View Poll Results: cheap boots or expensive boots

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • cheap 50$ or less

13 23.21%
  • expensive 50$ or more

43 76.79%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: cheap boots or expensive boots?????

Default Re: cheap boots or expensive boots?????

I'm with beyond help, I've had my red wings for about 3 years, most comfortable boots you could ever buy, Your red wing dealer should be giving you free laces. I go about every 4 months and get mine free

Years of Experience

thanks to all of you for your info!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I got a $100 pair of chippiwas that are 2.5 years old, almost done, and probably the most comfortable pair ever. (thats why they are ALMOST dead!) My $180 waterproof rocky's? I CAN'T STAND THEM! GREAT quality boot, they are wearing like iron, but NOT something I can walk long distances in. Next pair will be more chips, even if they are not waterproof.

Years of Experience

where do you buy chippiwas at phoenix827?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yahoo View Post
    where do you buy chippiwas at phoenix827?????
    Got mine @ BOBS store up here, but there are a couple small boot/shoe shops that can get them too.
    try here for a start. http://www.chippewaboots.com/dealers/default.asp

Years of Experience

10-4 dude thanks for the info!!!!

I'm about to get a pair of some Durashocks and put in some expensive inserts. I think it'll make me a more productive locator. After all, when your feet start killing you, it makes you want to head out around 4:30 instead of putting in a 12 hour day.
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by bareclaw View Post
    I'm with beyond help, I've had my red wings for about 3 years, most comfortable boots you could ever buy, Your red wing dealer should be giving you free laces. I go about every 4 months and get mine free
    See,

Here in Louisiana I am bestowed upon shitbox ghetto homes in need of sewer repair, and in lowland areas to begin with I could be stepping in 3 inches of water around 8-9am. I have been tying plastic bags to my dr martens off at the ankle with elec tape, before heading out to sewer repair jobs or roto rooter jobs of any kind, lol...I look like a ****in eskimo rollin up to the jobsite but ****it, I don't care, as long as my feet stay dry.

That's what I'm lookin for, a boot that laces up and is waterproof, and is the pinnacle of comfort. I'll pay 200.. Pretty sure they don't exist though
    "The truth is rarely pure and never simple"-Oscar Wilde

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by beyond help View Post
    I've had the same pair of boots for about 3 1/2 yrs now. I just use wool socks in the winter. I used to go thru 40 dollar boots every few months. I spent 225 on my red wings (ya, ya, I live in Detroit, and my boots match my hockey sweater). I just keep them in good shape, had them resoled about a year ago. I spend about 20 bucks a year on laces and boot oil and waterprofing things per year. Hope to have them for a while longer.
    +1 on the Red Wings, I can't afford to keep buying cheap shit. I look at it as an investment. The cheap shit Walmart is selling hurts my feet, Red Wings make my feet feel great all day every day. I wanna feel good all day dammit! I put those gel pad things in right away and man, they feel great.

Just keep them boots cleaned & oiled (whatever you buy) and they will last.

Years of Experience

Can't believe you brought this thread back today I just spent the last hour shopping the net for new boots I think I will go with Belleville gore tex. I found some nice 8' high on ebay for around 50 bucks.

Years of Experience

I should mention I will be spending the foreseeable future in my bunny boots not gonna see double digits for at least a week

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

i have 11 or 13" belleville with gortex. Walking around with wool sock I can go down into the 20's. also have bates with gortex. I like that the tongue is sewn all the way. I can go into 10" of water and no leaks. I clean them and seal them with sealant spray. Used around $50, new around $150

Years of Experience

There is a BIG difference in how some manufacturers use the term "Waterproof". Most boots under $100 will have just waterproof leather and some will also have "waterproof" construction (sealed seams and waterproof leather). This type of "waterproofing" is fine for walking the dog in a drizzle and not much else. The closest thing to complete waterproof protection is a boot with a waterproof liner/membrane like Gore-Tex. If the manufacturer and packaging does not specifically state "Gore-Tex" or "waterproof liner", then you're gonna get wet sooner rather than later. Also make sure that the liner inside the boot is high enough for your needs. An 8" boot might only have a waterproof liner up to the ankles. Gore-Tex ain't cheap. But, it's worth every penny to know that I do not have to worry about "seam sealed" leather.

Years of Experience
    30+

5.11 ATC 6" Side Zipper. $120 to $130

Boots... Where do i start!

Coming from a background in the Mining/Drilling Industry, ive had my fare share. From soft toe, steel toe, to Met-Guards. Boots are something you cannot skimp out on, just like eyeware(in my opinion). Ive used walmarts "Brama" Boots when in a bind, while waiting for a pair of Danners to be overnighted, their comfy for the first day, then after that, meh. It pays to buy quality boots, ive probably spent $2000 in the last 3 years on different boots, finding what works and what does not. Depending upon the conditions, I always have 2 pairs with me. Ariat Slip on's for days that ill be doing long stretches for projects, or some USA Made Chipawa's, Danners, or Whites when im shit kickin through construction sites.

You get what you pay for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast