View Poll Results: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cast Iron

19 18.63%
  • Inserted Services

31 30.39%
  • Tracer Tape

9 8.82%
  • Street Lights

12 11.76%
  • Fiber

19 18.63%
  • Other, please enlighten us

12 11.76%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Which is the most difficult to locate?

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    OVUS, your tag says "Nasty Old Owner." Do you still the opportunity to go out and locate?
    On occassion I'm able to get back out on a locate, although I don't put paint on the ground (how would it look if I had a damage?). I do spend a lot of time in the field - just came back from a week in Virginia meeting all the employees that I could and upgrading some of our trucks with a maintenence module install. I have some great OPS managers and I generally screw things up when I go out to the field, so they encourage me to stay in the office. However, we maintain an open-door policy, and I will get involved if/when the situation requires it.

Most of my time is spent fighting with the regulators (or wannabee's), working on projections, meeting with bankers, attorneys, industry reps, other owners, existing and prospective customers, attending conferences, etc. We have three divisions (Public, Private, and Software), so I am mostly tied to admin work these days .
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

As much fun as all of that sounds, I think I'd rather be slinging the paint. The difference between a bucket of crap and an attorney is usually the bucket.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

poly gas lines with busted or moved tracer lines. caused one of the most expensive damages I have seen. When the contractor installed they did not wrap the tracer around the 3" main they layed it 2" above the pipe but when the backfilled the tracer cravased to the right 12'' so my locat was off 12 inches. the contractor took the locate for gospell and did not pot hole you know what happens next. backhoe + bad tracerline - lack of pot hole = $130,000.00 damage and loss of backhoe. Thank God the operator is ok....
    TO FORGIVE IS DIVINE BUT TOO FORGET IS STUPID

Florida dig laws still require a 24 inch tolarance zone to either side of the mark, right?
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

rural addresses around here are the most difficult to locate because they dont put the numbers ON THEIR HOUSES OR MAILBOX.....You have to count like five or six houses down from the one guy with his head not in his ass who put the numbers on his mailbox

I don't do rural, I just remember doing it for like 2 weeks about 9 months ago.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scap View Post
    rural addresses around here are the most difficult to locate because they dont put the numbers ON THEIR HOUSES OR MAILBOX.....You have to count like five or six houses down from the one guy with his head not in his ass who put the numbers on his mailbox

I don't do rural, I just remember doing it for like 2 weeks about 9 months ago.

I hear ya brother!!!

Though in Alberta where I locate, the government established a grid pattern (back in the 1890's I think) to identify every section of land in the province, (one section of land=one square mile). If you understand how to read them, you can come to within 40 acres of the actual locate.

Of course you young-uns probably just use GPS!
    Success is a journey, not a destination...

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    I hear ya brother!!!

Though in Alberta where I locate, the government established a grid pattern (back in the 1890's I think) to identify every section of land in the province, (one section of land=one square mile). If you understand how to read them, you can come to within 40 acres of the actual locate.

Of course you young-uns probably just use GPS!
    Nope, I did the same thing here. 4-160 acre plots plotted between roads every mile North, South, East, and West. It's how the quarter-sections were staked for the land-runs around here way back when. The oil field companies adopted the system and was responsible for the creation of the roads for the most part.

In fact it's how the utility companies navigate and lay out their prints as well here. They're called legals. Each 6 mile square is assigned a North/South designator and a East/West designator (eg: 13N6W), then each square is broken into 36 1 mile squares and assigned a number, so 13N6W16 will give you the 1 mile section, finally each of these are broken in "quarter-sections" of NW, NE, SE, and SW. At the bottom of every ticket this legal appears. A legal showing 13W6W16NW will tell you within 160 acres (or 40 acres along the bordering road) where the address is. Makes rural navigation a dream if you can grasp it.

It's also how we learn to navigate here. Locators here route their tickets by legals before they even look at the addys. Makes it easy to route an area you've never been in.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Have to agree with SprayandPray about the unjacketed concentric neutral power,the
    boys @JEA use to love dealing with that stuff in the old days.Had to hop-box it with an
    810 to locate about 250'-300' spans at a time,glad that stuff has been mostly replaced.

Years of Experience

Bump for newbie votes!

Ever tried to locate an asbestoes/croncrete or transite water main?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Si, I helped a excavator find a 18" Transite sanitary force main. I was within 3' of guessing where it was, no blowoffs or anything else to get measurments off of. And the road was realigned since its placement. The excavator decided to go off of the City locators paint (10ft off) and broke the pipe..........mmmmmmmmmm fun stuff.

mke

my vote is the wooden water mains and aquaducts in NJ... Or maybe the new Fios services with no tracer, try to locate them....
    I've had some issues w/ old lead phone cable in Fla.

Years of Experience

If it was easy, everybody would be doin it! This is specialized stuff and you guys are the masters!

Sour gas lines with CPS (Cathodic Protection System) and corrosion issues are horrible. Some of the oilpatch guys here can attest. Many brands will not even pick up the pipe at all. RD, Ridgid, 810s, fisher etc. If an excavator hits a HP sour line, everyone in the area of the excavation is dead, regardless of ignition. So, we take it pretty serious.

The tougest to locate, obviously, are non-ferrous. Plastic, fibreglass, cement etc.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sour Gas Lines? Can you define that Rider? I've never heard that term used before. Thanks in advance.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

Sour gas is nasty stuff. They used to just leave it in the ground, but now that the technology has caught up, they're producing it now like crazy.

The short answer is that it is Natural Gas, but has hydrogen sulfide (H2S) in it. It'll kill you at only 800-1000ppm. They process it in the field and remove some of the gases (Hydrogen, propane, toulene, benzene etc) and the sulfer and presto change-o you have ready for market CH4 (NG).

At the well to the processing plants, often the pipes are ignorant. Corrosion, CPS, super thick coatings, insulated coatings, palstic pipes, fiberglass, stainless.

It can be a pretty dangerous environment and pretty difficult to locate if you don't take precautions and be well informed.

But, is it more dangerous to locate an intersection of a major road, or walking up to some crazy landowner's long driveway? We all take risks every day.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast