lifetime

Default who's using gpr?

who's using gpr? how often and why?
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: who's using gpr?

We use GPR, 2-3 times a week, usually to locate a nonconductive utility. Sometimes, we locate underground tanks, voids and structures. Varies from job to job.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Same here (what findit said).

Years of Experience

I don't use it. Never tried it.

I have heard that hear in the midwest it can be somewhat worthless. The ground is so heavy with so much clay it makes them hard to read.

Years of Experience

I wish they would make one that worked in the rocky soil of Colorado.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    We use GPR, 2-3 times a week, usually to locate a nonconductive utility. Sometimes, we locate underground tanks, voids and structures. Varies from job to job.
    have you ever heard of soils moisture samplings with gpr?

http://galagedara2003.com

Years of Experience

Hard to say ow many times a day we use GPR. All of our field techs and supervisors have one in their vehicle and they use them several times daily.

We locate a lot of non-toneable utilities, PVC water & sewer, HDPE water & sewer, ACP pipe for water, sewer and drainage, non-toneable fiber, irrigation mains, empty duct runs, etc...We also have a group of clients that do floor slab penetrations, so we do GPR studies for rebard, post-tension cables, inlaid utilities and voids. We have systems ranging from 100MHz up to 1.6GHz, with most of them (at least 15) in the 500MHz freq. and several in the 350MHZ freq.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I had about 6mo of riding with a GPS "stroller" in the back of my work rig. Used it sparingly. Not because of need, it was because the person scheduling me usually had me booked out solidly with locates and sewer inspections had no time to use the GPS.

I however, now find myself overseeing contract GPR guys on our construction projects. Not babysitting, just helping the construction side of things understand when its optimal to use the GPR guys, so they are not spending a week out in the back 40 finding nothing but mud.

We usually push for GPR on some inside locate requests. The last time they came in we were installing a new baggage carosel (sp?) and we scanned the area for rebar and utilities. I definately see the need for both GPR and regular locating. I was able to locate some lines they couldln't, and they were able to get some that I couldn't.

mke

Years of Experience

Mine is mostly useless in the clay of the great plains, but I've used it in sandy and rocky ground and had great results. I've used it for ice bridge and road thickness surveys and it is great for that too. Fresh water and ice it'll see to the bottom. Salt water stops it at the surface.

Used it to calculate gravel deposits (volumetric survey) for remote road construction. The shorter the distance they have to haul gravel, the less the road costs.

It is a lower freq unit and is useless for re-bar, post tension cables etc. Higer frequency units do concrete well, but they won't find your sewer line.

For what it cost me and the actual use I've had, I'd be better off renting one instead of owning.

Years of Experience
    lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by Linerider View Post
    Mine is mostly useless in the clay of the great plains, but I've used it in sandy and rocky ground and had great results. I've used it for ice bridge and road thickness surveys and it is great for that too. Fresh water and ice it'll see to the bottom. Salt water stops it at the surface.

Used it to calculate gravel deposits (volumetric survey) for remote road construction. The shorter the distance they have to haul gravel, the less the road costs.

It is a lower freq unit and is useless for re-bar, post tension cables etc. Higer frequency units do concrete well, but they won't find your sewer line.

For what it cost me and the actual use I've had, I'd be better off renting one instead of owning.
    outstanding reply, thanks

Years of Experience

the forensics teams in new orleans for all those murders!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato