Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sweeping

Default Re: Sweeping

lol mke!!!!!!
    Cipher is right, didn't bother to locate all lines independantly, probably assumed tel/tv together, even though only one tel line in conduit. A dumb mistake that makes you look like an ass if you get caught.

Oh ya, with regard to null and peak, I also hate null dave, peak is always best, that said, they pushed the "pinball" method of null locating on me on the crew. It never worked, i always use peak(turn you sensititvity up to high on null on the rd, go across line, sounds like a pinball or arcade game)

Years of Experience

I'm new to the forum, but am curious if anyone has had issues following large diameter pipe over a large distance.... FYI I us a Fuji 960 ACX locator which is a great machine for almost everything, especially sweeping, however its transmitter is only 3 watts and carries only 2 frequencies. I recently have been doing long runs on large diameter pipe and think the ground contact is causing excessive bleed off into the surrounding soil and reducing my distance (we're talking 30 metres - 50 at best so my helper keeps having to follow me up the line). Any suggestions on what locator would be best for this application(yes I know this may start a debate but i'm wanting inductive ability so Datamappers and integrity testers are out). I have been looking at the utiliguard plus and plan to demo one of its 12 watt versions next week..any other suggestions?

Years of Experience

The majority of the locate companies in our area use Fuji 960 AC, ACX . Our area is full of old infrastructure from the 50s so corrosion is a problem, as well as several pipes in a common ditch (often corkscrewed) or other wise touching at crossings, lack of insulation kits, lack of places to direct connect, lack of mapping and information etc, etc ,etc. We complete 3 pass, 4 grid sweeps (think of walking train tracks in a box where you walk side by side, then at a 45 with your helper in front of you and then the other 45 with the helper in front of you, when you completed it you will have a boxed area and the best chance of finding the unexpected, or expected in our area) on every locate to insure that there are no surprises. It is amazing how much unregistered and unlicensed utilities you will find. Anyway I also tried out a Utiliguard and it sounds very similar to my Fuji with more bells and whistles, so I plan on demoing one at a facility soon. Any other thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12