Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Is A pipe Horn???

Default Re: What Is A pipe Horn???

ok, just so I can get some perspective on this one; how does it compare to drop boxing an rd4000 on 200?

Years of Experience

I am more than a little bias. Anybody else care to take a stab?

Default Re: What Is A \pipe Horn???

I would David, but I don't use RD. Still, in the right hands, I can't think of any induction device I would rather have.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

A pipe horn is the best peice of locator you could ever own. Light wieght,easy to use. Good for sweeping to see if you have missed anything. "When in doubt, spray it out" I use a pipehorn on 90% of my locates and no other machine. Hence the name

I will play Devil's advocate with the Pipehorn King and say Metrotech is the best induction device. For the basic and simple reason that the Metrotech has a digital depth reading whereas the pipehorn has a relative depth reading.

In highly congested area's like where I locate, the pipehorn will pick up anything and everything underground. On that line that you can't manage to get a signal on ex: plastic gas main with a broken tracer wire, a Metrotech with a digital depth reading can mean the difference between the right and wrong utility.

I agree. The best locator anyone could use is the trusty paint stick. When in doubt, spray it out.

Quote Originally Posted by [HAF]Foxtrot View Post
    I will play Devil's advocate with the Pipehorn King and say Metrotech is the best induction device. For the basic and simple reason that the Metrotech has a digital depth reading whereas the pipehorn has a relative depth reading.

In highly congested area's like where I locate, the pipehorn will pick up anything and everything underground. On that line that you can't manage to get a signal on ex: plastic gas main with a broken tracer wire, a Metrotech with a digital depth reading can mean the difference between the right and wrong utility.
    Quote Originally Posted by pipehorn king View Post
    I agree. The best locator anyone could use is the trusty paint stick. When in doubt, spray it out.
    I would point out two things:
    1. Paint for the sake of paint will irritate your contractors and invite animosity. I would rather cultivate good relationships and give them the right amount of paint. You make a name as someone that paints 4 marks for every actual line and you get no love.
    2. Niether machine is better than the other. They both have good and bad points and they both have situations where one works better than the other. It all boils down to situation and frequency to determine what is the best fit.

As for depth, I have never given it.
    Last edited by GPGrasshopper; March 31st, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    No wooden cases!!!

Where do you think we hid our beer!?!?
    The beer will stay colder in the new padded cases.

By the way: The most bizzare use of the old wooden cases I've heard of? Cat coffin.....seriously!

Years of Experience

oops: bizarre

Junior Member The Subtle Locator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Hey David,

I definitely have a great respect for the Pipehorn. My company bought me the 800 HL. Great improvement on the previous model. I actually use both the Metrotech 810 and the 800 HL for various inductive and conductive applications. The best example I have with an inductive locate with the Pipehorn was on a plastic gas service to a Burger King. The contractor failed to bring the trace wire throught the sidewalk up the riser. I tried to inductively locate it with the 810 and didn't get anywhere. I was able to induce the wire with the Pipehorn all the way to it's valve. About 200 ft.
    Prior to inducing, I had no information on where the shut-off valve even was. Typical "blind" locate.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Subtle Locator View Post
    Hey David,

I definitely have a great respect for the Pipehorn. My company bought me the 800 HL. Great improvement on the previous model. I actually use both the Metrotech 810 and the 800 HL for various inductive and conductive applications. The best example I have with an inductive locate with the Pipehorn was on a plastic gas service to a Burger King. The contractor failed to bring the trace wire throught the sidewalk up the riser. I tried to inductively locate it with the 810 and didn't get anywhere. I was able to induce the wire with the Pipehorn all the way to it's valve. About 200 ft.
    Prior to inducing, I had no information on where the shut-off valve even was. Typical "blind" locate.
    Thanks for the feeback Mr. Subtle Locator: Next time I'm in the Catskills, I'll buy you a Whopper at that Burger King!

Had my boss with me one day last week, and of the 5 locates done in his company , the pipehorn made an appearance at each one. The gas in my area is terrible, very seldom did the installer have the foresight to bring the tracer wire up at a gate valve or curb box.

Just a joke. I was making a point. If you get a signal, paint it. No need to lecture me, I ve been locating longer than you I'm sure.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12