Thread: Rycom

Years of Experience

Default Rycom

Has anybody ever used any of these locators? I have heard they are great fault finders with the A Frame, but don't know anyone who actually uses them. I was looking at the Rycom 8880 model and it sounds pretty good, but am interested to see if anyone here on the Vine has anything to say. They have a lot of sonde (and camera) attachments available on the website, so I am guessing that they market to plumbers and water and sewer guys (sort of like Ridgid)? Looking for the good, the bad, or or the ugly. How do they do on multiple utilities? What is the interface like?
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Rycom

I've never used any Rycom fault locator features. I have used a Rycom 8878 for about 5 years now as my everyday locator. As far as I'm concerned there is no better piece of equiptment for all around locating. Very low to no bleed off with a great pin point peak.

The only problems I've had is old outer concentric electric primaries that run forever without many hook up points. For these you definately need a 10 watt transmitter(which as far as I know Rycom doesn't make).

I like the Rycom also for everyday locating stuff. Very good for CTV, tracer lines, secondary and primary electric. Water and drop boxing not so good, there just isn't enough ass in the transmitter.
    These days though I use my Ridgid primarily. Alot of frequencies, alot of different applications for it.
    I've seen the sets that are being sold with the Rycom, sonde and reel etc.. Don't know anyone who has a unit or used one for that.

Years of Experience

Rycom is good for basic locating. Its problems are that it isnt as durable as other locators. Dont get it wet!!!!! I have a lot of them in my office and they break all of the time. Also they dont have a 33 khz range frequency. It jumps from 8 khz to 82 khz which causes problems when ring clamping. It bleeds sometimes with the clamp because of the 82 khz. They are cheaper than other locators. The one thing they have done is caused the other equipment manufacturers to drop their prices. So now for just a little more money you can get a locator with a lot more frequencies which gives you more options. I have used just about everything there is out there and I can tell you that I wouldnt buy one.

Years of Experience

Thanks to all above for the honest input. This gives me a lot more to think about.

To KGossett: Do you think they break because the techs are rough on them, or is it normal wear?

Years of Experience

They are cheaply made. I also have other brands of locators and they dont break down nearly as much.

Years of Experience

Hate it.

Nuff said.

Go with an RD, Subsite, or Vivax instead.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

I have heard a lot of people lately saying Vivax is the way to go. Are they comparable in price to the RD, Subsite?

Years of Experience

And does Vivax have fault finding capabilities (A frame attachment?)

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    Years of Experience

Ditch Witch / Subsite now has a collapsible A-Frame probe for their 900 series locating/fault finding systems.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by GPGrasshopper View Post
    And does Vivax have fault finding capabilities (A frame attachment?)
    They do have fault finding capabilities. An A-frame is available.

What's best for you depends on where your past experience lies and what application you need it for.

If you're familiar with RD's then the Vivax costs a little less and was built by the same engineers as the rd4000.

It's lighter than the 4000 and has a way better powermode.

That said though, all of the newer multi-freq locators should have fault-finding available. The metrotech i5000 is supposed to be pretty good(I hope to find out when they send a unit that's calibrated correctly), some of our cable-techs use dynatel's for fault finding, and i've seen some people who swear by sub-sites.

Tell everyone what you'll use it for and they'll tell you thier experience.

By the way here is the link to the vivax:
    http://www.vivax.biz/new/product/vlocpro.htm

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    They do have fault finding capabilities. An A-frame is available.

What's best for you depends on where your past experience lies and what application you need it for.

If you're familiar with RD's then the Vivax costs a little less and was built by the same engineers as the rd4000.

It's lighter than the 4000 and has a way better powermode.

That said though, all of the newer multi-freq locators should have fault-finding available. The metrotech i5000 is supposed to be pretty good(I hope to find out when they send a unit that's calibrated correctly), some of our cable-techs use dynatel's for fault finding, and i've seen some people who swear by sub-sites.

Tell everyone what you'll use it for and they'll tell you thier experience.

By the way here is the link to the vivax:
    http://www.vivax.biz/new/product/vlocpro.htm
    Thanks for the info. I will be using it to find damage to facilities. Especially phone lines and gas tracer wires. The ones that have been hit at some point during excavation and covered up. I am not that familiar with RD, but do have a lot of experience with Metrotech and Subsite units. I used to have a Dynatel a while back that I used to find them. It worked great with Communication lines.