Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Rd8000

Default Re: Rd8000

Anybody on here used the iLoc feature on the RD8000 where you can control the transmitter with the locator using Bluetooth. Do you guys in the US have a use for this ?

Years of Experience

Used it a few different times demoing the 8000. In my opinion it's not all that great. It wouldn't be a buying point for me.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Doctor Locator; November 22nd, 2011 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Thanks.

Years of Experience
    enough

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Hey hellbilly - You get Wingfoot's:

---------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks

Many users compare the battery life of the RD8000 to the RD4000. The RD4000 uses 4 D-Cell batteries compared to that of just 2 for the RD8000 so in theory the battery life of the RD4000 should last twice as long. Weight is a big factor when selecting a locator so sometimes it is a trade off between battery life and weight.
    I would make sure that you are using good quality batteries that perform well under heavier loads, turn the volume to the lowest setting and consider using the RD rechargeable battery pack that does not get affected so much as alkaline batteries with colder climates. The rechargeable battery packs for the RD8000 locator and transmitters will outperform alkaline batteries and pay for themselves very quickly.

the company hooks the locators up with batteries right? the tech who gave me a ride along uses a 8000 and the batteries drained quick too. It doesn't make sense why they wouldn't put in a rechargeable battery..?

Years of Experience
    enough

Rechargeable batteries are expensive and a pain in the ass.

Quote Originally Posted by hellbilly View Post
    Rechargeable batteries are expensive and a pain in the ass.
    Not if you treat 'em right, and also use a slow 24hr charger and not the quick charger my company provides. I've used my 2 sets for about a year with no problems.

Years of Experience

Ok, where to start.... I find that 65 works great with power. There was one point where I had a feeder, a sprinkler main, a reclaimed water line, a cast iron water line, and street lights running within 15 ft of each other. I started trying to mark the power with 8, bled over, went to 33, bled over, hooked up on the other side and did the same thing. I finally said screw it, and tried 65, and look at that, no bleed over whatsoever.
    I still use 33 most of the time for my underground splices on phone, and I find clamping individual cable tv legs on 33 works the best with this machine.
    I have had problems with it trying to get some tv drops at points, but what i find is strange, is I can clamp that drop and get it where a DC couldn't.
    I used a subside for years, then tried the 4000 for about a week, and traded back. Once the 8000 came out, I tried it, learned it, and find it to be a pretty good piece of equipment.
    Does anybody else feel like this equipment is not built to withstand some of the punishment we have to put it through? I find the wiring on the inside leaves a bit to be desired, and I swear every one of these should be waterproof.
    Oh, and by the way, the 8000 has a better bag.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Just be warned that you absolutely cannot trust the guidance arrows on any of the RD units, no matter what flavor. They are prone to distortion and I have proven them wrong by over a foot. I was direct connected to CableTV once at 33 khz and the peak signal was over a foot away from where the guidance arrows put it.

I hated adjusting the gain every locate so I just purposefully jacked up the gain to like 105/140 and used the guidance arrows only. The locates went alot faster but they were sooooo wrong.

Shouldn't even be on the unit if they are going to be that ****ed up.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

One thing that I've noticed about the 8000 is that there is too much filtering on the passive modes, especially radio. These can be really useful for troubleshooting, and I feel that the new processing software on the 8000 removes a lot of the subtle noises that can be used to locate a difficult to tone line.

With the 4000, I could recognize compound peaks with varying radio noises, and use them to pinpoint CATV and phone drops in congested areas. With the 8000, I feel it throws out any peak or radio noise that doesn't fit neatly into a predefined pattern on the machine.

I've also had trouble toning some older telephone lines, even on higher frequencies.

I keep my 4000 right next to my 8000 in my truck, and use it as much as the 8000, not only for passive modes, but for DC with the 8000 transmitter as well.

my set up is as follows- rd 4000 transmitter ( the one with only 8, 33 & 65 , the one w/o the screen only the red leds) paired with the rd 8000 reciever.... works wonders.... I spent so much time turning on the 8000 transmitter and setting the power then trying to turn the transmitter off was such a pain in the ass, you have to hit the power button twice and hold,,,, forget all that.... give me the 4000 trans with the red leds....... love the radio mode on the 8000.... found it harder to get a good ground w/ the 8000 then the 4000. getting the batteries in and out of the 8000 is the worst design ever...... the only time i use the 8000 transmitter is when I need 512 for some feeder cables, or when I need to induce, or 200 when I've tried everything else before I pothole....
    bottom line is I love having both machines and can locate whatever I have to, but then again I dont mark water anymore and have little experience using rd with water,,, always used an 810...\
    every locator should have 2 pieces of equipment.....
    Oh yeah one more thing....
    on long road jobs I will hook up one machine onto one fiber or cable my other machine onto another cable with a different freq and just toggle back and forth when sweeping the r o w on long streches of roads that technique can save your feet....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234