Thread: Split Box Locating

Years of Experience

Default Split Box Locating

OK since there has been quite a bit about this the last few days can you educate me on this. After 20+ years I now find myself having to expand my horizons past RD and into other machines/methods. MY first question is a split box better or worse than a 810 or pipehorn or just different?

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Split Box Locating

It's different. I've never used an 810 but I have a pipehorn. I like using a split box. They are easy and very good locators.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me can chime in here. With a split box, the antenna and receiver are mounted on a handle and carried in a horizontal position. The receiver is air locked to the antenna: That is, it receives signal directly through the air. The magnetic field from the transmitters is received on both sides of the receiver. When set up, the system is balanced so that the field received on both sides of the receiver is equal. The presence of metal in the field unbalances the field as sensed by the receiver. The unbalanced field is what the receiver responds to. It is a metal locator rather than an EMF locator. How well it works, I hope to determine shortly, but I hope others will respond with instances where this produced success where other methods failed.

Years of Experience

shoot ...that sounds pretty good to me .....yeah what that guy said up there above me ....ha
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Default Re: Split Box

Split box refers to the fact that the receiver and transmitter are each a half of a box and split apart from one another during use. They can be used through direct connection or induction just like other locators. There are several models out there that do mount to a handle as you described. You can use this setup to preform blind searches and or locate ferrous objects in the ground. Spit box locators typically use greater then 82k frequencies that make them great for finding those hard to locate cables and pipes that might be ungrounded on one or both ends. I have only used in the past on strictly a trouble shooting basis or to look utilities I know are there but cannot find through other means. If you need to do blind sweeps by yourself then this setup may be for you. If not then a split box has nothing on a Pipehorn or an RD8000.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Split Box

My everyday machine is a RD8000 Tx10 but I have ran into several water mains that just won't tone for some reason. Tried direct and induction with no results. Prints say it's all ductile push joint with no repair couplings. All the ductile in my area is wrapped in plastic but I would think that would help my signal not hurt it.