View Poll Results: Should the scantily clothed female avatars be removed from this site?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    5 12.20%
  • No

    12 29.27%
  • No, and add a larger selection

    15 36.59%
  • I have no opinion

    2 4.88%
  • I think it's stupid to be discussing this.

    7 17.07%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 61 to 73 of 73

Thread: Avatar poll

  1. #61
    Junior Member COLOC8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Here I was thinking we were done with this, for pete sake!

    First, LetMeBeFrank. Thank you for trying to defend my honor. Not sure if it helped or hurt but at least I know that I am not standing alone. I believe that the intention behind this site at one time was to be taken seriously. I was one of those employers in the beginning who wondered what was the difference between this site and Underspace and why would employees be drawn to it but to bash their employers. But after taking the time to look it over I thought it would be a great tool if used properly. I will add that not once at anytime did I ever read anything negative about my company on this forum. Probably because I know how to talk to people and treat them right, unlike some of the people on this site.

    I agree with you LetMeBeFrank that if the managers of this site actually desired this forum to be taken seriously they would step in at times. While this forum has a lot of members, if you notice most take a look and leave or lurk and never say a word. I do not think it is because of the pictures that some might find offensive because they are not all over the place. Mind you, I have never mentioned the pictures within a post because those are hidden but quite honestly vulgar but I can deviate from them although I don't think anyone should have to steer away from anything, if this site is truly for anyone and everyone. I think the reason why most don't get involved is because of the reason clearly demonstrated here. Unless you say something that someone wants to hear, expect to be bashed and belittled. Expect that no one in the good old boy network really cares what you have to say. Most of the posts turn into rants with someone hurling insults just like this one. Isn't that what you claim is the problem with most of the employers and companies in this industry? Unless you are one of the boys, no one wants to hear what you have to say. I thought that was one of the reasons for this forum because people wanted to hear what you had to say. I guess not.

    LetMeBeFrank ... Since we are being honest, I do agree that there are places within this forum that contain pictures that clearly step over the line and degrade women. I, for the most part stay away from those particular places because the first time I did steer that way, I quickly got off the site. If the administrators want stuff like that on this forum, I am not here to tell them otherwise. That has not been my intention by asking a simple question BUT they might want to consider adding a warning in front of the topic. I did post a picture of a nude man with his privates covered as my avatar as a joke for about a day because I could tell that my question wasn't going to be taken seriously and I honestly thought what's good for one is good for the other. That is when the horse picture and other nude photo surfaced. I never stated that these avatar photos were pornographic but questioned if you allow them when do you draw the line? After someone uses an avatar that is pornographic? How do you now censor that when in part you opened the door?

    ifinditunderground ... What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to keep trying to drag my husband into this conversation? I do not know who LetMeBeFrank is but it is not my husband! Does my husband visit this forum? Yes. Is my husband a member? Yes. But I believe he has responded to one post on this forum that is not this one. Quite honestly, he does not take part on this forum because of the negativity and constant bashing. He is a professional and has been in the industry long enough that he has and could teach others on this site a thing or two about locating. He doesn't fight my battles for me as I certainly do not need him to. So now I am an asshole and a Troll. Nice! Get your facts straight. About the only thing that you have gotten right here is that some of the women in this industry are some of the best locators out there. But it seems to me that you are okay with what us women post as long as it only deals with tips and tricks to use in the field. God forbid we should ask a question or worse yet, have an opinion. By the way, I thought you were done.

    Steve ... You did imply that I started the poll ("Posting a poll in order to make changes to the site is not the way to do things... THEN when the poll doesn't go your way and nobody takes action over your concerns you post a picture equally offensive to the ones you are complaining about.") however I appreciate your claiming that it was a misunderstanding. My question was directed at you and perhaps I should have sent it to you directly. Whether anyone wants to believe me or not, I was not looking to stir the pot and I believe what did was the poll which was done by ifinditunderground. I was not asking you to censor your site just think about whether or not this is the direction in which you want it to go. As I asked before, where do you draw the line?

  2. #62
    Junior Member COLOC8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    finditunderground ... I would kindly ask that you remove any comments directed at or about my husband who has not taken any part of this conversation, including your tag "COLOC8 and Wife "Frank" for President in 2012!" Who is trying to stir the pot? My husband is well known, liked and respected in this industry. Can you say the same? Be a professional. He has not written a word or hurled one insult or comment at you.

    I actually find it funny that you would think that LetMeBeFrank was my husband because after checking out his/her profile, I can tell you for a fact that my husband does not like fishing.

  3. #63
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    finditunderground ... I would kindly ask that you remove any comments directed at or about my husband who has not taken any part of this conversation, including your tag "COLOC8 and Wife "Frank" for President in 2012!" Who is trying to stir the pot? My husband is well known, liked and respected in this industry. Can you say the same? Be a professional. He has not written a word or hurled one insult or comment at you.

    I actually find it funny that you would think that LetMeBeFrank was my husband because after checking out his/her profile, I can tell you for a fact that my husband does not like fishing.
    Married to a Man that doesn't like to fish ---- or maybe a man that isn't allowed to fish? Hmmmm?
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  4. #64
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    "First off, if the managers of this site actually desired this forum to be taken seriously within the industry, they would have set the tone themselves a long time ago by running herd on the guys who inject porn, tits and ass posts, which dominate this site."

    Who said Steve, who has created the best, biggest - if not the only - and longest lasting forum in the Industry needs to be taken "seriously". He has created a place where we can learn and enjoy the sharing of ideas, thoughts, hobbies, etc.. and yes, semi-nude pictures of women, and men(just look at Steve's avatar) on occasion.

    I won't mention any names, but some people need to remind themselves that opinions are like assholes- everyone has one and a lot of them stink!
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  5. #65
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    finditunderground ... I would kindly ask that you remove any comments directed at or about my husband who has not taken any part of this conversation, including your tag "COLOC8 and Wife "Frank" for President in 2012!" Who is trying to stir the pot? My husband is well known, liked and respected in this industry. Can you say the same? Be a professional. He has not written a word or hurled one insult or comment at you.

    I actually find it funny that you would think that LetMeBeFrank was my husband because after checking out his/her profile, I can tell you for a fact that my husband does not like fishing.
    Removed, and who said anything about fishing? And for the record, I don't think you are an asshole, just a Troll.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; April 2nd, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Steve for President in 2012!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


  6. #66
    Junior Member COLOC8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    No ... the post hasn't been removed.

    Still a troll? A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response. That wasn't my intention at all. I would like to think that there are better things that would cause some of you to have had such an emotional response.

  7. #67
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    No ... the post hasn't been removed.

    Still a troll? A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response. That wasn't my intention at all. I would like to think that there are better things that would cause some of you to have had such an emotional response.
    Ok, it's should be fine now COLOC8....

    Thanks for helping me to prove my point about you being a Troll.

    COLOC8 Posted: "Steve ... Not that you might mind, being a guy but is it really necessary for people to post naked pictures of women as their avatars or in their comments?" This was obviously inflammatory, 5 pages later and 1,100 views and it's still going strong.

    Off topic? Yep, that intentionally inflammatory statement was posted in a legitimate thread about S&N Communication and had nothing to do with scantily-clad women orAvatars.

    Inflammatory....Check.
    Off Topic......Check.
    Threadjacking......Check.

    Was that your intent? Maybe, maybe not.
    Does it still make you a troll? Yes.

    And to Frank.........Welcome back John,
    RD, I think your Radar is still tuned well.
    Last edited by ifinditunderground; April 2nd, 2011 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Steve for President in 2012!
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


  8. #68
    Senior Member Wingfoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Posts
    4,439
    Years of Experience
    20
    Rep Power
    190

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    And to Frank.........Welcome back John.
    OMG! Say it isn't soooooooooo!

    ---------------------------------------------

  9. #69
    Senior Member Enjoythefall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Top of the world.
    Posts
    170
    Years of Experience
    5
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    OK.

    I just don't get it.

    My avatar, as with the rest of my profile is my choice. It's personal preference and reflects only my thoughts and views, and in no way the thoughts and views of the community to which I belong. To assume that because some of the members here choose to post one type of image, all of the members respect and endorse said image is what we in the business like to call a "Logical fallacy".

    To go a step ahead of that illogical assumption and post that opinion in an offensive way, only to then act like a martyr when you get some gruff responses on the matter seems like the pot calling the kettle black.

    Having said that... I don't think my avatar is offensive at all. I think we're all adults. I think that images like mine aren't showing anything that you couldn't see walking down the street. I didn't find your short lived avatar attractive, but I don't think it was offensive either. It's called the human body.

    ... I also just asked my girlfriend of 5 years if she thought my avatar was offensive, or minded that I had posted it... and she does not. If anyone in the world had the right to be offended, it would be her.

  10. #70
    Senior Member RD_Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    U S A
    Posts
    669
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    Here I was thinking we were done with this, for pete sake!
    We were...(well I was)...Frank opened it back up.

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    First, LetMeBeFrank. Thank you for trying to defend my honor. Not sure if it helped or hurt but at least I know that I am not standing alone. I believe that the intention behind this site at one time was to be taken seriously. I was one of those employers in the beginning who wondered what was the difference between this site and Underspace and why would employees be drawn to it but to bash their employers. But after taking the time to look it over I thought it would be a great tool if used properly. I will add that not once at anytime did I ever read anything negative about my company on this forum. Probably because I know how to talk to people and treat them right, unlike some of the people on this site.
    What part of Public Forum don't you get? This is a site for individuals, who happen to share a single common denominator (Locating/Utilities), to share and communicate ideas, thoughts, frustrations, humor, etc. It isn't a "tool" dedicated solely to technical information sharing. Nor do I believe Steve meant it as such (correct me if I'm wrong here Steve!). Though an individual CAN use it as such if they so desire.

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    I agree with you LetMeBeFrank that if the managers of this site actually desired this forum to be taken seriously they would step in at times. While this forum has a lot of members, if you notice most take a look and leave or lurk and never say a word. I do not think it is because of the pictures that some might find offensive because they are not all over the place. Mind you, I have never mentioned the pictures within a post because those are hidden but quite honestly vulgar but I can deviate from them although I don't think anyone should have to steer away from anything, if this site is truly for anyone and everyone. I think the reason why most don't get involved is because of the reason clearly demonstrated here. Unless you say something that someone wants to hear, expect to be bashed and belittled. Expect that no one in the good old boy network really cares what you have to say. Most of the posts turn into rants with someone hurling insults just like this one. Isn't that what you claim is the problem with most of the employers and companies in this industry? Unless you are one of the boys, no one wants to hear what you have to say. I thought that was one of the reasons for this forum because people wanted to hear what you had to say. I guess not.
    "Seriously"...there's that word again. Like you think Steve set this up to be utilized by the industry as some sort of "tool" for Locating Companies benefit. (Though if they wanted to actually pay attention and RESPOND to some issues technicians voice that would be AWESOME.) This is a FORUM site for sharing among peers...not a business trying to find it's niche in the market.

    As far as responses to posts -*sigh*-, you can't reasonably expect to post an opinion on ANY public site and not expect someone of a differing point of view to respond. Some responses will be logical, reasonable, etc. Some (unfortunately) will be aggressive, inflammatory, "belittling", etc. Some will be supportive and of like mind. And some will simply be funny. It's the nature of the beast.You are free to post anything you want, voice any thought, support any stance....just don't expect nobody to respond. Those who take issue with your post are free to respond in their own fashion.

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    LetMeBeFrank ... Since we are being honest, I do agree that there are places within this forum that contain pictures that clearly step over the line and degrade women. I, for the most part stay away from those particular places because the first time I did steer that way, I quickly got off the site. If the administrators want stuff like that on this forum, I am not here to tell them otherwise. That has not been my intention by asking a simple question BUT they might want to consider adding a warning in front of the topic. I did post a picture of a nude man with his privates covered as my avatar as a joke for about a day because I could tell that my question wasn't going to be taken seriously and I honestly thought what's good for one is good for the other. That is when the horse picture and other nude photo surfaced. I never stated that these avatar photos were pornographic but questioned if you allow them when do you draw the line? After someone uses an avatar that is pornographic? How do you now censor that when in part you opened the door?
    Again. There is NO pornography ANYWHERE on this site. What YOU consider to be pornography, what I consider to be pornography, and what the next guy considers to be pornography may not be in agreement. So logic dictates we must use the definition as dictated by the law. Thats how people in a Democratic Republic function. I think one thing, you think another, in order to co-exist an unbiased representative group dictates where the line is for everyone. The rest is up to we as individuals to censor based upon our own personal definitions.

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    ifinditunderground ... What is your problem? Why do you feel the need to keep trying to drag my husband into this conversation? I do not know who LetMeBeFrank is but it is not my husband! Does my husband visit this forum? Yes. Is my husband a member? Yes. But I believe he has responded to one post on this forum that is not this one. Quite honestly, he does not take part on this forum because of the negativity and constant bashing. He is a professional and has been in the industry long enough that he has and could teach others on this site a thing or two about locating. He doesn't fight my battles for me as I certainly do not need him to. So now I am an asshole and a Troll. Nice! Get your facts straight. About the only thing that you have gotten right here is that some of the women in this industry are some of the best locators out there. But it seems to me that you are okay with what us women post as long as it only deals with tips and tricks to use in the field. God forbid we should ask a question or worse yet, have an opinion. By the way, I thought you were done.
    If you would like to read many of the posts in other threads written by the major players in this particular discussion, you will find many of us actually prefer women of strong natures and intelligence. I despise quiet submissive women. I for one would encourage posts by everyone, male or female. I simply re-iterate that you cannot reasonably expect to post an opinion and not expect a reply. Nor will those replies necessarily be to your liking.

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    I am beginning to wonder if this whole thing may be simply a matter of male vs. female communication techniques.

    You as a woman had an issue that caused a stress, and in the manner of female biological hardwiring, vocalized that stress. You may not have expected us to DO anything about it at all, just acknowledge that your concern was heard, perhaps empathize with your issue, and move on.

    We as men, (biologically hard-wired to find solutions or "fix" things), automatically responded by thinking you wanted something DONE. Because that's what WE would expect if we posted such a question. If a man has a problem, he doesn't communicate it until he has exhausted any and all other options at his disposal to "fix" the problem by himself. Talking about it is inviting solutions from others (NOT something we like to do). We of course didn't LIKE the idea of "fixing" something we don't feel is broken. LOL!

    Is it possible our male psyche's simply misunderstood your intent? Because we interpreted your post as a male would...that you wanted it fixed. Meaning, get rid of it.

    ...hmmm...
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

    Per Scientiam Vires!

  11. #71
    Junior Member COLOC8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Ifinditunderground ... I see that you changed "husband" to "friend". I do not know who LetMeBeFrank is but if you want to call him/her a friend to me for having my back, so be it.

    I'm sure that some of you will shout hallelujah but I'm done with this. I appreciate those of you that gave your opinion, whether I agree or not, because our differences is what makes the world what it is. It would be a pretty boring place if we all shared the same brain. That being said, I don't appreciate how you made this personal Ifinditunderground by trying to drag my husband into this and calling me a troll, among other things. I'm sure you could probably care less but as a moderator on this forum, you really should have been a little more professional. I belong to other forums and social networks and never has anyone said that I was a troll or that I crossed the line because I am not the pot stirrer that you've tried to make me out to be. I'm sure that you could care less what I have to say but hopefully you'll think twice before doing the same to someone else.

    RD_Wrangler ... I think maybe you've finally understood me a bit and where I am coming from. Not so much the stress part because believe me I didn't stress about this one bit. If you recall, I started my question off by saying that Steve is a guy meaning that it may not really matter to him or most other guys on this forum. And that is fine. I've been married a really long time. If I don't know by now that guys think differently then us gals, something is wrong with me. Could it be that you really are a nice guy?

  12. #72
    Senior Member RD_Wrangler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    U S A
    Posts
    669
    Years of Experience
    10
    Rep Power
    38

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    Quote Originally Posted by COLOC8 View Post
    RD_Wrangler ... I think maybe you've finally understood me a bit and where I am coming from. Not so much the stress part because believe me I didn't stress about this one bit. If you recall, I started my question off by saying that Steve is a guy meaning that it may not really matter to him or most other guys on this forum. And that is fine. I've been married a really long time. If I don't know by now that guys think differently then us gals, something is wrong with me. Could it be that you really are a nice guy?
    Nope. I'm an A$$hole. It's on my "about me", it's the first thing I told my wife when we met (I'm talking the FIRST thing...and she was still attracted , go figure), and it's a title I wear proudly. Ask around, I pull no punches, love a good fight, and have little to no concern about how others "feel", (unless it's my wife or daughter, then I'm a big wuss ).
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

    "Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

    Per Scientiam Vires!

  13. #73
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Avatar poll

    And we like you that way RD.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •