Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UULC

Thread: Transmitter position when using direct connect

Years of Experience

Default Transmitter position when using direct connect

Hello CableVine, I just started one month ago and am still in training,
    Locating to me is interesting, it's nice to see different parts of the county and also seems very challenging, lots of information to remember!

I have a question,
    I've been told that the transmitter(box) position in relation to the target line and ground makes a difference when using direct connect; whether the box is parallel or perpendicular to the line. (We use 810's)
    How and why does this make any difference to the locate.
    Thanks.

Years of Experience
    30+

Default Re: Transmitter position when using direct connect

First make sure your ground is 90 degrees off the target line. Second make sure your leads do not cross another line if possible. I use a RD-7000 and as long as you are direct connect i would try to keep your Tx next to your target line. You would not want to set it on top transformer if you are locating phone or cable. I locate only FOC with tracer wire and I do not even have a ring clamp. If your leads are running across the ground and it crosses another utility you can bleed off or put a ghost signal on that utility.

I hope this helps you out.
    CWVines likes this.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I'm not familiar with the 810. I think, however, they are referring to the inductive capabilities some transmitters have. When you direct connect to a cable then you have your leads plugged into the transmitter. My understanding is that when your leads are plugged in, it bypasses the coil in the transmitter used for inductive locating. It may be possible that the coil still induces some signal into the lines. Other than that I'm not sure why you would want to be concerned about the position of the transmitter.

On the other hand, you may be mistaking direct connect for the induction method. If that is the case then transmitter position means everything. You want the transmitters coil to be in line with the cable you are locating. The reason is this. The coil puts out a signal basically in the shape of a donut. The transmitter will be in the donut hole and the signal it puts out is the donut. The cable needs to be in line with this donut for the signal to be induced. If the signal (donut) is 90 degrees or perpendicular to the cable then the signal will not be induced.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Hey Nb22x - Glad to have you as a member of the'Vine! I checked out your profile and both of us have an interest in tennis. There are a few ASSpects of tennis I do enjoy:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Enough of that....... You have asked a good question and I agree with Steve (TheCableVine). As long as the 810's transmitter leads are plugged in, there is not an induction field generated for bleed-off to other utilities. In my opinion, you have enough of a challenge at this time learning the locating process by direct connection before you explore the process of locating by induction; other than using your coupler (clamp).

My only suggestion for you to speed up your learning curve is get hooked up with a mentor. Ask your supervisor to pick one with 3 to 5 years experience and feels would be a good match for you. Locators with more experience than that use techniques that would only confuse you.

Warning! Do not use your supervisor as a teaching mentor. Supervisors make terrible mentors for many reasons:
    1.) Sups ain't got the time to mentor.
    2.) When Sups do mentor, it's always the slowest method possible.
    3.) Sups will NEVER teach you a short-cut.
    4.) Sups make a noob mark the ENTIRE scope of the ticket.... UGH!
    5.) Most Sups do not understand the deepest levels of all the prints.
    6.) Most supervisors got that job because they couldn't cut it as a locator!

Anyway, thanks for joining The Cable Vine, good luck on your new career and please post often!

Last edited by Wingfoot; January 10th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Oh, Wing... It took me 3 months to get my ads back. I can only say this, if it is something you see on thechive.com then I guess it will pass here. (the Chive runs google ads)

Another thought on the transmitter issue is what UULC said. Make sure your ground is 90 degrees off the target cable and as far as is reasonable from the hookup point.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post

Hey Nb22x - Glad to have you as a member of the'Vine! I checked out your profile and both of us have an interest in tennis. There are a few ASSpects of tennis I do enjoy:

Enough of that....... You have asked a good question and I agree with Steve (TheCableVine). As long as the 810's transmitter leads are plugged in, there is not an induction field generated for bleed-off to other utilities. In my opinion, you have enough of a challenge at this time learning the locating process by direct connection before you explore the process of locating by induction; other than using your coupler (clamp).

My only suggestion for you to speed up your learning curve is get hooked up with a mentor. Ask your supervisor to pick one with 3 to 5 years experience and feels would be a good match for you. Locators with more experience than that use techniques that would only confuse you.

Warning! Do not use your supervisor as a teaching mentor. Supervisors make terrible mentors for many reasons:
    1.) Sups ain't got the time to mentor.
    2.) When Sups do mentor, it's always the slowest method possible.
    3.) Sups will NEVER teach you a short-cut.
    4.) Sups make a noob mark the ENTIRE scope of the ticket.... UGH!
    5.) Most Sups do not understand the deepest levels of all the prints.
    6.) Most supervisors got that job because they couldn't cut it as a locator!

Anyway, thanks for joining The Cable Vine, good luck on your new career and please post often!

Gotta love the pic of steffi with her undies around her thighs.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.