• 2 Post By Mke
  • 2 Post By daman1
  • 1 Post By Cuda
  • 1 Post By paintitnow

Thread: Single Frequency Locators

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Single Frequency Locators

Does anyone like any of these single frequency locators......RD 5000, Schonstedt xtpc ,Subsite 830, Fisher tw-82 ,Metrotech Vivax 810, Subsurface PL-1500?

Years of Experience
    a few

Default Re: Single Frequency Locators

long time no see man...... I think they are really for contractors who do very little locating and multiple freqs might just confuse them.

Years of Experience

well ...I learn something everyday for which I am thankful. I did not know there were any single freq. machines out there . I assumed all of them had at least 2 .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    long time no see man...... I think they are really for contractors who do very little locating and multiple freqs might just confuse them.
    uhhhh.... I don't think I've had the pleasure of disagreeing with you yet, but I have to on this one.

My main piece of equipment is a single frequency locator. (metrotech 810). I do agree that they were originally designed for simple operators to understand how it works.... Turn it on and go. I will give you that anyone with a single frequency digital locator is probably in your group of people who don't want to be confused by the use of other frequencies. I however, still swing the good ole analog 810. As simple as a single frequency locator sounds, because of the high frequency and ability for it to bleed over onto other utilities, you need to know what you are doing. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Most of the people I know who still swing an old style 810 do quite a bit of locating and typically have a multi frequency locator sitting in the rig for the situations that need it.

I am however a biased old fogey.

mke
    daman1 and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    uhhhh.... I don't think I've had the pleasure of disagreeing with you yet, but I have to on this one.

My main piece of equipment is a single frequency locator. (metrotech 810). I do agree that they were originally designed for simple operators to understand how it works.... Turn it on and go. I will give you that anyone with a single frequency digital locator is probably in your group of people who don't want to be confused by the use of other frequencies. I however, still swing the good ole analog 810. As simple as a single frequency locator sounds, because of the high frequency and ability for it to bleed over onto other utilities, you need to know what you are doing. It's definitely not for the faint of heart. Most of the people I know who still swing an old style 810 do quite a bit of locating and typically have a multi frequency locator sitting in the rig for the situations that need it.

mke

Dammit Mke, it's been nearly 20 years since I lost my beloved Metrotech. I'm only now finishing my final stage of grief. Dam I miss that 810

Mke and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience
    a few

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post

mke
    I don't even think of the 810 in the same class as the locators he listed, I mea just the other day at some locating for the future meeting of the big players they brought the 810 up as a locating system before it;s time and the fact that is still in use today, the meeting was about the future with cloud based servers keeping track of all prior locates and have that information available to the next guy who needs it and a lot of other stuff. But the units that where listed are cheaper than the same companies other units since they have just one freq. and I still believe they are like that for contractors to have on hand, less training, cheaper takes the quesswork out of what freq. to use etc.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    a few

I also should have said I don't consider the vivax 810 the same as the old metrotech 810. I have the metrotech 810 but have never used the vivax 810 as I had read that is was nothing like the original but again I have never owned the vivax unit. I still use my 810 but due to space in my rig it sits at the shop and I carry the pipehorn behind my seat. If the 810 was as narrow I would probably carry it instead of the pipehorn.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

I use a RD7000 for most things, i leave the 810 for the hard ones. On a survey ticket an 810 on a service can locate almost every steel mains and steel services from one hook up point
    daman1 likes this.