Thread: Subsite 250

Default Subsite 250

Hey guys, I'm just wondering if any of you use the subsite 250 locator? I've been asked to purchase a new unit and because of budget constraints I think this might be the best unit for the price. The only thing I'm worried about is the one 33khz active frequency. Is this a sufficient unit for electric, communication and gas? Also how well does the passive power and radio work? There's also a company policy against buying used equipment. If you have any other suggestions under 3000$ for the whole kit please say so. Thanks!

Years of Experience

Default Re: Subsite 250

I use 33KHz on my subsite and it works just fine and if you have a friend close by with a vivax or RD and they hooked up you could locate off thier machines also! I have located gas cable tv phone fiber and electric just fine off 33khz ...but i have never heard of a 250?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Hey thanks!
    The 250 is subsites lower end unit. All it lacks is depth reading in power and radio mode, and changing frequency. For the price I seems to be the best in it's class. The bosses are now considering buying a new Vivax since they are priced very competitively! I can get a whole new kit for 3700$ including case and clamp. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

Mke
    Years of Experience

Spine, what all are you locating? on a normal day that is? I know its a dinosaur and there is definite division between technology, but have you thought about the 810? I know it has a fixed frequency but she works great for me....

just a thought

mke

Years of Experience

The 250 has a really good radio mode. It does a pretty good job in power mode too. The 250 works similar to an old RD CAT. If you are thinking about a Metrotech 810, try Subsite's (also branded Ditch Witch) 830. Try the 830 side by side with an 810.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 89er View Post
    The 250 has a really good radio mode. It does a pretty good job in power mode too. The 250 works similar to an old RD CAT. If you are thinking about a Metrotech 810, try Subsite's (also branded Ditch Witch) 830. Try the 830 side by side with an 810.
    Is that the new ditch witch in beta testing that attempts to run the 810 frequency? I think I demo'd that for a week side by side with my 810 and 810dx. In my experience the metrotechs were way better.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    Is that the new ditch witch in beta testing that attempts to run the 810 frequency? I think I demo'd that for a week side by side with my 810 and 810dx. In my experience the metrotechs were way better.
    Metrotechs were way better? Do you have specifics? I'm curious. Were you able to trace lines further? What could you find with an 810 that an 830 could not?

Years of Experience

Signal carried better across dressers, or maybe the receiver merely interpreted it better. I found that it was also extremely annoying to locate in only null unless I was holding a button down. In my experience peak is always better, so I didn't understand the inability for a brand new machine to locate in a dual peak/null mode.

Of course, like I said I wasn't using a production model, but a beta testing demo. The unit I used didn't even have any decals on it. I encouraged the salesman to bring a final model when it becomes available.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

the new rd7000 and 8000 have that dual mode peak/null and i believe there has been some damages from using this mode. I just use peak out and null back still