Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NULCA Questions

Years of Experience

Default NULCA Questions

1. Are you a member of NULCA?

2. If not, what is preventing you from joining?

3. Would you be in favor of State Chapters?

4. Regional Chapters?

5. At Large Chapters?

6. Regional or At Large Locator Advisory Group?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: NULCA Questions

Quote Originally Posted by GWJ_CAS View Post
    Let me pose a few questions to all of you;

4. Regional Chapters?

5. At Large Chapters?

I am in favor of some form of certification or licensing but I need to hear from all sides and weigh the pros and cons. For this, we need participation from the very folks such rules would affect, the locators.

No

Technically no one is holding a gun to my, or other locator's, head.

There is a lack of apparent invitation to join extended to locators and the firms we work for, many of which have had their top management as NULCA Presidents, do not promote membership to the locators.

To paraphrase what I wrote before NULCA is the National Utility Locating Contractors Association, not the National Utility Locating Professionals Association.

Let's start with the NULCA website.

Welcome to NULCA!
    NULCA stands for the National Utility Locating Contractors Association. NULCA's formation represents a concerted effort by leading companies in the field to establish the highest standards to guide the industry's growth in both size and importance. NULCA members feel that their participation is important to maintain a connection for industry insight relating to a critical national service!

About NULCA
    NULCA, formed in 1994, is an organization of Contract Locators, Facility Owners, One-Call Centers, Excavators, S.U.E., and Industry Suppliers that share a common interest in safety and damage prevention. NULCA's mission is to define, establish, and maintain high standards and practices in the underground utility contract locating industry. Its top priority is the safety of the general public, excavators, and locating employees, and the organization seeks to accomplish its mission by partnering with facility owners, excavating contractors, suppliers and regulatory agencies and by taking a lead role in the elimination of underground facility damage.
    xxxxxxx

Okay, the above says it is an organization of people who run the locating industry but are not themselves locators. There is no appeal to the locator to join this organization as it seems to exclude locators.

That is just that page. When you look at the Board members page you get;

The President is Premier Utility Services Vice President

The Vice President is a Hance Utility Services Consultant

The Vice President is Krylon Products National Account Manager

The Secretary is OneVision Utility Services CEO

At Large (Past President ) is ELM Locating & Utility Services President

Locating Seat is Connective Solutions Inc. (CSI) (IT firm ) President

Locating Seat (another one) is Safe Site Inc. Vice President

Locating Seat (still another one) is STS, LLC. President

Locating Seat ( another another one) is United States Infrastructure
    Vice President - Operations

Locating Seat (more another one) is On Target Utility Services
    Director of Risk Management

At Large is Geospatial & Corporation, Western Operations Manager

At Large is Excavac Corp. President

At Large is Metrotech - Vivax Corporation (job title not given)

Associate seat is Craig A. Smith & Associates Vice President

Associate seat is RadioDetection Sales Director

Executive Director is TWS Technical Services Vice President

That there is not a single locator present in NULCA leadership may be attributed to few locators becoming members. But for a locator this is not exactly an inviting place.

Plus if one were to become a member and push for certification it would be contrary to what some of those who run NULCA may want. These people are from the largest firms in our industry and I have no doubt that there are some there that do not want certification. They may voice support of certification but if they wanted certification we would have had it years ago.

So if locators, who are just employees, lobby for what their bosses do not want they are soon unemployed locators.

The NULCA, disregarding my opinion on certification, does not make itself inviting to locators. From the site it appears to be just for the bosses. And those bosses in the NULCA do not promote membership to the locators of their firms. (If there are locators out there who have been encouraged to join the NULCA by their employers please speak up! Please also say if this was for an SUE firm or a contract locating firm.)

Yes! A sate chapter could speak before the legislature when call before you dig legislation is to be voted on. They as professionals could lobby for changes in existing laws to improve them.

4. Regional Chapters?

Yes

5. At Large Chapters?

Perhaps like the for large areas that are do not have chapters. This way the area is covered and then state chapters can be formed and then these new state chapters into regional chapters.

Yes

Years of Experience
    lifetime

(1) not at present

(2) i will if certification comes into effect or if i take a job as a full time locator, yes i will

(3)-(6) good start
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post

No

Technically no one is holding a gun to my, or other locator's, head.

There is a lack of apparent invitation to join extended to locators and the firms we work for, many of which have had their top management as NULCA Presidents, do not promote membership to the locators.

To paraphrase what I wrote before NULCA is the National Utility Locating Contractors Association, not the National Utility Locating Professionals Association.

Let's start with the NULCA website.

Welcome to NULCA!
    NULCA stands for the National Utility Locating Contractors Association. NULCA's formation represents a concerted effort by leading companies in the field to establish the highest standards to guide the industry's growth in both size and importance. NULCA members feel that their participation is important to maintain a connection for industry insight relating to a critical national service!

About NULCA
    NULCA, formed in 1994, is an organization of Contract Locators, Facility Owners, One-Call Centers, Excavators, S.U.E., and Industry Suppliers that share a common interest in safety and damage prevention. NULCA's mission is to define, establish, and maintain high standards and practices in the underground utility contract locating industry. Its top priority is the safety of the general public, excavators, and locating employees, and the organization seeks to accomplish its mission by partnering with facility owners, excavating contractors, suppliers and regulatory agencies and by taking a lead role in the elimination of underground facility damage.
    xxxxxxx

Okay, the above says it is an organization of people who run the locating industry but are not themselves locators. There is no appeal to the locator to join this organization as it seems to exclude locators.

That is just that page. When you look at the Board members page you get;

The President is Premier Utility Services Vice President

The Vice President is a Hance Utility Services Consultant

The Vice President is Krylon Products National Account Manager

The Secretary is OneVision Utility Services CEO

At Large (Past President ) is ELM Locating & Utility Services President

Locating Seat is Connective Solutions Inc. (CSI) (IT firm ) President

Locating Seat (another one) is Safe Site Inc. Vice President

Locating Seat (still another one) is STS, LLC. President

Locating Seat ( another another one) is United States Infrastructure
    Vice President - Operations

Locating Seat (more another one) is On Target Utility Services
    Director of Risk Management

At Large is Geospatial & Corporation, Western Operations Manager

At Large is Excavac Corp. President

At Large is Metrotech - Vivax Corporation (job title not given)

Associate seat is Craig A. Smith & Associates Vice President

Associate seat is RadioDetection Sales Director

Executive Director is TWS Technical Services Vice President

That there is not a single locator present in NULCA leadership may be attributed to few locators becoming members. But for a locator this is not exactly an inviting place.

Plus if one were to become a member and push for certification it would be contrary to what some of those who run NULCA may want. These people are from the largest firms in our industry and I have no doubt that there are some there that do not want certification. They may voice support of certification but if they wanted certification we would have had it years ago.

So if locators, who are just employees, lobby for what their bosses do not want they are soon unemployed locators.

The NULCA, disregarding my opinion on certification, does not make itself inviting to locators. From the site it appears to be just for the bosses. And those bosses in the NULCA do not promote membership to the locators of their firms. (If there are locators out there who have been encouraged to join the NULCA by their employers please speak up! Please also say if this was for an SUE firm or a contract locating firm.)

Yes! A sate chapter could speak before the legislature when call before you dig legislation is to be voted on. They as professionals could lobby for changes in existing laws to improve them.

4. Regional Chapters?

Yes

5. At Large Chapters?

Perhaps like the for large areas that are do not have chapters. This way the area is covered and then state chapters can be formed and then these new state chapters into regional chapters.

Yes

yall can say what you want...........BUT this guy is my hero!!! ......dude....when do you have the time to think of all this???? and then to write it????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I second what he just said!!! dude,,,,,hate to say it but when i go to the site i can't even understand the first paragraph and what i could possibly do to help that group?????? i keep saying that same thing ..is that site for locaters???? or i mean people at the bottom of the bottom.....
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    yall can say what you want...........BUT this guy is my hero!!! ......dude....when do you have the time to think of all this???? and then to write it????
    I just listen to the voices in my head. They do all the thinking.

Years of Experience

hahahhahaahah good one dude..........pass that to me so i can take a hit>>>>> haahhahahahahahhahhaa

Sorry GWJ but the simple fact that Vinny M. from Premier is the President is good enough reason for me to NOT become a member of NULCA in ANY capacity.

He AND the company he works for has NO interest in ANYTHING to do with Locators. Locators are a means to generate revenue and can be REPLACED a dime a dozen.

That company and it's officers have positioned themselves with A. NULCA B. NYC/LI One Call (DIG NET) along with the 2 MAJOR utilities in NYS (Whom they have CONTRACTS WITH) and I'm pretty sure they are working on NJ, PA, MA and Ohio One Calls to further their OWN agendas that have ZERO to do with Locators.

I despise that man, his company and everything they are involved in.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

AUL .... uhhh, how do you really feel?

just kidding.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

1. Are you a member of NULCA? Negatory good buddy.

2. If not, what is preventing you from joining? Cost, and the unknown. The unknown is the efectiveness of the oginization. Not sure exactly what they can do for me on the far side of the country.

3. Would you be in favor of State Chapters? State chapters, or an acceptance of current orginizations as being "affiliates"

4. Regional Chapters? uhhh, ditto

5. At Large Chapters? same, same.

6. Regional or At Large Locator Advisory Group? wouldn't the regional chapters be the same? or at least provide the same services?

My biggest concerns about NULCA is the coordination with other similar orginizations. I know there is already orginizations here in my state, and the states i'm near. Why doesn't NULCA coordinate with existing councils and work to either help combine all councils for the betterment of the locators, or help orginize a national agency that each council has a representative in? For example. NULCA could be the local agency from their area, the OUNC could be the one from my area, and we could have local elections to elect a representative to go onto a national board to help guide the industry? Each state has different laws to take into consideration.

And no i'm not trying to advocate for a Union... look at my past posts....i'm not necissarily a fan of Unions. I'm just thinkin out loud.

so here is some questions for you GWJ....

1)As a locator, how effective has the NULCA been advocating for locators needs?

2)Does NULCA adjust certian meeting times to help include field locators?

3)Can NULCA adjust the membership fee for working field loctors due to their lack of time for attending meetings and other responsibilities, but yet still be included via E-mail or written ballots for any official NULCA elections, or surveys for industry information?

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

<SNIP>

so here is some questions for you GWJ....

<SNIP>

2)Does NULCA adjust certian meeting times to help include field locators?
    <SNIP>

mke
    Not only times but locations. The corporate CEOs and VPs can travel on the company dime. If not the company dime they still have much higher salaries. So meeting at other sites around the country would open up the meetings to locators. Plus the meeting would have to be on weekends or evenings for locators to even have an opportunity to attend.

For most locators air fare, car rental, hotel rooms and all meals at restaurants puts participation out of reach.

Consider this - start by conducting the meetings as a webcast so locators can at least observe.

I will GUARANTEE expenses DON'T come out of Marchese's pockets.

It's a BUSINESS expense, to network, shmoose, kiss ass and generate more clients for Premier to increase markets and profits.

Again, it DOESN'T HAVE SHIT TO DO with Locators!!!

If I am wrong PROVE ME WRONG and I will retract EVERY NEGATIVE statement I have made. That's my WORD!

Years of Experience
    lifetime

i know i'm new here and my voice has no bearing but some of you whine like little girls ( no harm intended toward the female members) ,

if you want change, create change...if you're not the solution, your the problem

bitching about how the companies are against you, how unimportant you are to them, change that feeling by becoming important. do something

take the negative and turn it positive.

form your own utility locator's for educational awareness or something like that

oh i forget that it's easier to sit back and piss and moan on a national forum where nobody can look into your eyes and see for themselves what your made of.

right now i don't see change coming soon to this industry, it might take some commitment and hard work

i thank you for your time
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
    i know i'm new here and my voice has no bearing but some of you whine like little girls ( no harm intended toward the female members) ,

if you want change, create change...if you're not the solution, your the problem

bitching about how the companies are against you, how unimportant you are to them, change that feeling by becoming important. do something

take the negative and turn it positive.

form your own utility locator's for educational awareness or something like that

oh i forget that it's easier to sit back and piss and moan on a national forum where nobody can look into your eyes and see for themselves what your made of.

right now i don't see change coming soon to this industry, it might take some commitment and hard work

i thank you for your time
    I think what you see with the others is anger, they are very angry and are venting it.

In this industry the CEO, VP , foreman, office manager, district manger and except for one employee position only incur expenses, they do not generate income.

Sure the CEO and others can negotiate a new contract but that does not get one penny paid to the firm.

Only the locator does anything that generates income. The locator is the core of this industry.

As seen locators can get fired for no real reason and often because someone higher up dislikes them. Do not get me wrong, there are many that do things that they deservedly get fired for. But many locators that work hard and do a good job get kicked out the door for no real reason.

In another thread one locator wrote of how he was told he had to be laid off due to work load or whatever by order of corporate. But no more than 8 weeks later his firm is advertising to hire new locators and apparently never recalled him to work.

These are people who have worked hard and done a good job and still gotten shafted one way or another.

Also many locators, who are the only ones making money for the firm, are treated with disdain and contempt by their managers. Many of these complaining locators are more professional in their work than their managers.

So you are seeing a lot of anger lashing out and along with it a lot of distrust and frustration.

Anger has to be released somehow and whining is better than shooting up the office.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hey 1eye,

Most of the pissing and moaning comes from years of working with public utilities.

If Memory serves me right, you got 10yrs in, as a locator, but most of wich is locating irrigation lines and faults, right?

You admitingly said that you probably don't do the ammount of locates the public guys do in a day, in a week. Right?

These guys are consistantly thrown to the wolves, and are beat down during the construction season, so when, or if there is slow times, they are trying to recover and prepare for the next high season. They probably don't make as much as you, and probably won't, but they make too much to start over, or take the leap into buisness for themselves.

Their pissing and moaning comes from the fact they have an incredible ammount of liability and responsibility on their shoulders, they unload here, because we all have been there, and understand. Maybe its a failed attempt to get their point to people who can change things, but don't criticize them for venting. Thats when the anger will come out, and it brings this board down.

As for companies thinking we are unimportant? I had the owner of the company I used to work for state "I can't pay you anymore, Locating is an uneducated field of service. If I pay you more, you need to provide more services then just locating".

at that time, the company only had 4 employees, I was the one with the most senority. I also did all the Sewer inspections, Handled two contracts, one was a one-call contract that had 4-20 locates a day. The other was a large industrial company that requested work 1-3 a week. That was on top of the Private locates I did. I was also the go to guy on difficult locates, out of town locates, and High profile clients( either where paint could not be used, or an extremely pickey client.

All That, and I was still considered "un-educated", which was hilarious, because I have a degree, it just doesn't pertain to locating.

as the old saying goes, what doesn't kill us.........

mke

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast