Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cuda
  • 1 Post By Cuda

Thread: Transmitter Inductive shoot out

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Transmitter Inductive shoot out

This is not a complete comparison because as we all know all units have their strengths and weaknesses. This is a comparison between the RD Tx-10 the Vivax 10 watt VX200-4 and The Seektech 33qr 10 watt and Seektech 510 10 watt unit.
    I used an 8" water main 50 feet distance between the transmitters and the locator, under concrete. The depth of the line 4'4". The locator used was a Vivax vloc Pro2. Inductive test at 8khz and 33khz. (The seektechs only go to 33 in inductive mode) All the units created a easy to follow signal. The RD TX-10 produced a 1.0mA as it's top score, the Vivax did 1.4mA and the Seektech 510 did 1.5mA as it's highest. But the Seektech 33QR produced 15.00 mA signal to the line. Seektech claimed the new round antenna design allowed more current on the target but the results speak for themselves wow! Now it would be nice if the Seektech had 83khz as an option but getting so much juice on the line using inductive by itself in most situations makes up for that. I post this for something to consider if you do a lot of inductive or even long inductive locates. I would say you still need to have a pipehorn or 810 around for those really high needed times.
    TheCableVine likes this.

Senior Member CableAvoidanceTool's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Transmitter Inductive shoot out

Wow the seektech can only perform in 33 khz mode while going general inductive? Seems odd, even the old metrotech 810 from 1981 could do 83 khz in general inductive mode.

Years of Experience
    a few

Yes 8khz and 33khz, looks like with all that inductive power they thought it would just bleed over any higher still would be nice to have the option of 82 and go lower on the power setting. But the overall design of the inductive coil is very impressive.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You can get 83kHz on the vivax, but it doesn't come stock... Had to send it back to the factory to get it included... I'm assuming that the RD and Seektech could have that option as well.

If one wanted the higher frequency.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    You can get 83kHz on the vivax, but it doesn't come stock... Had to send it back to the factory to get it included... I'm assuming that the RD and Seektech could have that option as well.

If one wanted the higher frequency.

mke
    Is that 83khz in induction only or direct connect too?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Is that 83khz in induction only or direct connect too?
    Both. Kinda...

You should have that frequency for direct connect stock from the factory, but when you go to Induce you are limited to just a couple of the lower frequencies. The factory can install 83kHz as an option for induction.... at least they did for us.

mke

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Both. Kinda...

You should have that frequency for direct connect stock from the factory, but when you go to Induce you are limited to just a couple of the lower frequencies. The factory can install 83kHz as an option for induction.... at least they did for us.

mke
    Must be newer than I've used. Mine never had 83.

Years of Experience
    a few

On my seektech 33 is the highest offered (I have never asked if it could be changed) on my RD10tx it has 8 inductive choices from 940 hz up to 200 khz. On the vivax they have different part numbers offered on the transmitters which seem to come with different factory installed freqs. Some things are free with radiodetection but then they charge you in another place and same with vivax. Though vivax seems like they give you more free choices on the locators. One day I was playing around with the seektech adding in custom freqs and I had 200 khz inductive and was surprised and called seektech and they said it was not supposed to work that way and then I tried again and could not get it to do it, I really wish I would have wrote it down but have never really tried very hard since because I bought the RD10TX

Years of Experience
    a few

I was talking about the seektech SR-33Q on the 33 induction max. (the higher and lower freqs are listed but not usable) The Seektech ST-510 is a hidden gem because it has almost every induction freq you could ever ask for and they are not locked out like the SR-33q. But they do not have that new design coil for massive induction power just the average 1.5ma.

Years of Experience
    a few

I just spent an hour trying to trick the seektech sr-33q into doing a higher inductive mode but could not do it, but one thing while playing I did find was that it can even beat the 15ma high I originally gave it credit for in the tests. If you start the st-33q in induction mode and have it running you can go into the menu and bump the max output up and it doubles the output power from 100 max to 200 and the result was 27ma being read on the line. If you turn the unit off then it defaults back to 15ma so they must have just wanted this used if it absolutely was needed. It would probably kill a regular battery but I have a couple from Germany I bought that have a bit more power.
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    a few

I think I have the answer now on why the Seektech sr-33q is at 33khz, it's the watts! FCC rule 15 is 45khz and under can use 10 watts anything over 45khz must be 1 watt.