• have safety call once a week

22 68.75%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: safety call

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: safety call

Yesterday we had a "safety meeting"... it was great. It was specific to a project going on, and involved construction personell as well as us. We were treated to 40+ pizzas and a couple of coolers of cold drinks....non-alcoholic of course. And while everyone was stuffing their face, the job superintendant talked about how the crew has gone 227days without a loss time accident, and how everyone has to do their part. He even mentioned on how important calling in for locates are. This is coming from the same company that got sodomized by our safety officer for opporating a Track hoe within the 25' safe zone of the High Voltage Electical lines (overhead). They were extremely lucky that the lines didn't arc to the Hoe. This was also the crew who on Monday, had the electricians in a trench 6+ feet deep with no shoring.... and no ladder. Isn't safety wonderful.

Mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Locator5000 View Post
    our safety calls are quick and to the point...

the supervisor reviews one item of safety per call, usually relating to what's going on...
    i.e. it's raining, it's going to be slippery, be careful

then onto: ok we have this many tickets, we all had a good day yesterday, let's keep up the good work...does anyone want to discuss anything? no? have a good day and be safe...
    usually 6-10 minutes max...it's my mid-morning break :-P

In the poll I voted to keep a safety call, just not daily. Once a week is sufficient. Bombard people daily and they start tuning things out, they keep enough attention to realize when the talking stops and then act as if they heard everything.

I'm all for the once a week safety call especially when we get emails daily from the safety dept. (that no one reads). I try to be as safe as I can since I can not afford to live on disability. My biggest gripe about safety & the company, is that the company is all for safety until it cost money. I ware glasses if I put on the provided safety glasses I would be tripping and running in to things, do they care, nope. Hard hats are only good for 5 yrs according to the safety dept, have the hard hats been checked for age, nope. These two items being part of the ppe's. Does each truck have the two traffic cones with reflective tape, nope. All the dps's are to have a voltage detector, does every one have one. nope. It is hard to get every one thinking safety when Corp. isn't wholeheartedly into it. So what do you do on the safety call? Mute the phone and do a locate or 2, take a cat nap, or listen and maybe hear something that you might not have known. I hope you listen no matter how painful it might be. If the budgets the DM's dream up every year, which get approved by the bosses all the way to the top, were to be made public the column on safety if they have one it would have $0.00. If upper management believes in the message, they need to do some surprise inspections of the districts to see what DM's don't believe.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

You use to get a writen up failling a saftey audit if the supervisor came by and you didn't have your flashers, beacons and cones out because they were so concerned for your saftey and keeping you safe. In comes GPS for usic and now with it draining batteries with the use of flashers and beacons. Now they tell you to park somewhere safe and just use your cones. Now where is all that concern for your personal safety, now it is costing money with new batteries it is ok not to use them.

Years of Experience

safety has been a quiet subject around these parts
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by Locateforlife View Post
    To answer your holyier the God marine corp attitude. No I did not just get out of training........ 13 years ago. I survived Desert Storm, YOU? Oh that's right Boot Camp.
    Also if you are spending 45 minutes on a conference call your Supervisor is not doing his job and running the call. Or could it be that you and your team members are all jaw jacking about issues that do not belong on the call?
    Hey let's not forget that most of us are Brothers in Arms no matter what branch you served or currently are serving in. No matter how much I disagreed with someone, I would still lay my life down for them when it mattered most. Now, most of us are also Brothers in locating and I would never disrespect or call into question someones military service no matter how brief. I too served our country after 911 and am damn proud of it.

Safety is still an issue here in the field, and yes we all need to be safety minded cause you know the general public has grown complacent when it comes to our presence. I'm not a big believer on having my daily safety call either. I think it's a little much, but hey they're paying me to be on it. Once a week safety call would sustain us I believe.
    Safety First Or It's The Hearse.

We've slowly been phasing the calls out. Started as 30 min. a day, then 15 min. a day, then 15 min. on Mondays and Fridays, now they're just kind of whenever we have time.

I'm glad to see them go, what a waste of time. We covered the same crap every day and people stopped listening.

I put safety before anything else. If my production suffers, tough. Luckliy I work close to another guy who feels the same way. We almost always team up and work manhole jobs together. I feel much safer having another truck blocking traffic, and someone to watch my back when I'm in the hole.

Years of Experience

Safety meeting...................................... Wear your safety vest, That will stop that car from taking you out! I always get a laugh when I get kicked out of a jobsite for wearing shorts, I still can't figure out why wearing shorts, when it's 92 and I'm just passing threw is a safety issue? And lastly don't put that ICE PICK IN YOUR EYE............

For those of you that talk down safety and bitch about how unproductive it is and how much time it takes up in your day. You will be the one that gets injured and brings down the rest of your team.
    Remeber when you or someone on your team is injured and has to leave the feild for the day or more. Everyone else must cover that team members tickets, now how productive is that.
    If you are the one bitching about safety, then as i see it you are the one screwing it up for the rest of your team.
    Safety is everyones job! It is my job to let you know that you are doing something unsafe and it is your job to let me know when i am being unsafe. That is called "TEAM WORK". Two heads are always better than one!
    I have seen locators that work safely during the day and are some of the best and most productive locators in the field. On the other hand i have seen just the opposite. A locator thinking that will never happen to me, bitching about the safety rules, waisting time and not very productive at all.
    I hope every locator takes safety as his number one goal, and if not for him/herself then hopefully for his family, friends and Team.
    I don't ever want to read about a locator being injured or killed on the job. "YES" this happens just as long as it isn't the locators fault.
    I make it my job to come home to my family the same way i left. "Upright"!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Safety Guy, Its not that I don't take safety seriously, I do. I don't do anything that I determined might harm me in one way or another. I even take extreme caution when peeing into electrical vaults....jk. I however know that most safety meetings are strictly to limit the companies liability in the case a worker was injured. If they give enough classes on safety, when the Grand Jury starts asking the CEO, "was it company policy to do this?" They could say... " no, your honor. We have extensive safety programs to train our workers not to do that". You can try to argue that point, but I just watched a Lead, and locator attempt to access a MH using all the safety equipment supplied by the company. They did not block off the lane using the OSHA guidelines, those guys had no idea how to use the Sniffer or what gasses they should be looking for. They were specifically looking at the O2 levels, but there is some contamination that eleveates other levels they had no idea how to look for. I could go on with the questionable safety concerns, but it comes down to safety is the sole responsibility of the worker, and the company should support the workers, not the other way around.

just a thought.

mke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12