Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why can't you find it?

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Why can't you find it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    yeah, I work for an agency that owns Rail yards, Shipping facilities, and Airfields..... Between the 3 I don't know which one has more safety guidelines.

I do have to say that the Rail Road Companies have enough stupid rules so they can bust your balls for every little thing. No Side shields on your safety glasses? Wrong Color of Safety Vest? Seamless safety toed boots? Yes, I've been busted for all of those. Yes I had safety glasses on. Yes I had an Ansi Class II vest. Yes I had Safety toed boots, they just wern't seamless.

Go Figure

Mke
    The number of yearly deaths in railyards would astound you, and they are also subject to FRA inspections that have sizable fines for infractions when it comes to safety. The company I work for recently got fined ten grand for an FRA safety violation.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    The number of yearly deaths in railyards would astound you, and they are also subject to FRA inspections that have sizable fines for infractions when it comes to safety. The company I work for recently got fined ten grand for an FRA safety violation.
    That, in addition with the universal CYA rule makes for lots of necessary and unnecessary rules.

Years of Experience

hey MKE...how did all that turn out???
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

For future ref, and if you want to break a bunch of FCC rules, you can hook any line up to a standard audio amplifier and push 100+ Watts through it. All you need is a tone generator. I use my phone for the signal, but if you are using a pc, you can download a free program called n c h tone generator, and it does the trick. just input the desired frequency, hook the positive speaker output up to the line, in the negative one up to a ground rod, And trace away. This works especially well with high frequencies and an RD in radio mode. Once you're pushing that kind of wattage, all you need to do is make sure the reciever is level, and there should be no issues picking up a usable signal.

Years of Experience
    a few

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    vector bars are made by rd for att may sell to anybody not sure. They confirm the locate some how. They are very accurate down to about 25 or 30 ft in my experince
    This was the original post that google brought me to this site on. I was always looking for the best I could fing on deep locates (over 15 feet) usually 20-25 footers. The only reason I am writing this now is incase somebody else googles deep locates. The RD vectorbar or vector bar is good to 10 feet but I have done 15 with it. It is a good tool on congested deep locates. The ATT vector bar that RD made for ATT was a special unit that was 20 feet long! Looks just like my regular vector bar but 20 feet long. It was called the VB-X and was good to 40 feet! I have never seen one for sale but would buy one just to try it. I bought the dual spar 300's for the deeper locate ability but now that may be a problem also. (the null locates, not peak) Anyway I have the original PDF advertisement for the complete system when it came out if anybody wants it emailed to them. I will try to add it to this post as an attachment. Another neat thing is the ad talks about CD current direction but then goes on about A.C.I.D which just appears to be ELF. I have never got my hands on the smart probe they talk about either and would like one. I have bought a few items off of others posts on deep locates like the Split box from Idaho and have got pretty good with it in the right situations.

Years of Experience

Cuda I will check with the long haul ATT guy this week. He had told me awhile back that all that stuff was just sitting in the warehouse. They are switching to Utiliguard. I havent seen them use a smartprobe or vector bar in quite a while.

Years of Experience
    a few

Thanks! I don't mind old stuff if it fills my weird locating needs lol

Years of Experience
    a few

here is a link to the PDF the file was too big to load up on here.
    http://www.songameng.com/all_pdf/03_06_01.pdf

Years of Experience
    a few

Oh and it looks like there are 3 vectorbars made
    1. standard yellow one about 3 feet long goes 10 ft plus deep
    2. VB-20 extra deep unit looks like the standard vectorbar but has a hinged rod on the top that you extend and the range goes to 15 feet
    3. VBX 20 foot long solid vector bar for going up to 40 feet deep.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123