Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why can't you find it?

Default Re: Why can't you find it?

Could use shove a metallic tape in the closest access point and trace it? I know they make 200' ft ones.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Mke here's my 2 cents. Look what they have invested in this locate already a boatload of time and money bite the bullet and rent or find somebody to demo a vector bar. I have seen the within 3 or 4 inches at 20 ft several times on att long haul fiber in my area. I have never seen it not lock on yet and several miles is parallel and crossing rr tracks.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Mke here's my 2 cents. Look what they have invested in this locate already a boatload of time and money bite the bullet and rent or find somebody to demo a vector bar. I have seen the within 3 or 4 inches at 20 ft several times on att long haul fiber in my area. I have never seen it not lock on yet and several miles is parallel and crossing rr tracks.
    That'll do the trick!

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So, Friday afternoon on the fith pot hole we finally seen the conduits. Conduits are down at 13.7'. All our conventional locators... 810,850,Vloc,Rd400, and we got an RD 4k out on friday, all missed the mark by about 2.5' The only way we were able to get it was with Level 3 calling in one of their bore crews, and had them use their "Deep Bore" sonde. The sonde looked like a normal bore sonde, and they were still having fits with it near the proposed crossing.

The bore crew gave a depth of 17.5' and was within 6" of center conduits. The Good News: It was found. The bad news: Wasn't found by my equipment.

To my defense....it was down past 13'. Thats got to count for something.

On a related side note.... So we bust our hump finding this conduit so they can start the "Jack'n'bore" accross the tracks. Found out last week that the City doesn't like their submittal for their welding on the pipe they are using so it is put on an indefinate hold till they figure out a welding plan.

Go figure.

musta been something underground nearby screwing with the locate signal. i did a favor for a farmer once and marked a county field tile crossing a gravel road. it was 28' at its deepest point. i use a rd4000 reciever and dynatel transmitter. they found the depth and locate marks dead on. used null antenna.
    Last edited by Locaatwhiz; April 23rd, 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Who makes a vector bar and is it called something else? Not much comes up but an article on Radiodetection's website. I can't find one for sale there either or anywhere.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Not that I feel guilty.... but the locate was inside a rail yard. We were inbetween 6 sets of tracks, and the fiber line paralleled the rail within 5'.

Ok, I feel a little guilty, but not sure why, since it wasn't our line, not our utility being installed. It just happens to be on our property.

mke

Years of Experience

vector bars are made by rd for att may sell to anybody not sure. They confirm the locate some how. They are very accurate down to about 25 or 30 ft in my experince

Quote Originally Posted by sniper113 View Post
    Come on Man! I get this is a very difficult situation but you and the client need to find the line. Leaving it up to the excavator and marking it wide isn't the answer. Jointly is the only way this one is going to be worked out without damage to the facility or a ton of wasted time by the excavator.
    I don't know about everyone else, but i'll work with a contractor as much as they are willing to work with me. if they complain about the "inability" of the locate firm to find the line, then they are starting to shut doors as far as i am concerned. if it was me and they wanted to make arrangements to excavate the area slowly while i stayed hooked up and attempted to give them better information then that is completely acceptable to me, but i think the problem with this particular locate if i'm reading it right is that they cant dig up the whole railway easment. conversely if they want to get an attitude, i would have little incentive to help the contractor out any more than covering the utility owner's facility in a way that is acceptable to the owner.
    "You can never trust AT&T to do the intelligent thing..." - SM&P Lead Tech

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Not that I feel guilty.... but the locate was inside a rail yard. We were inbetween 6 sets of tracks, and the fiber line paralleled the rail within 5'.

Ok, I feel a little guilty, but not sure why, since it wasn't our line, not our utility being installed. It just happens to be on our property.

mke
    I hope you were protected by work signs and derails. Anything could happen in a rail yard.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TMINTH View Post
    I hope you were protected by work signs and derails. Anything could happen in a rail yard.
    Isn't that a given? Even though the rail was shut down for the work, we still had a flagman onsite watching over us

Just making sure. Out of all the jobs I've had, the railroad seemed to be most concerned with safety out of all the others. So many ridiculous rules it'd make your head spin. If I ever had to locate in one, I'd have kept my head on a swivel.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

yeah, I work for an agency that owns Rail yards, Shipping facilities, and Airfields..... Between the 3 I don't know which one has more safety guidelines.

I do have to say that the Rail Road Companies have enough stupid rules so they can bust your balls for every little thing. No Side shields on your safety glasses? Wrong Color of Safety Vest? Seamless safety toed boots? Yes, I've been busted for all of those. Yes I had safety glasses on. Yes I had an Ansi Class II vest. Yes I had Safety toed boots, they just wern't seamless.

Go Figure

Mke

When I worked for one, I was so paranoid about breaking a rule, I couldn't concentrate on learning my actual job. There are so many rules that it's not possible to keep track of them all. I once got written up for breaking a rule based off a BS interpretation by the trainmaster. Turns out I was right, but I kept the write-up. Be careful out there, those are scary places. Ever watch Unstoppable? Based off a true story that happened not far from where I live for the same outfit I used to work for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast