View Poll Results: Should Locators be certified/licensed using an industry wide standard?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Without a doubt

47 70.15%
  • Yes. Eventually

7 10.45%
  • Maybe... not sure

5 7.46%
  • No. We've gotten along without it so far.

2 2.99%
  • No. Leave us alone.

6 8.96%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Do you think there should be National certification/licensing of Utility Locators?

Default Re: Do you think there should be National certification/licensing of Utility Locators?

No. I don't think I will. I like you just the way you are.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Do you think there should be National certification/licensing of Utility Locators?

Quote Originally Posted by KaineF View Post
    What Government involvement are you referring to? Enlighten us o' wise one
    I guarantee you Homeland Security knows who we are, what we do, and what we are capable of........

John
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Doesn't have to be a government-led certification, it could simply be a professional organization that puts togther a comprehensive process and then starts taking action. The notion that somehow the certifying party could be held liable for the actions of a certified technician is ridiculous. That argument is being used by some owners to stop or slow down certification because they know they will have to dig deeper when that day comes, the bar is finally raised, and we are all certified professionals. An electrician that installs a panel with shoddy workmanship doesn't cause the electrical industry that certified him to get sued! Any certifying entity can have all persons sign legal documents that holds them harmless in such an event. I guess that means if I have a wreck somehow the DMV is at fault because after all they are the ones that certified I am a competent driver, right? Just think of all the money that every locate company now spends on training programs. If they pooled all that money and all that training data for the collective good of the industry what do you think the results would be?

John
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

What do you guy's really think this will do for us? Make us feel better or something? If we become certified, do you really think the companies will start paying us better or something because we have some certification badge or whatever? What is this gonna do for the guy's that already take great pride in locating? I must be missing the point.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    What do you guy's really think this will do for us? Make us feel better or something? If we become certified, do you really think the companies will start paying us better or something because we have some certification badge or whatever? What is this gonna do for the guy's that already take great pride in locating? I must be missing the point.
    It's a simple matter of supply and demand. Today, any company can hire a person, teach them how to locate in a week and send them out in the field. If there were higher standards that companies had to follow to certify a locator then it would seem that locators wouldn't be so easy to produce so, certified locators would be in demand.
    Twitchin Witcher likes this.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    Government minimum standards for this job may not be the disaster people foresee , after all the CDL requirement has not destroyed the trucking industry.

The requirements need not be just on locating skills but the general job skills needed.

Ability to speak and read English. We actually had one prospect make to the classroom training who barley spoke English. He had just learned to fake it so he sounded like he was properly responding. The instructor became suspicious and asked him some nonsense questions, like would a blue elk need amps or volts?, and he would answer "okay" , "Yes sir" and so on.

Ability to read and comprehend English. Many can read but not understand what the words as they are used mean and this is not only for those who English is not their native tongue. Questions such as 'Mark starting 120' south of the south east corner of above intersection for 200 feet. Many people cannot figure out where the area to mark is.

Along with comprehension of the written word is the ability to read a map as marking direction are often use map locations in their directions. Many people cannot read a map.

Basic math skills may also be needed but not as mush as reading ability.

All the above items are basic skills that our locate instructors are not prepared to teach. Give a prospect tests on the abode items and have them fill it out with their job application. They don't pass that part don't waste time sending them to training.

Basic electricity though little more than ohms law and how a few things work, just enough to give comprehension to why the equipment we use works. For those unfamiliar you would be surprised how much this knowledge can be useful in the field.

Then of course ability to pass a test on job skills specific to our industry.

Safety should also be part of training and requirement as public safety is why the call before you dig laws were enacted. What to do when gas or electric lines are cut or you walk upon a gas leak.
    I've been locating for a long time, and there are lots of thing I do not know, such as understanding ohm's, alot of symbols on gas prints, electric prints, phone and tv prints. I believe my locating experience is the only thing that gets me by with the that lack of knowledge. My sup talks high tech words about prints sometimes that I dont understand.

At USIC, if you have a vectren gas damage, you have to take a 50 question test for recertification to locate their lines. I have seen that test, and if I had to take it, I know I would probably fail it and I've been locating gas for 15 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by superman View Post
    I've been locating for a long time, and there are lots of thing I do not know, such as understanding ohm's, alot of symbols on gas prints, electric prints, phone and tv prints. I believe my locating experience is the only thing that gets me by with the that lack of knowledge. My sup talks high tech words about prints sometimes that I dont understand.

At USIC, if you have a vectren gas damage, you have to take a 50 question test for recertification to locate their lines. I have seen that test, and if I had to take it, I know I would probably fail it and I've been locating gas for 15 yrs.
    If you have not taken the 50 Q test before, how are you qualified to locate gas?
    The regulatory commission here requires that all locators be OQ by the operators standards before locating their facilities. USIC has to present the locator's test scores to the operator before the locator can do the work.

Years of Experience

Well Steve, are your recommendations about the same as Mke's to get this thing started? Is there an easier way? Something that would be easy to get us all on board? Is there anything we could get going on the Vine that would help?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    It's a simple matter of supply and demand. Today, any company can hire a person, teach them how to locate in a week and send them out in the field. If there were higher standards that companies had to follow to certify a locator then it would seem that locators wouldn't be so easy to produce so, certified locators would be in demand.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123