View Poll Results: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cast Iron

19 18.63%
  • Inserted Services

31 30.39%
  • Tracer Tape

9 8.82%
  • Street Lights

12 11.76%
  • Fiber

19 18.63%
  • Other, please enlighten us

12 11.76%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Default Re: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Forms naturally in manure treatment and containment units too. Kills quickly. Pockets of it are all over the country.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

A Good Locate Company!

Years of Experience

that's messed up dude!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    A Good Locate Company!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think John is back.......Welcome back John.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

TMO
    Years of Experience

i hate to run an really old cast main, ive had to get help on these before , and that sucks.

Years of Experience

I'm surprised that not more of us chose tracer tape. I have come across a number of companies that have used this crap instead of tracer wire and expect it to be locatable. Tacer tape breaks apart ws soon as they back fill and any connection is lost. I am man enough to say I am wrong, if so prove it....Is there anyone here who has suggestions on locating this stuff?

Years of Experience

Locate Mack: The best high frequency locator on the market will give you the best chance of locating the worst conductors.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

hey Mack, There is no real good way to locate the metalic warning tape. Its more for the future diggers who are going to see the tape before they destroy the conduits or pipe. Usually there is no way to connect to the tape, so the only real way to locate it is induction. depending on the tape, your equipment, and your experience you might be able to locate it. Emphasis on "Might". I have found that even recently place tape locates like crap and its integrity degenerates the longer it stays in the ground. Most of the time 5yrs down the road you probably won't be able to find large sections of the utility, but you might be able to find enough of it to "piece" the locate together.

Mke

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    hey Mack, There is no real good way to locate the metalic warning tape. Its more for the future diggers who are going to see the tape before they destroy the conduits or pipe. Usually there is no way to connect to the tape, so the only real way to locate it is induction. depending on the tape, your equipment, and your experience you might be able to locate it. Emphasis on "Might". I have found that even recently place tape locates like crap and its integrity degenerates the longer it stays in the ground. Most of the time 5yrs down the road you probably won't be able to find large sections of the utility, but you might be able to find enough of it to "piece" the locate together.

Mke
    I used the good old pipe horn on this and got the best results. This was followed a close second with the Metrotech810. Both using inductive mode.

Years of Experience

Good ole Street Lite wire is my enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Si, I helped a excavator find a 18" Transite sanitary force main. I was within 3' of guessing where it was, no blowoffs or anything else to get measurments off of. And the road was realigned since its placement. The excavator decided to go off of the City locators paint (10ft off) and broke the pipe..........mmmmmmmmmm fun stuff.

mke
    USW/QWEST telco in Denver metro, cast iron gas, plastic inserts, a utility owner that gives a crap about how their plant locates

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

They might care more that close to their main office......... However I tried to get a tracer wire pulled through their FO duct out here in OR for close to a year, and the only reason they did it was the fact that a Contractor got really pissed off when I put "Caution, Unlocateable Fiber in area- Hand Dig Only" for over 1500' of their locate. They proceeded to yell at anyone from Qwest the could get on the phone. I have also had multiple conversations that consisted of "You have fiber here" and them saying "Our records show no Optical Fibers there."

Sorry, Qwest/USW leaves a bad taste in the mouths of most of the locators here in the Pacific Northwest.

mke

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Fiber, but it all depends if a good contractor ran the tracer or a dumba@@ contractor ran the tracer. Or, ta dah, if they even ran a tracer with the fiber. Try locating a fiber with no tracer.

Yeah the water tape is a fun one, best you can hope for is to piece it together, which works decently sometimes. Just did a job last week where I had a 3 way intersection, running gas back from each direction and couldn't locate the junction points because of the good ole' inserted crap...gotta love that too. Especially when you see brand new looking tracer in valves, that is useless because its not tied in properly....Also I know what your saying with the unlocatable fiber MKE and putting down the cautionary hand dig only marks...I have done this on several occasions...and whats ironic about Qwest saying that they're prints show no records of fiber being in that spot, is the fact that they decided not to update they're own maps because it would cost more money then paying for the fiber damages themselves....talk about irony.

Years of Experience

Recently our h2o dept put in a few 10-20" hdpe mains. they failed to bring up a single tracer wire, then buried the mains to 20 feet. They then proceeded to ask the locator why he was having a hard time inducing them. In this busy intersection they had no concept of the reality of trying to induce a little wire by Gas, fiber, electric, telco, cable, and abandoned h2o.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast