough. He wanted a person on a permanent basis to help him (found out later he was quitting early and going golfing during the day.) Management listened to him and hired a new person to help him which cut out the ot for the other locator.

Another locator complained constantly about too much work - while only doing 10-12 tickets a day - and driving through McDonalds with his wife in his vehicle at 3:00 in the afternoon.

There are those who do their job and management knows who they are. They rarely complain unless it has something to do with an injustice and they make production plus regularly. They aren't caught doing things against company policy and they go over and beyond the call of duty consistantly. Those are the ones you leave alone and let them do their job. The others are in the wrong line of work.
    What you may forget are the locators that only work on high profile, piece of crap, unbelieveably long @$$ tickets all day. I only see single lot tickets when I'm on call. Other than that it's help everyone else and run long @$$ tickets. Just because someone is not as "productive" doesn't mean they don't locate twice as much as you do. I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble, but don't beat the hell out of anyone that does put in a hard days work but doesn't get as many "tickets" done. Trust me, I bust my balls as much as the next guy, but I don't get the easier tickets.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    What you may forget are the locators that only work on high profile, piece of crap, unbelieveably long @$$ tickets all day. I only see single lot tickets when I'm on call. Other than that it's help everyone else and run long @$$ tickets. Just because someone is not as "productive" doesn't mean they don't locate twice as much as you do. I'm not trying to burst anyones bubble, but don't beat the hell out of anyone that does put in a hard days work but doesn't get as many "tickets" done. Trust me, I bust my balls as much as the next guy, but I don't get the easier tickets.
    Glad someone mentioned this point. We've got locators that can run 50 tickets a day, every day. We've also got locators that regularly run 10 tickets a day in what's considered a very high profile area. Is one better than the other? I don't think so, unless one has less damages than another. One guy might make the company a ton of money by being so productive while the other does the same by preventing major damages in a high profile area. They each make the company money in their own way, so in the end it usually evens out.
    My boots may be red but I'm no clown.

It would be nice for whatever company you work to hire 'seasonal' help (experienced that is) that knows how to locate and can handle going to different areas, so we don't need to put in 70 hours a week. Sure would be nice to see my boys every now and again. =(

I wasn't talking about high profile locators. That is a given. I was talking about those that are doing "single address" tickets. Sorry. I didn't mean to offend.

There have been a LOT of good points & issues raised here. My two cents worth is this... There is a fine line between overstaffing & a slave labor. I think 60 hrs/week should be maximum on average. I agree that some people are driven by $$ others by time... so take each one and balance it out. Those who want more time should compromise and give a little extra time. (Only problem is that a lot of these people don't put out the work to start with .. ie.. start late, leave early... then say... I can't get my tickets done)

If you have a minimum # of hours that must be worked by everyone each week, then it would eliminate the late/early scenario. Then after the minimum, if the work hasn't been completed... check for volunteers before making it manditory.

Generally there are quite a few out there willing to work extra. Granted there are some weeks that may be slower than others... then you see who would want to have a little extra time at home... (starting with the ones who have put out the extra work.. not the ones who already go home early)... and work out from there.

There are those of us who love this line of work and thrive on it... (can you say workaholics?)... but even these people run into burn out and a little pat on the back and some consideration should be given to these people too. Don't assume that they ALWAYS want to work like dogs. Okay.. I think I am rambling now.

Years of Experience

well said gypsy!!!

Years of Experience

again i have to go with ot ............staffed up will never happen.....my opinion
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I agree yahoo! OT! Except when it gets to be too much. Tired locators have accidents. Don't want anyone hurt!
    "There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion."

- General William Thornson, U.S. Army

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123