3 9.38%
  • keep safety call

7 21.88%
  • have safety call once a week

22 68.75%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: safety call

Default safety call

we have a safety call every morning that usually take 1/2 hr, yet they want us to hurry up.

Default Re: safety call

One call each week would suffice. It's good to keep everyone talking to each other once in awhile.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by locator101 View Post
    we have a safety call every morning that usually take 1/2 hr, yet they want us to hurry up.
    Please define what you office's safety call consists of.

consists of talking about what you saw that morning that might be a safety risk ( people driving badly, or just anything that may be a safety concern to look out for.)

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm assuming its the daily safty meeting where the locators stand around and look bored and management has a smile on their face because they think the safty topic will "really hit home" this week.?

I'm I guessing right?

We have no safety meetings, We have safety classes for specific concerns..... Hazmat, Hazwopper, Confined space, Electrical safety and such. those we only take when our certs expire.

But we skip the daily make management feel good meetings.

mke

Years of Experience

is safety calls on the clock or off?????? if on ...then i would like to change my answer to every day for about 2 hours......ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

QUOTE=yahoo;26378]is safety calls on the clock or off?????? if on ...then i would like to change my answer to every day for about 2 hours......ha![/QUOTE]

If you had to listen to our Sup's Daily call you would be begging for relief! One of my Buddies said that if he ever was going to commit suicide, no matter the reason, he would do it during one of the safety calls. That way he wouldn't change his mind and would not have any regrets!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

we use to have useless conference call every morning and it usually went over what they ever emailed us. I just put the phone on mute and on the speaker phone and still locate. a few times when i decided to get out late i actually fell asleep during one or two

As was recently put forth by one of our fellow USIC Damage Prevention Professionals, SAFETY NEEDS TO BE PERSONAL. USIC has lost 2 very good DPPs in a year. Our jobs are dangerous and WE need to keep an eye out for the unexpected. All the cones, vests and beacons in the world are not going to stop a moving vehicle. Drivers are complacent when they get behind the wheel. They read their papers, work, put on make-up, talk on the phone and who knows what else.
    Take your calls to heart, practice it in your personal life. Back upon arrival, leave a 4 second space cushion, use the wedge at stops, wait 3 seconds before entering the intersection, hood your brake. IT DOES WORK, IT SAVES LIVES.
    Be safe.
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

As was recently put forth by one of our fellow USIC Damage Prevention Professionals, SAFETY NEEDS TO BE PERSONAL. USIC has lost 2 very good DPPs in a year. Our jobs are dangerous and WE need to keep an eye out for the unexpected. All the cones, vests and beacons in the world are not going to stop a moving vehicle. Drivers are complacent when they get behind the wheel. They read their papers, work, put on make-up, talk on the phone and who knows what else.
    Take your calls to heart, practice it in your personal life. Back upon arrival, leave a 4 second space cushion, use the wedge at stops, wait 3 seconds before entering the intersection, hood your brake. IT DOES WORK, IT SAVES LIVES.
    Be safe.

Good God did you just get out of a training class. If I can survive the USMC I sure do not need to sit in my truck for 30 to 45 mins each day to listen to the same crap over and over agin. Then 3 hours later getting called from the sup wanting to know when my numbers are going to go up.
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

Years of Experience

there's safety for you!!!!!..................be safe .................get those numbers up ....hahahhahahhahahahahahha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Over this way we don't do safety calls. Every few months or so we will do a conference call to announce updated contract information or whatnot with everyone in the field so theirs not a all hands meeting at the office. But, we do have a safety meeting once a week for our respective groups.

To answer your holyier the God marine corp attitude. No I did not just get out of training........ 13 years ago. I survived Desert Storm, YOU? Oh that's right Boot Camp.
    Also if you are spending 45 minutes on a conference call your Supervisor is not doing his job and running the call. Or could it be that you and your team members are all jaw jacking about issues that do not belong on the call?
    GOD BLESS THE USA & the Damage Prevention Techs that are the heartbeat of the Utility industry.[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
    OPINIONS ARE LIKE A-HOLES EVERYONE HAS ONE.

ya the Marines are holyier than god but 86-93 went threw desert storm plus a few other things and the sup might be a dumbass still cant leave the damn call
    "BOHICA" Bend Over Here It Comes Agin

our safety calls are quick and to the point...

the supervisor reviews one item of safety per call, usually relating to what's going on...
    i.e. it's raining, it's going to be slippery, be careful

then onto: ok we have this many tickets, we all had a good day yesterday, let's keep up the good work...does anyone want to discuss anything? no? have a good day and be safe...
    usually 6-10 minutes max...it's my mid-morning break :-P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast