Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Street Lights

Years of Experience

Default Re: Street Lights

Sometimes there will be a ground rod outside the street light. Unbond here and try hooking to the external ground wire.
    SubterraVT likes this.

Years of Experience
    5+
    Blog Entries

Typically all poles in my area are grounded. This is code. And, all of our poles are metal. I just connect a lead to a bolt, nut, panel edge, screw, sign etc... some of our poles have a ground rod sticking up that I clip to provided I see a copper wire ground attached to it. One shortcut trick I do when I know roughly where the conductors are in a non-congested area is I induce on 80Hz with my transmitter over 300 (on Ditch Witch 950).
    If it's fiberglass poles then I have no idea and would also like to know...

Years of Experience

For street lighting generally I would direct connect onto a bolt at the base of the pole (this is in Australia) generally I can get a very good round signal by doing it this way. I used to open the access panel in the light as well but after doing an electricity awareness course this is considered to be a very bad idea. Another option would be if you have a magnet attach it to the pole and direct connect to it.
    jabajo, EricB and SubterraVT like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Adam,

Inducing works, you just have to keep in mind the other utilities that can be in the area. On one of our streets we have the street light wire running within 6" of a 2" steel gas and a irrigation line. If you induce where you think the line is you will easily pick up on the gas line which could lead you astray.

mke
    I would be lead astray even by DCing if I were getting street lights within 6 inches of a gas main. I would have to do some troubleshooting on that one. I'm sure inducing would come into play somewhere.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123