View Poll Results: What is the normal amount of projects you manage at any given time?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • under 5

10 50.00%
  • 5 - 10

6 30.00%
  • 10 - 15

2 10.00%
  • 15 or more

2 10.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Projects!!!!

Default Projects!!!!

I am curious to know how many projects do you guys have to manage at one time during peak season. Last year was 15 projects at the same time, and by projects I mean miles of main road for water main/road reconstruction and or entire subdivisions for the same. This is in addition to 15 - 20 other tickets that need to be done and any emergencies that come in for the area. I'm assuming I'm at the extreme high end but would be curious to know how many of you may manage more than that.

1: under 5
    2: 5 - 10
    3: 10 - 15
    4: 15 or more
    Life's a garden, dig it! - Joe Dirt

Years of Experience

Default Re: Projects!!!!

I work in a city type environment so jobs over a mile long are somewhat odd for me. I do have an AT&T project coming up that is appr 7 miles long going all the way through my area. It is for one bypassing fiber that will be going down major roads and then going down an old easment right through subdivisions. This will be a job that will take 2 or 3 locators weeks to do. From what I've been told there will be a minimum of 6 bore crews working 6 days a week on this. Hopefully this will bring some overtime early for me.

Years of Experience
    na

DIG!!! BABY!!! DIG!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090215/...re_communities

Not to get off topic or anything....

Quote Originally Posted by USIC1 View Post
    DIG!!! BABY!!! DIG!!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090215/...re_communities

Not to get off topic or anything....

""This is the heart and center of the economy -- construction -- so it is important to get some of those jobs there," said Dean Baker, co-director at the Center for Economic and Policy Research consulting firm in Washington."

Anybody remember the good old days when MANUFACTURING was the heart and center of our economy? The current ratio of imports to exports in this country is so F@%$ing lopsided it's not even funny.

While I can see this stimulus money creating jobs for the short term, it's only fending off ther inevitable. A large portion of the wages paid to these construction workers will undoubtedly be spent on foreign goods and in effect much of these money will end up in foreign countries (Not staying within our borders, like it ideally should.) A few weeks back I was in a large chain shoe store with my girlfriend, and after checking a few pairs of shoes, I made it a point to try and find a pair of shoes that WASN'T made in China or one of its neighboring countries. Guess what?...... Not a single pair did I find.

Something needs to happen soon to discourage importation of foreign goods and encourage companies to manufacture their goods within the U.S. It's amazing to think that 60-70 years ago this country was a manufacturing powerhouse. They say that history repeats itself, and I feel as though I have a ringside seat to the fall of the Roman Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I work in a city type environment so jobs over a mile long are somewhat odd for me. I do have an AT&T project coming up that is appr 7 miles long going all the way through my area. It is for one bypassing fiber that will be going down major roads and then going down an old easment right through subdivisions. This will be a job that will take 2 or 3 locators weeks to do. From what I've been told there will be a minimum of 6 bore crews working 6 days a week on this. Hopefully this will bring some overtime early for me.

Oh man, yeah that always makes it fun to manage when you got that many crews involved over that long of a distance. Fortunately the longest fiber run that I had to stake was a 2 mile run and I think they had 3 crews , mostly through a subdivision so wasn't too bad, ran it with me and one other guy.

Years of Experience

was 3-4 last year, but I have a interstate highway redesign coming up with 2 state highways intersecting!! THAT is gonna be fun! lol

Years of Experience

last year being the worst because our state got alotttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt of money to redo all of our 4 lane rds going north out of the state....all because of the recent hurricanes....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

uhhh 7 projects that will take most of the summer... and of course that doesn't include any little projects (landscape, paving, small utility installs, building demos or anything that we couldn't kick out in a day) Out of those 7 only two really have any one call utilities so everything else is mine. Two of those are going on now and will constantly have locate requests coming in. One of those is deep in the bowels of the Terminal...mmmmmmmm Rebar and old conduit galore. Fun stuff.

As far as linear feet in one project alone we are installing over a mile of communication duct, like wise with the water line, storm line and I think we are just under a mile for the Forcemain. Thats not including the electrical which is not a straight run so trying to figure out the Linear feet would be time consuming.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    uhhh 7 projects that will take most of the summer... and of course that doesn't include any little projects (landscape, paving, small utility installs, building demos or anything that we couldn't kick out in a day) Out of those 7 only two really have any one call utilities so everything else is mine. Two of those are going on now and will constantly have locate requests coming in. One of those is deep in the bowels of the Terminal...mmmmmmmm Rebar and old conduit galore. Fun stuff.

As far as linear feet in one project alone we are installing over a mile of communication duct, like wise with the water line, storm line and I think we are just under a mile for the Forcemain. Thats not including the electrical which is not a straight run so trying to figure out the Linear feet would be time consuming.

mke
    Job security baby!
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Well, until I stop livin la vida SOFA I will not know for sure.

Assuming the company puts me back in my same territory, I will be busy with road widening, pipleline installs, and perhaps some subdivision development...the latter though is tough to say.

Then of course they give me lots of other scheduled stuff and fill any possibility of down time with doing homeowner locates.

Might get some piece meal work in during the odd evening or weekend if I am not too tired.
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

UGQ dude are you off vacation yet????? PM me with the details!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I just did a count of my open, actively-ongoing projects and a select few of my working As-needed projects.....OldSchoolLocator and I are currently managing between 55 and 60 ACTIVE projects in varying stages of completion. With 8 field guys of course -4 two-man crews.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    I just did a count of my open, actively-ongoing projects and a select few of my working As-needed projects.....OldSchoolLocator and I are currently managing between 55 and 60 ACTIVE projects in varying stages of completion. With 8 field guys of course -4 two-man crews.
    So you are saying 55 - 60 projects that you are running as a supervisor having your 8 techs handle??

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Not just myself, there are two of us. But yes, for 8 techs. You didn't specify it any other way. You just said "you guys". 50-60 Active projects.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

WE are currently working Verizon Projects in 3 cities - Plano, Allen and Frisco Texas. These areas already have ATT, Time Warner cable, 2 different Electric cos and a gas company that we do the locating for. Currently we have 3 full-time locators dedicated to these projects, plus about 8 other guys that are actually in those areas doing some work on the projects every day. Then, we have mandatory OT for 1/2 the crew of 20 on alternating week-ends. Also, there are usually several out of area volunteers here every week-end.

On top of this, we have a major road job going.

The kicker -during the week we have about 15 of the crew limited to 8 hr days - I kid you not!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast