Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Weapon of choice for Utilities 20 to 30 feet deep?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Weapon of choice for Utilities 20 to 30 feet deep?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveDodds View Post
    What I did in the past on a gas main at 25' was to simply be onsite when they start digging. After digging down halfway start painting.
    Sometimes that's all you can do is babysit the excavation. Had to do it a few times myself. Get in the hole and zero in. Sups and DM's don't like it cuz it's not profitable but if safety is your first concern......

Sounds like others have offered good advice. My option would be RD7k or RD8k with best ground possible. Lower frequencies locate the deepest and go from their - but I would be skeptical that you would get it. Another option would be using a sonde with a 512hz-33khz made for going extra deep, and "float it" downstream, locate it. "float it" further, locate it. Rinse repeat. If I did this option id probably put a wire with it just in case, but if those options aren't possible or don't work then I would bust out your favorite pair of witching rods to see how you felt between the two known structures. I personally wouldn't mark it based on witching alone, but I like to go classic once in a while in those situations for my own entertainment.

Years of Experience

We have an RD PCM (Pipeline Current Mapper) that we use for pipeline coating integrity surveys. It puts out a massive current (Up to 3A) and in ideal conditions can send a nice signal 20 miles. On River crossings for pipelines, I have identified bores as deep as 50'. I'd bet in better conditions (less rocky/sandy soils and more wet clays) it would locate even deeper.
    Wingfoot likes this.

Years of Experience

I would have to say the John Deere 850D LC.

Seen one in action recently digging out a 30 foot pit for a new lift station.
    UULC likes this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Marlboro Man View Post
    I would have to say the John Deere 850D LC.

Seen one in action recently digging out a 30 foot pit for a new lift station.
    Oh wow, you saw a piece of machinery working for the first time. That's so special. Did your mommy get a picture?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Oh wow, you saw a piece of machinery working for the first time. That's so special. Did your mommy get a picture?
    Actually, you are correct Jayc. Almost 20 years out in the field locating and I believe that was the first time I've ever seen an 850 excavator at work. It was special.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by The Marlboro Man View Post
    Actually, you are correct Jayc. Almost 20 years out in the field locating and I believe that was the first time I've ever seen an 850 excavator at work. It was special.
    I'm an 850 virgin. Still hoping for my first time. What a wonderful day that will be.
    Last edited by daman1; September 21st, 2014 at 01:08 PM.

Years of Experience

I have a rd 7000 as my "daily driver" but i came to find out some of my fiber is deep in some places and when they go under rr tracks or under a culvert my signal with my rd gets all sorts of crazy. I have a Vivax/Metrotech its the newer model its 10 watt and I freaking love that thing. They dont peak out as fast as the rd but i came to find out Im starting to like it. The bad thing is I usually keep it in my truck because its my own personal piece of equipment and im the one responsible for repairs lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12