View Poll Results: Does Russian President Putin deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 25.00%
  • No

12 75.00%
Like Tree10Likes
  • 5 Post By TheCableVine
  • 2 Post By daman1
  • 3 Post By jayc

Thread: Does Putin deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

Years of Experience

Default Does Putin deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

Russian President Vladimir Putin has been nominated for the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize award for his attempt to prevent a US strike on Syria! President Putin, the former KGB agent, “actively promotes settlement of all conflicts arising on the planet.”

A few caveats:

This isn't Putin's first nomination.

The committee will be taking Putin's recent expression of interest in Crimean real estate into account.

This year's list of nominees has a record 278 names on - including Edward Snowden and Pope Francis - meaning Putin's nomination hardly ensures him a win.

Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin were both nominated at one time. Neither of them won.

President Obama won, even though he's "really good at killing people."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Does Putin deserve the Nobel Peace Prize?

The nobel peace prize has become political. People have gotten it that have done very little to promote peace. Those that deserve the prize are people you and I have never heard of. People who have dedicated their lives to promoting peace and ending violence.

The nobel peace prize has become a joke.
    daman1, locatethis, Mark and 2 others like this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    17 years

“actively promotes settlement of all conflicts arising on the planet.”

If you consider locking everyone up in a cell and drugging them, then all conflicts are settled. I'd rather deal with a bunch of combative a$$holes and be free myself, but that's just me. I haven't evolved from that old school 20th century thought yet.

Guess I'll have to vote yes on Putin. The bar has been lowered to where my border collie can win one.

She's accomplished and mastered the frisbee. More than some recent winners........ Just sayin.......
    Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The Nobel Prize system itself has become degraded.

Heard of the Nobel Prize in Economics? Sure, but there isn't one. Mr. Nobel chartered the prize committee and limited it to Physics, Chemistry, Physiology or Medicine, Literature, and Peace .

The Nobel Prize for economics was created and funded by a bank in 1968. More accurately it is a prize in economics in honor of Mr. Nobel. Thanks to the influx of money from money making business, a bank, both in an endowment and yearly contributions the prize is awarded as if it were one of Mr. Nobel's real prize awards.

So yes, the appearance that the Nobel Peace Prize is politically influenced is credible.

Years of Experience

Obama got it for doing nothing - and ruining the country in the process.
    TheCableVine, Wingfoot and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Obama won "...for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. The Committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons."
    He did mention in his speech that his selection would seem weird to people cause he leads a country in 2 wars.

you pretty much need to do just one good thing and you're in because of the way prize people are put up for nomination. All other prize nominees are chosen by professional academies or associations, whilst..

According to the statutes of the Nobel Foundation, a nomination is considered valid if it is submitted by a person who falls within one of the following categories:

-Members of national assemblies and governments of states
    -Members of international courts
    -University rectors; professors of social sciences, history, philosophy, law and theology; directors of peace research institutes and foreign policy institutes
    -Persons who have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
    -Board members of organizations that have been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize
    -Active and former members of the Norwegian Nobel Committee; (proposals by members of the Committee to be submitted no later than at the first meeting of the Committee after February 1)
    -Former advisers to the Norwegian Nobel Committee )

That's why there's so many nominees. Inevitably weirdos will get submitted. Vladimir was submitted by pro-russian group. The actual selection is also made by committee made by the Norwegian Parliament (unlike all the other prizes), so yeah, it's very political too. If I remember right they also don't have to reveal who elected/submitted who for like 50 years (unless the group/person reveals it themselves, which is what the russian group did).

Years of Experience

Don't try to sell me on any liberal crap. Obama did nothing to deserve being nominated. NOTHING. He's not even qualified for the position of President, but all the simpletons out there elected him because they thought they were going to get free stuff.

Years of Experience

uhhh.............
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!

Years of Experience

uh.....is right ! what's the nobel peace prize ? WHO CARES !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato