View Poll Results: overstaffed or more ot ?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • OT

14 56.00%
  • Overstaffed

11 44.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's it going to be? Veterans get OT or staffed correctly with new hires?

Question What's it going to be? Veterans get OT or staffed correctly with new hires?

I read with interest the conflicting opinions of people on the board. On one hand we have the people complain that they are not staffed correctly, need more new people hired. However i read a couple posts later that some technicians dislike it when companies supposedly "overstaff" as they feel they cannot get their overtime.

I wanted to open a post that says, what do you think?

OT is all well and fine as long as it doesn't get oppressive. But there is a fine line between over-staffed and under-staffed; too many people and there are a lot of lay-offs when the tickets start running dry. Too few and you have locators working 12+ hours a day and weekends.

So what would you prefer? it is understood that there is a fine balance to getting this business staffed correctly, i hear two conflicting sides on this site, I would like to gauge the opinion of all that read and are active commentators on this. The people who post here are representing the locators who put paint down day in and out.

I think staffing so that OT does not go beyond 50 hours a week should be the goal.

Default No OT zone

I believe that given the nature of the work we do an 8 hour day should be the goal. I mean would you want your brain, or heart surgeon cutting you open after he had just worked 70 hours. I know the analogy might be a stretch, but lets face it, one mistake due to being over worked has the potential to cause serious injury or death, or at the very least a costly damage. There will allways be individuals the either want or need the ot, but 70, or 80 hours a week, c'mon that is just beating people into the ground. Here is one other quick point. The locators working directly for the utilities work 8 ten hour days, and are responsible for just one utility. Most contract locators are responsible for multiple utilities. That is a lot of stress to those of you managerial types that know nothing about what is required to perform this job.

Years of Experience

It will be work your vets to death and swear we have enough people to staff for the summer and say we will be over staffed if we hire another person

Years of Experience
    na

I believe anything over 8 ought to be paid as OT time and a half...

And no one should lose there OT hours because there sent home early on account of bad weather or work not being available later in the week...

If your scheduled work time is an 8 hour day and suddenly there are these mandatory/necessary hours to be worked there should be a premium included...

I guess Im a little off topic but thought Id kick this in also...

It restricts your ability to schedule a second job for those that need to make additional money so there should be a premium regardless of not getting your 40 actual worked hours...

Its just unfair and wrong to take advantage of this...To some extent this job is requiring all your time to be available unlike other industrys thus its only fair...

Well anyway thats all...

Last edited by USIC1; May 27th, 2008 at 10:14 PM.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    I believe anything over 8 ought to be paid as OT time and a half...

And no one should lose there OT hours because there sent home early on account of bad weather or work not being available later in the week...

If your scheduled work time is an 8 hour day and suddenly there are these mandatory/necessary hours to be worked there should be a premium included...

I guess Im a little off topic but thought Id kick this in also...

It restricts your ability to schedule a second job for those that need to make additional money so there should be a premium regardless of not getting your 40 actual worked hours...

Its just unfair and wrong to take advantage of this...To some extent this job is requiring all your time to be available unlike other industrys thus its only fair...

Well anyway thats all...

But dont you know thats how they get you ever notice if you get off early or get sent home they are all about getting you to work the weekend ...less pay they have to fork out gotta read the fine print

Years of Experience
    na

Wonder what spray n pray thinks!?!??!?!?!?

You know there bending him over somewhere on this type of issue...

Years of Experience

Where is Troy when you need him...huh...lol

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by tylerd75 View Post
    I read with interest the conflicting opinions of people on the board. On one hand we have the people complain that they are not staffed correctly, need more new people hired. However i read a couple posts later that some technicians dislike it when companies supposedly "overstaff" as they feel they cannot get their overtime.

I wanted to open a post that says, what do you think?

staffed correctly with new hires.....................................this concept does not exist that is my opinion....

Years of Experience

my choice is ot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Years of Experience

I agree OT is what will happen at this point cause even if they hire it is too late in the season right now they wont be worth a crap till at least winter and will only be pumping out 8-10 tickets a day for a while anyway and yep we will have to pick up thier slack so lets just crank up the coffe pots ond soak up the ot

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I like some others above believe there needs to be proper scheduling that would see us get around 50 - 55 hours per week in the summer months. And I agree anything over 40 hours per week should be at time and a half at least.

I have had the odd week where I worked 60 hours but those are few and far between.

When companies cannot or will not staff to appropriate levels, they bring on a whole host of issues...not the least of which is grumpy or p/o employees who come to believe they do not have a life. And, because they are driven so hard by the employer may believe they are not appreciated. Not a great combination for positive working relations.

The issue is also one of: do the companies have the right people, in the right jobs, doing the right things and providing all the correct resources, to allow us to effectively do our jobs. Many of us already know the answer to that question. And it sad because so many of the problems are so easily fixed if only the will and desire were there by the company!

Years of Experience
    30+

I really think anything over 50 hrs is too much. It can burn your folks out quickly.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast