Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Seektech

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Seektech

Apparently a seektech rep came to our little town and did a demonstration for the cable company with one of their units. The one with the 3 balls on it. From what I understand he didn't hook up to anything and just started locating the cable lines. Now, the cable company was very impressed and is now under the impression that it will find whatever they are looking for without hooking up.

Case in point: I was having trouble with a cable fiber. It came down a pole on the NE corner of an intersection and went back up the pole on the SE corner of the same intersection. I coupled both sides and couldn't get anything.

I called the cable company to see if this fiber was buried with the two cables that came down the pole and then back up again on the same corners. You would think they did. BUT... the fiber conduit was newer and the supports weren't rusted like the ones on the cable conduits. They didn't know the answer so they sent a tech out to help. As soon as he showed up he jumps out of the truck and pulls out his seektech and says "lets see if this will find the fiber". Now, I have to add that coming down the poles are power, cable tv (regular cable), and a few other fibers from different companies. Also in the ground are telephone and gas. He started looking around and after about 10 minutes of walking in circles and my 'nagging' him about doing it wrong he decides he can't find it.

Anyway, long story short... if they believe they can just hop out and locate whatever is running through their head at the time without hooking up then we will be seeing quite a few damages coming down the road. But, we won't be paying for them.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Seektech

Was he trying to induct the fiber or just hoping that it would magically appear on the seektechs goofy looking screen?

I think you needed a cheater clip to locate that fiber.

Years of Experience

seektech huh?????? let him come this way with that junk with all our pipelines down this way and he'll be laughed out of the state before he can say hurricane gustov!!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

his machine would have been perfect 30 years ago!!!!!!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Rigids Seektech on infinite mode is great for anything that has some level of power going down the line. If there isn't any it's good ole direct conect or induction (if you have to). Everyone knows FIBER SUCKS, it's glass, NOT A CONDUCTOR of shit. This guy must have been retarded or something.
    My meeting with one of there reps went well. I didn't let him do anything (he's a rep not a Locator). Much like any business though thier reps SELL more than just locating equipment so they just know technical specs and are given very little in the way of training on the equipment (hey that sounds familiar?)
    All in all I found it to be a good piece of equipment, a bit over priced but it has some features I was impressed with none the less. I like the fact it never needs calibrating, you don't have to swing it like an idiot because of the lack of antennas (those bulbs are CPU's) and you can put any frequency you want on it via USB cables and a computer, not to mention the transmitter is unique in the fact the leads are attached directly to it and hide inside it as well as carrying the ground rod (the Q box anyway).

I have been trying out different locators.. and I still must say I love the Subsite the best!

Years of Experience

good girl gypsy!!! well said!!!!!!!!! i see your coming to be a fine nazi ......

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Eventually we coupled it. He got it going with the other two cables. I asked him what he thought when we were done (45 minutes later) he said he was confident. he asked me what I thought. I said I didn't like it.

The crew has been digging the last two days but have yet to get near the fiber. I'm betting it will get hit. I did tell my supervisor what I thought and he said he would follow up on it so don't think I'm just sitting back with a lawn chair and a beer waiting for the show to start.

Steve, that fiber IS armored right? Did you try a hot stick to couple it from the pole? If you have already called the cable company & you have that all documented... you should still be good... did they put it in or did they have a contractor put it in? I know a few of the contractors around here that do work for utility companies and if you have a good rapport with them you could see if they might know... just my 2 cents worth...

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

As far as I know it is armored. We coupled it at the base of the pole where it comes down in the conduit.

I'm not worried about being charged for it if it gets hit... I just don't want it to get it. They were the last to locate it and everyone knows it.

They do have a contracter do all this and calling them (scott) would be a good idea.

In those kind of cases when you cant get a signal (or perhaps its an empty duct).. are you guys allowed to push something down the duct, like a metal fish tape or a sonde on a rod to locate the path ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience

i would think that the duct would be to tight to push something through!!!! a great idea though!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableVine View Post
    As far as I know it is armored. We coupled it at the base of the pole where it comes down in the conduit.

I'm not worried about being charged for it if it gets hit... I just don't want it to get it. They were the last to locate it and everyone knows it.

They do have a contracter do all this and calling them (scott) would be a good idea.

Ahem! C-clamp cheater clip - if you can get a coupler around it a c-clamp will fit. A small strip of electrical tape will hide the small hole.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience

Default Back to the Seektech

I went to their website and read their information. Sounds like an interesting instrument. The display for field interference seems pretty useful. Other features also sound useful. Does anyone else have experience with it?

I have used it on a locate. Still trying to justify buying one though. (They don't have a demo program which totally sucks) if they did they may sell alot more than they do.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast