Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ridgid SR 60 vs RD 8000 PDL

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Ridgid SR 60 vs RD 8000 PDL

Which do you think is the better reciever?

Default Re: Ridgid SR 60 vs RD 8000 PDL

RD 8000 all the way! Very sweet setup!

Years of Experience
    20+

Talking Re: Ridgid SR 60 vs RD 8000 PDL

Quote Originally Posted by Justadrop View Post
    RD 8000 all the way! Very sweet setup!
    Any reasons why you picked the RD8000 over SR60?

Years of Experience

In my experience the Ridgid has a much better power 60 mode than the RD. But i'd say the RD transmitter is nicer. RD is a better price point by a few thousand, but I'd give the Metrotech/Vivax vLoc2 a look it's about half the price of the RD and tested slightly better in highly congested areas.

All that said it may come down to the application you are using it for. All locators have strong and weak points. Lay out what you're looking for and see what everyone says.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    In my experience the Ridgid has a much better power 60 mode than the RD. But i'd say the RD transmitter is nicer. RD is a better price point by a few thousand, but I'd give the Metrotech/Vivax vLoc2 a look it's about half the price of the RD and tested slightly better in highly congested areas.

All that said it may come down to the application you are using it for. All locators have strong and weak points. Lay out what you're looking for and see what everyone says.
    Well i have a rd4000,pipehorn and i want to upgrade to something new.I'm not interested in any locator that takes AA batteries,so the vivax is out.That vivax is an upgraded rd400.I have tried both the rd8000 and SR60,just wondering what others think.

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

I tried the Vivax, I didn't care for it.

The Ridgid locators are way overpriced for something that is really designed for use with a sonde, as a line locator it's nothing to cheer about.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Never used a Ridgid but I've used a lot of RD's and liked each newer model a little more. They aren't for everything but the 8000's are great for weight, durability, and versatility. Two D batteries in the receiver lasted longer than I expected too.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    I tried the Vivax, I didn't care for it.

The Ridgid locators are way overpriced for something that is really designed for use with a sonde, as a line locator it's nothing to cheer about.
    All the lastest locators have a sonde mode,the SR 60 has an (optional) mode that runs sonde and line trace at the same time.Have you tried the rd 8000?

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    All the lastest locators have a sonde mode,the SR 60 has an (optional) mode that runs sonde and line trace at the same time.Have you tried the rd 8000?

I meant the Ridgid works best in that mode.

Yes I have used the 8000, I would take one over a Ridgid, better performance for all around locating at a much lower price.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by Turk182 View Post
    I meant the Ridgid works best in that mode.

Yes I have used the 8000, I would take one over a Ridgid, better performance for all around locating at a much lower price.
    Im a rd fan myself,might stick with rd,but i gotta say that ridgid does some things that 8000 doesn't from what i have seen hands on.

Years of Experience

WHAT DOES IT DO BETTER? I have only had the rigid as a demo but I'm with turk its great for sonde but the response time is pathethic for line locating

Years of Experience

have not tried either one ?????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    WHAT DOES IT DO BETTER? I have only had the rigid as a demo but I'm with turk its great for sonde but the response time is pathethic for line locating
    Well a few things i liked about it was

1.Shows multiple utilities at once on screen

2.Also shows a useable freq for each utility

3.So you can run each utility seperate

4.Approach a utility from any angle

5.Depth any any mode

thats what i noticed hands on from my demo.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Well a few things i liked about it was

1.Shows multiple utilities at once on screen

2.Also shows a useable freq for each utility

3.So you can run each utility seperate

4.Approach a utility from any angle

5.Depth any any mode

thats what i noticed hands on from my demo.
    I've been through that same demo, for experienced locators we noticed the approach from any angle to be nothing special, it didn't make an impact to anyone who tried it out.

Vivax isn't the same as the RD4000, I've demo'd and tested head to head, Vivax wins slightly in very congested areas over the RD8000 for same hook up, same utility.

RD8000 is waaaaay lighter though, so that may make up for where the Vivax performs better. The machine I have doesn't have AA batteries, it has 2 Lithium rechargeable battery packs that last forever.
    Someone asked where the Ridgid was better than the RD, well the Power 60 mode which works on harmonics of the 60hz is far better than the plain 60 cycle the RD has. By the way the Vivax also has the power 60.

The Ridgid transmitters while having better leads leave much to be desired if you regularly induce, their highest frequency is 32khz.

Years of Experience
    20+

I've been through that same demo, for experienced locators we noticed the approach from any angle to be nothing special, it didn't make an impact to anyone who tried it out.

Vivax isn't the same as the RD4000, I've demo'd and tested head to head, Vivax wins slightly in very congested areas over the RD8000 for same hook up, same utility.

RD8000 is waaaaay lighter though, so that may make up for where the Vivax performs better. The machine I have doesn't have AA batteries, it has 2 Lithium rechargeable battery packs that last forever.
    Someone asked where the Ridgid was better than the RD, well the Power 60 mode which works on harmonics of the 60hz is far better than the plain 60 cycle the RD has. By the way the Vivax also has the power 60.

The Ridgid transmitters while having better leads leave much to be desired if you regularly induce, their highest frequency is 32khz.
    How good is the induction mode on the vivax and rd 8000,What freqs they induce at and does it beat pipehorn on distance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast