Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Street Lights

Default Street Lights

Hey all I have a question for any and everyone who locates power. How do yall go about locating Street lights? I ask this because I used to open up the access panel at the base of the st light and DC to get signal, well I had my DM pull up on me one day and he basically threatened my job if he found me doing it again. so I stopped without being told a "proper" way to "officially" locate them. Well i thought wrapping the leads around the pole was doing the job until I got one hit yesterday and the damage investigator had no help for me. Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    -J

Years of Experience

Default Re: Street Lights

Ask your sup or dm. Stupid usic
    Nb22x likes this.

Years of Experience
    too many

I dont know what dm would tell you that but we hook to the ground or a ground (asuuming it is a metal base) and run it that way on the fiberglass ones we do just what you did open the acess and direct connect to the ground. What I would suggest is bringing your Lead or Sup to a streetlight and showing them what you did It will cover your ass.
    SubterraVT likes this.

Years of Experience

If you can't run it back from a transformer or a sec service then you eventually have to call the power company that owns it wasting precious time. Call your sup he should take it off your hands and deal with it. Otherwise you get fired. Consider yourself lucky

Years of Experience

Most street lights around here, fiberglass and concrete, have metal access doors/panels.. stick a coin in the crack and hook onto it..

I can take a picture if needed..

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

The connection to the metal door usually only works if that door is connected to the ground somehow. You can always hook to the bolts holding the pole inplace. Typically the ground wire will be connected to the base some how. If that still doesn't work.... don't get caught by your DM =).

That of course is a joke. If you guys are handcuffed by safety guidelines, you need to figure out what management wants you to do in that situation.

I will let you know that there are some streetlights that just don't want to be found. Those you have to get access to in order to locate them, and even then you might have to trip the photocell or over ride switch to light it up.

good luck

mke

If it's a Duke Energy Streetlight good luck. They don't have a ground at their lights unless its a recent install.

@locatorfornow it is Duke... I can get the old wooden poles with the lead wrapping technique but its the fiberglass ones that get me, Some dont have access panels at all..

Years of Experience

only way to locate a street light is to open it up at the access door............check with voltage detector to see which wires are hot and hook to the wire that is not hot and locate...........NO OTHER WAY !!! IF you try anything else ...........................eventually you will get a damage !!!!!!!!!! All metal light poles ...very few left.....can be located by hooking your lead to the NUT and BOLT holding the light to concrete and locate ...
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Quote Originally Posted by uqlocator View Post
    @locatorfornow it is Duke... I can get the old wooden poles with the lead wrapping technique but its the fiberglass ones that get me, Some dont have access panels at all..
    for the fiberglass poles make a small loop in a piece of wire and hang that on one of the bolts that attachs the light to the pole. Clip your red lead to that wire and black to ground rod and use a high freq. You could tape that wire to a piece of pvc pipe to help get it up to the top of the light if you can't reach it.
    superman and uqlocator like this.

Years of Experience

Are the poles thin enough to clamp around?.... Most of the time here I can hardly get a good tone direct connecting to electric meters in my area (as if they're not connected good to the elec. ground), but once I clamp around the conduit I get great signal. would that help?

I've always gotten into the pole bases to connect. I have a detector thing that beeps at me if the wire is hot, so I can be safe. I know street lights are like the most hated electric because of how shoddy and dangerous they can be to reach in there so I can see you not being allowed to open them, but they need to specifically show you what to do at an actual light pole. Otherwise, I wouldn't consider you at fault for any street light damages.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

If I couldn't induce it (which was pretty much never using an RD box) I'd paint a circle around the pole, write unlocatable on the grass, and dump it on the supervisor with a note on the ticket to CMA.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

The power companies do not want the locator opening up the panel on the streetlight. Probably to do with safety and liability. It is usually a wink nod thing with the supervisors. They give you the company line but know that opening them up and DC is the best method to locate them. If caught by the utilities doing this one could get fired.

One of the power companies here ground the steel poles and sometimes the cement ones. Without entering them the other way is to either go from the transformer or ped. Sometimes you will need to use a higher freq or more power. One other method is to wrap a metal flag around the pole and and DC to it.

Years of Experience
    30+

Something I have not seen on this thread is other equipment. I have a Pipehorn 100 and it seems to locate lights real good. You only drop it the base of the street light.

Years of Experience

I love finding street lights!
    where I'm at, there are, metal ones and fiberglass with or without an access plate.
    metal ones, just DC to the pole itself. with a panel, I connect to the ground/ neutral wire.
    without a panel, I try from the secondary, ring clamp, if that doesn't work,
    I take a knife, and cut the wire itself with a rubber handled knife and DC to the wire, if the light is off, if its on I normally get a good signal with anything.
    And make sure to electric tape the cut wire!
    I find that the 810 is very sensitive to streetlight lines.
    The RD sucks.

my 2 cents.
    Homeowner - "They still bury lines in the ground?
    I thought they didn't do that anymore!"
    Me - "Yes sir they do."
    Homeowner - "My gas line is not over there"
    Me - "Yes it is."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast