Thread: Vivax vloc 5000

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Vivax vloc 5000

I read the sales sheet and the vivax web site for info on the new vloc5000 and thought it had a few new features that would be an improvment over my vloc pro2, the main one being single distortion alert (like my seektech 60 has) but it only appears to work on the SiS freqs. Signal Select is the name, they revived it from the old metrotech i5000 and i6000. The SiS features only work with the special 10 watt 10Tx SiS transmitter so if you don't buy both you can't use the new features. I already have a few 10 transmitters and the new 5 watt Vivax STX so I didn't buy one but it looks like I will be buying one to use the other features. The unit has built in GPS and bluetooth stock no having to buy modules like on the vloc pro2, it also has SD (Signal Direction) built in which is an option on the vivax vloc pro2. Other than what I mentioned it is really just a vloc pro2 with SD and bluetooth and GPS not being extra charges. Also some minor changes where done in the file format of the logging and the smart phone app called VMMAP does not work with the vloc5000 to download the data you have to go to a PC and use my locator2. I hope the VMMAP guy updates it to work with the 5000 as it is a really good app.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Vivax vloc 5000

thanks for the updated info on the vivax .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

How does it compare price wise to a RD 8100?

Years of Experience
    a few

about $700 less than 8100pdl

Years of Experience
    a few

A little update on the vloc5000, if you use the vmmap app on a smart phone you must leave the GPS unit on the locator On, then the vmmap app will work and your phones gps unit will cancel out the weaker gps unit on the locator and you can send the recording via email from the phone, your accuracy will be what ever the phone gets. But if you then return to the office and use MyLocator2 on your pc and download the logs they will be way off vs the cell phone data. This is just for basic use 3 ft accuracy. If you want better than you have to turn off the locators gps unit in the settings and couple it via bluetooth to your GPS unit (like a trimble 6000 or 7x) then just log like normal on the locator then when you use your pc and download the data with MyLoctor2 it will be accurate (4 inch) and you have to edit the log numbers into saying what the points mean (valve,line etc.) And last if you don't mind holding 2 things in your other hand you can use your phone with the app running, set your trimble below it and use the locator to get 4 inch with your phone. Just matters how much work one wants to do or is being paid for. But in the end the vloc 5000 can be used for mapping or logging and the cpu in the locator is a lot faster than the one in the vloc pro2.

Years of Experience
    a few

Another update I thought I was stuck buying the special SiS 10 watt transmitter to use the Signal Select and distortion functions I read about the old Metrotech i5000 and it made it seem like it only had 481 SiS but it actually has more SiS freqs available than the vivax new 10 watt even does. So I bought a used I5000 just for the transmitter and special SiS clamps for $500 way better than spending $2200 with vivax. And now just playing around with the I5000 locator they where very advanced for their time I am impressed with it actually (not enough to locate with it just play)