View Poll Results: What would you think if the company owner competed in the Locate Rodeo?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's an idiot

0 0%
  • Cool beans

14 66.67%
  • Leave competition to the real locators

5 23.81%
  • My owner can only locate the nearest buffet

2 9.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Locate Rodeo Question

Default Re: Locate Rodeo Question

I'm ALL FOR IT. I think there should be an Owner's Division in itself (although I'm sure it would be a pretty small list of those who show up or register).

I was ALWAYS taught to lead by example not rank. An owner out there showing his skill level does a couple of things. One, it shows he/she has heart to do this business and they aren't just pushing paper in an office. Two, it raises the confidence and moral of employees (not to mention PRIDE in the company).

A team is only as strong as the weekest person on it. If the weekest person is THE OWNER how good do you think the company is as a whole?

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    On the other hand, there are a lot of people out there who have a lot of respect for a boss who isn't afraid to dive in the trenches with them. Personally, I think your boss should not ask you to do anything that they would not be willing to do themselves if removed of the managerial roles they hold. Realistically, they are not going to run tickets, because they are busy running the show, but demonstrating that they can locate isn't a bad thing.
    I appreciate this quote. I am a manager and this is basically the model I try to follow. I figure if I can't do the job my employees are doing, as well as or better than they can they why would I be their boss? Am I not the one they look to to solve their difficult locate problems?

Also, I do run tickets. I won't sit here and claim I'm the most productive employee in the office, but I do earn at least my wages in revenue every week. After all, I am in fact busy "running the show". I usually try to grab a few early-start tickets from an employee that is loaded up pretty heavily when I get the chance. I've found that folks really appreciate that little bit of help when they need it. When I was a field tech, I always thought my bosses would be more in touch with the business if they would grab a pile of tickets now and then. It really does make a difference, and makes you more sympathetic and understanding of the problems the field techs face each and every day. Also, I'd be worthless at investigating damages and conducting field audits if I didn't keep my locating skills razor sharp. A good employee should be able to do his own job, the job of anyone he directly supervises, and be constantly learning the skills required of his own boss.

As far as the locate rodeo is concerned, I'm all for having any qualified employee compete in the event. If the manager happens to be the best qualified, so be it. I'm actually writing this just hours after competing in the rodeo myself. I would say that the owners of the larger companies most likely did not hire on as a field locate tech. They were more likely hired for their sales, marketing, and other business skills that are necessary to conduct the day to day operations of a large company. I'm absolutely fine with that. While it's important for me as an office manager to keep up on my locate skills, it's really not important for a CEO to do the same as he/she will probably never need to put them to the test. He has no employees directly under him that need locating skills either, so he really doesn't need those specific skills to assist his employees. I'd prefer he keeps his business sense sharp and keeps our company in the black so my wage, 401K, medical, and other benefits can remain solid in this rough economy.

Jared
    Last edited by Jared; July 25th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.

Well, I lost so apparently not all managers are the finest locators our there! However another manager from ELM, Phil Randazzo, did win 1st in the Locate from Hell. Go Phil!

John (?), the owner of OneVision did manage to get the highest score at one of the gas events, as did one of his crew.

Jared

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post

John (?), the owner of OneVision did manage to get the highest score at one of the gas events, as did one of his crew.

Jared
    Well I would hope so, lol.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Thanks for coming down everyone; hope you had a great time! I did. Congradululations to all the feeder event winners!
    See ya' next year. Take home some sweet tea and boiled peanuts.
    Remember"Keep it in the gound during the season of the ditch!"

I hope everyone there had a good time, and don't forget to share the stories. Many of us will not ever get the chance to go, so we must rely on everyone else that can.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Let me say this -

If I had a wish - just one wish

I'd wish for a day just like yesterday, where the clock was turned back for me and for one day I was doing what I love doing most with some of the best the industry has. It was like an aging minor league ballplayer getting a chance for one day in the bigs....

Selfish? Ahhh, most likely, and I apologize if that offends anyone. For those that really know me they understand my decision and motivation.

My hat is off to all the volunteers who worked their butts off, to those nuts driving those $#@&$ golf carts (NASCAR needs you), to all the competitors that made it through Friday night and still were able to actually compete Saturday (ohhh, my aching head), and most especially to all the old friends I saw and the new friends I made during the rodeo.

I'll also say the next time I consider buying locate kits for the crews, the biggest factor will be how heavy it is - right now I couldn't care less about frequencies or output levels, bluetooth, or versatility. That #&$@*# 4000 ( a GREAT piece of equipment Pete) was like carrying a dead body over my shoulder all day (I may have a worker's comp claim because of it, have to check with HR Monday).

From the heart, to everyone that touched this event in any way - thanks for making an old man young again......
    Last edited by OVUS1; July 27th, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    I hope everyone there had a good time, and don't forget to share the stories. Many of us will not ever get the chance to go, so we must rely on everyone else that can.
    Plan on being there next year Beyond. You let me know when you are ready and I'll make sure you are registered and paid for. But YOU will need to make sure you can get time off to come (I doubt if your HR manager will appreciate me calling to see if you can take time)!
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12