Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rd8000

Years of Experience

Default Rd8000

Anyone having issues with the new 8000 eating batteries like crazy seems to be a common problem....just sayen

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: Rd8000

what is your power setting? Also what type of weather are you having? If it is cold out and you do not keep your batteries in a warm place you will go through them quickly. IF you are running at 7.5 to 10 watts will drain your batteries quick

Years of Experience

I would love to know the answer to this but it's been years since I've had any new equiptment(management if you are reading this this is a hint). I did find a few old posts that did discuss this issue though.

First thread

Second thread

It is sadly true. It sucks them down quick. Mine will say low battery for a day or two before they actually die though. I think the machine is a pesimist.
    I seek not to know the answers, but to understand the questions.

Years of Experience

I know that the 4000 would run forever we have went through soo many d batteries it is unreal as far as the power it is the factory preset not sure what it is just straight out the box

There is a setting that can be downloaded from RD that will help extend the battery life. Your equipment Tech guy should have done this b/4 it was sent to the field.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

You would think that a company would include a rechargeable battery pack as an option. Just a thought.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    Anyone having issues with the new 8000 eating batteries like crazy seems to be a common problem....just sayen
    Hey TBONE - My RD8000 receiver eats +/- 2 D-cell batteries a day.

My 3-watt RD8000 transmitter will smoke 8 D-cell batteries somewhere between 50 to 80 minutes @ 100% power (4 bars). I use the 100% mode on my cast iron and giant steel gas mains. 100% power works well on cast iron, reinforced concrete and big ductile iron water mains, too. I'll also use the 100% power on my toll fibers that have hook-up points that are miles apart from each other.

When I use my transmitter @ 10% power (1 bar), my transmitter batteries will last for days. The 10% power works well

When I use my coupler, I'll use f33 @ 20% power (2 bars). The tone is very good @ 20% power and my batteries seem to last many days also. I hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------

Years of Experience

You can also turn the sound off on the transmitter once you've established that you have continuity. Just hit the power button once instead of holding it in to turn it off. I run at 20% to 50% constantly for days with many times needing to boost to 100% in certain cases...believe it or not, just turning the volume off has made batteries go from lasting 2 days to 6 or 7 days.
    Character is what you are in the dark. It is the things you do, when nobody can see, and nobody will ever know, that define who you are as an individual.

"Government big enough to supply everything you need is big enough to take everything you have ... The course of history shows that as a government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson

Per Scientiam Vires!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Believe it or not, just turning the volume off has made batteries lasting 2 days go to lasting 6 or 7 days.
    Thanks buddy - That's information I can use today! Of course, how could I expect less from a guy named R.D.!

Years of Experience

same with the receiver i turn my volume off so I concentrate on the locate instead of just listening. It helps break up the day and really extends the battery life.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    There is a setting that can be downloaded from RD that will help extend the battery life. Your equipment Tech guy should have done this b/4 it was sent to the field.
    equiptment tech guy? what the hell is that never had one of them here ever it is open the box and here you go figure it out yourself.

Years of Experience

There is only so much technology that you can cram into these machines, and the power supply issue has remained the same for years now. A few years ago RD had to change the external antenna design (marker ball locating antenna). After the changes the machine just couldn't function the same as before because of the "reconfiguration" process. Same scenario and situation today. As technology continues to escalate, and the need to compete continues to be a driving factor, every manufacturer will have no choice but to add, add, add and still be dependent on batteries. I can't wait for somebody to come up with a very small nuclear power source and all of our battery issues will be solved!! I'll bet every locate equipment manufacturer owns MAJOR stock in Eveready and Duracell!
    Last edited by OVUS1; February 16th, 2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: diction issue
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Wingfoot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RD_Wrangler View Post
    Believe it or not, just turning the volume off has made batteries lasting 2 days go to lasting 6 or 7 days.
    Thanks buddy - That's information I can use today! Of course, how could I expect less from a guy named R.D.!

Hey RD - Just an update - I killed the volume as you said and I haven't changed batteries on my RD8000 transmitter since your post! I still have 2 bars remaining on the battery reserve gauge! Thanks Man!

-------------------------------------------------

Or, you could just use the Power/Passive mode more and save on batteries too !
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast