Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Is A pipe Horn???

Default What Is A pipe Horn???

Been Spraying For Quite Some Time Now,
    (tel, Tv, Fiber, Water, Power, Aquaducts)
    Used The Metotech 810, Rd 400 Rd 4000 Rd 8000 And A Subsite.... But
    Never Have Used A Pipe Horn, And To Be Honest I Dont Know What One Is?
    I Know That This Is The Right Place To Ask, So Who Can Tell Me About Pipehorns....
    Last edited by TheCableVine; February 19th, 2010 at 08:53 PM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What Is A \pipe Horn???

Dave over in the Pipehorn forum can tell you anything you want to know about a Pipehorn

http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/f40/

The short answer is it is another type of locator. It uses induction instead of direct connect. It is both wonderful and evil at the same time. It is only evil if you don't know what you are doing.

http://www.pipehorn.com
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

that is the perfect answer so i can add nothing to it......
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    Dave over in the Pipehorn forum can tell you anything you want to know about a Pipehorn

http://www.thecablevine.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40

The short answer is it is another type of locator. It uses induction instead of direct connect. It is both wonderful and evil at the same time. It is only evil if you don't know what you are doing.

http://www.pipehorn.com
    Actually they can be used direct connect, even the old "classic" model.

To further ramble on about pipehorn is that you have to use it a lot to get the feel of it. I used it marking gas so much that I had callouses on my hand that matched the receiver's grip. When that happens you have used it enough to be able to reliably mark with it.

Years of Experience

Smile Re: What Is A pipe Horn???

It is a tool of the devil. Seriously though, it is the last resort for difficult stuff. It works wonders with cast iron gas piping, and even gets you a signal sometimes when a PE gas service has a broken tracer. It can get you into trouble too. When you first use one, try to get a feel for it by working in an area that you have documented well beforehand. See what it can do, and proceed with caution. Like I said, a tool of the devil.

Default Re: What Is A pipe Horn???

so its the same as an 810,rd,or subsite except higher freq,,,,, which means its just another set of transmiter and reciever,,,,,,, does the reciever have a power mode/radio mode ? if its such a higher freq , you probably cant locate longer lengths of pipe/cable...

can a pipe horn do what a rd can do? or is it only a tool for and experienced locator.... i have used many unorthodox methods of locating from witchsticking old wood aquaducts to dropping on duct systems... such a high freq in theory shouldnt take you far in footage....

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by fizat07405 View Post
    so its the same as an 810,rd,or subsite except higher freq,,,,, which means its just another set of transmiter and reciever,,,,,,, does the reciever have a power mode/radio mode ? if its such a higher freq , you probably cant locate longer lengths of pipe/cable...

can a pipe horn do what a rd can do? or is it only a tool for and experienced locator.... i have used many unorthodox methods of locating from witchsticking old wood aquaducts to dropping on duct systems... such a high freq in theory shouldnt take you far in footage....
    The old classic pipehorn transmitter has an on/off switch, that's it.

The receiver has an on/off switch, adjustable gain and an audible tone, that's it.

It takes a lot of practice to get really good with it.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Pipehorn, god's gift to the experienced locator. It would be fair to say that it has lead to many a damage, and has saved many a locators backside too.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If you know what you are doing it can save you time. You will know when to use it and when not to use it.

Example: My boss and a co-worker were having trouble locating a gas service. The wire wouldn't carry the signal for whatever reason. They had spent about 30 minutes on it and couldn't get anything. I showed up with the pipehorn and had it located in less than 5.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

A weapon that should be in every experienced professional locator's arsenal.

As others have said, a great tool for someone who knows how to use it. I have been using one for about 13 years. I have a 100A (the old one). It is primarily an induction tool. You can use it in direct connect, but the induction coils do not turn off, so you also have to be careful where you place the transmitter when using the leads (not sure if this has been addressed with the newer ones). Also, be careful how you swing the receiver when sweeping. A lot of guys swing it with a curved arc, which it wrong; you can gain out and make it chirp on anything like that. Keep the receiver strait, sweep side to side in a straight line, gain down to a nice high pitched short chirp, and this machine is a beast on a brkoen tracer.
    I used to locate with an 810 and then go over the locate with the pipehorn to practice getting used to it.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Mr. Grasshopper:

In conductive mode with the new Pipehorn 800HL (9 kHz + 480 kHz), you get simultaneous transmission of both HF and LF. Check either signal with a flick of a switch on the receiver. Start off on LF and go as long as it will take you. If the LF signal craps out at a joint in the pipe or a break in the wire, flip it up to HF and have the best chance to continue on down the line.

Also: Now in conductive mode, the inductive coils DO turn off. In addition to being able to trace all the way up to the connection point, you can get deeper and nastier conductors than ever before because you're not picking up that HF signal through the air.

And you are correct, you should always hold your receiver as upright as possible.

DD

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDodd View Post
    Mr. Grasshopper:

In conductive mode with the new Pipehorn 800HL (9 kHz + 480 kHz), you get simultaneous transmission of both HF and LF. Check either signal with a flick of a switch on the receiver. Start off on LF and go as long as it will take you. If the LF signal craps out at a joint in the pipe or a break in the wire, flip it up to HF and have the best chance to continue on down the line.

Also: Now in conductive mode, the inductive coils DO turn off. In addition to being able to trace all the way up to the connection point, you can get deeper and nastier conductors than ever before because you're not picking up that HF signal through the air.

And you are correct, you should always hold your receiver as upright as possible.

DD
    Thanks for info DD. After reading your post, I also got on the website and took a look. Seems like they have made quite a few design improvements. I like the new look. Are they still running in the same basic price range? And I have to ask, is there an option to buy a wooden case like the old ones? I love that case.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

$ 895 Pipehorn 800H (480 kHz)
    $1245 Pipehorn 800HL (9 kHz + 480 kHz)

* 3 year Warranty

* Nice padded bag, no more clunky wooden cases!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by DavidDodd View Post
    $ 895 Pipehorn 800H (480 kHz)
    $1245 Pipehorn 800HL (9 kHz + 480 kHz)

* 3 year Warranty

* Nice padded bag, no more clunky wooden cases!
    No wooden cases!!!

Where do you think we hid our beer!?!?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast