Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WTH is the deal with flags anyhow ?

Default WTH is the deal with flags anyhow ?

I dont get how it seems pretty much all of you guys (and gals) have to flag your locates.

Now, of course you cant flag on a road/sidewalk.. and those locates are acceptable... so it must be some concern about the paint coming out of the grass/dirt before the locate expires ?

We do 30 days for a locate to expire here, and you can still see the paint in the lawns past that. A dirt driveway would be lost (but then again so would the flags)..

We do put wood stakes in deep weeds or in the bush.. but not on someone's lawn.

Dont kids pick em out and stab each other with them etc ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

Default Re: WTH is the deal with flags anyhow ?

Sometimes... and sometimes poeople run over them with a lawnmower and want you to buy them a new house for the trouble.
    Where I am flags are used in new construction areas, heavy traffic areas, and always on gas. Most of the gas companies require flags and paint under contract. The other utilities, you throw flags when you need to based on whether you think your paint will stay put.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Herein Florida the contractor is responsible for the marks for 30 days. We take pictures of the marks and then it is up to the contractor to keep them up. If they are wiped out the contractor has to call in a NEW ticket. No refresh tickets are allowed. We have the photos to prove we marked the facilities.

Mke
    Years of Experience

I barely use flags, and when i do it is more for survey. Gives them a point to aim at when picking up utility marks. This way I can concentrate on them picking up the bends and angle points. As for construction, if i use flags I will aim strictly at the Construction area. 3 flags. 1 in the center of proposed trench or work area (more if there is a wide dig) and one on either side of proposed trench.

Years of Experience

So...if you guys aren't using flags on every sight (where applicable), what happens if the contractor is color-blind? I know it sounds funny, but it happens more than you would think. The point is to protect the facilities, right?

Years of Experience

Flags also show up much better in post locate photos.

uhhh..... we verbaly berate contractors digging on our facilities.... We are also handcuffed because of "F.O.D." issues. If we put flags down we are required to pull them up at the end of the work.....

There is only one thing worse then putting down flags....and that is picking them up.

mke

Years of Experience

In Wisconsin it is the excavators responsibility to remove the flags when the work is complete. For pictures of your locate the flags make a world of difference. You can see the marks for a long way. If you had to try to take pictures with no flags it wouldn't show much in taller grass.

Quote Originally Posted by mke13 View Post
    uhhh..... we verbaly berate contractors digging on our facilities.... We are also handcuffed because of "F.O.D." issues. If we put flags down we are required to pull them up at the end of the work.....

There is only one thing worse then putting down flags....and that is picking them up.

mke
    I have never heard of a locator having to remove the flags. I know in Florida several counties wanted the paint removed.

ahhh, the reason for us being responsible for removing of flags is due to where I work.

All Rules change inside of an airfield fence.

I hate plastic flags, and flagging in the winter.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dave72 View Post
    I dont get how it seems pretty much all of you guys (and gals) have to flag your locates.

Now, of course you cant flag on a road/sidewalk.. and those locates are acceptable... so it must be some concern about the paint coming out of the grass/dirt before the locate expires ?

We do 30 days for a locate to expire here, and you can still see the paint in the lawns past that. A dirt driveway would be lost (but then again so would the flags)..

We do put wood stakes in deep weeds or in the bush.. but not on someone's lawn.

Dont kids pick em out and stab each other with them etc ?

Dunno where you're working at, but around here the weather (not to mention lawn mowers) is pretty damn harsh on paint apparently. We have a 14 day (10 working day) expiration, and unless you paint each "hash" heavy, you're lucky to have the paint there at all on the grass, much less on new construction dirt. Then there's the tall grass/weeds issue that was mentioned.

Flags are our friends.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience
    na

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Dunno where you're working at, but around here the weather (not to mention lawn mowers) is pretty damn harsh on paint apparently. We have a 14 day (10 working day) expiration, and unless you paint each "hash" heavy, you're lucky to have the paint there at all on the grass, much less on new construction dirt. Then there's the tall grass/weeds issue that was mentioned.

Flags are our friends.
    As long as you gots the pics, half emptys will do the trick...

I click, click the evidence and adios... I could careless if it lasts 5 mins...

Due to the way our contracts have been worded we not only have to flag every other mark, we are also supposed to paint out the initials of the utility every other mark("supposed" being the operative word). On gas, the RR Commission requires every other mark to reflect the size of a main if it is 6" or larger. I'm getting Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in my right hand/wrist because of all of the "writing" I have to do now.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

we don't flag here....unless you are in a good mood that day and want to get your complete exercise program in for the day.......???? with my new vest flagging would be a breeze now....did i mention how much i love my vest ??? ha!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast