Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rd8000

Years of Experience

Default rd8000

does anyone use the rd 8000? and how do you like it ?

Default Re: rd8000

Quote Originally Posted by greek1 View Post
    I've been using one for a little over a month and its pretty good. It has more frequencies than you will ever need. And its way lighter than the 4000

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by greek1 View Post
    Got some quality issues that have yet to be fully addressed and resolved. We bought 30-40 for the Indiana startup and have had several fail due to the receiver screen going blank. I was told there was a minor issue with the power flow that was causing this, but there is nothing minor when equipment in the field isn't reliably functional. Not getting a whole lot of attention from RD for an overall fix on this issue either....
    Job Applicant: What does this job pay?
    Employer: I'm going to pay you just what you are worth!
    Job Applicant: I don't think I can work for that......

Problem with the screen going blank? All I need is a tone!

But seriously, I want one of these...my 4000 feels like it's going to pull my shoulder out of socket on some of these 1/2 mile locates that turn into me walking 4 miles after all is said and done. I asked my supervisor about one...he laughed and said "wouldn't that be nice?!"

Years of Experience

got mine a few weeks ago seems to be a little nicer than the 4000 really like the bluetooth for changing the freqa on the fly thats handy and the bag is more locator friendly than the shoulder pack that the 4000 came in as far as the screen issue havent had that happen as of yet will keep an eye on it

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by OVUS1 View Post
    Got some quality issues that have yet to be fully addressed and resolved. We bought 30-40 for the Indiana startup and have had several fail due to the receiver screen going blank. I was told there was a minor issue with the power flow that was causing this, but there is nothing minor when equipment in the field isn't reliably functional. Not getting a whole lot of attention from RD for an overall fix on this issue either....
    I have a couple of the 7000's, and they haven't given us any problems. I've been looking and have been using this new machine called a VLoc pro...I like it. check it out. (ex-rd engineers starting up thier own company, VIVAX..)...the price tag isn't bad either, compared to the 7000 and 8000.

http://www.vivax.biz/new/product/vlocpro_viewall.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Trent3342 View Post
    I have a couple of the 7000's, and they haven't given us any problems. I've been looking and have been using this new machine called a VLoc pro...I like it. check it out. (ex-rd engineers starting up thier own company, VIVAX..)...the price tag isn't bad either, compared to the 7000 and 8000.

I dunno how much confidence I could put in a locator that closely resembles a leaf blower........ Or perhaps it does double as a leaf blower?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by 2RUDE View Post
    I dunno how much confidence I could put in a locator that closely resembles a leaf blower........ Or perhaps it does double as a leaf blower?
    LOL...you got joke's....don't knock it, til you try it. At first glance..I didn't like it either, until I took it in the field.

I just purchased an 8000, Love it! They had some battery life issues in the past but they are fixed, and it was just the machine thinking the batteries were low they were not actually low. The RD rep said this was an issue on almost every locator. and has been taken care of. Induction and the induction clamp work really well with the 8000 in comparison to the 4000. I did not op for the function to control the transmitter from the rec via blutooth it was about 1100 bucks. however you can couple this with a data collector and gps to record whatever you are locating, There is even an interfacing software that allows you to overlay your locate on a map and download it to your laptop. That geophysical info is pretty hard to forge so I see that eliminating alot of the hand drawn sketches and pictures that have become such a pain in the ass with contract locating companies if they choose to spend a little extra up fron to save time in the field.

Years of Experience

They still dont have the battery issues fixed ath this time either on mine guy from Rd came out and looked at it says it is a software issue just to take a battery out and it resets the computer........hell I dont know either

Quote Originally Posted by TBONE View Post
    They still dont have the battery issues fixed ath this time either on mine guy from Rd came out and looked at it says it is a software issue just to take a battery out and it resets the computer........hell I dont know either
    That's a crock of shit. Sounds like they know they have some sort of issue, but it will cost them a boatload of money to fix. They just hope multiple companies don't bitch.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

Years of Experience

Yep what needs to happen is to box them all up and ship them back to them and tell them to keep em and stick with Metrotech ...but im just a locator I dont know nothing

Good info.. Im gonna make sure I note to the boss not to look at the 8000 because of this problem. Its sounding like it should be a recall, but they dont want to suck up the money on it.

@wrightsb1: gps tracking the cable path into a lappy sounds like a great way to update maps.. So this feature requires the bluetooth module, Im guessing ? I wonder how they manage to get an accurate gps reading w/o using some third party system like DGPS/etc. The 'normal' gps system isnt precise enough, Id think (or did they change this..)
    (May you live in interesting times)

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Has anyone here used the GPS feature on the RD8k? Right now the way it works is I go out and mark a survey request, then the surveyors come out right behind me and survey in my marks. Sometimes they miss the finer details of the locate but they get the majority of it. I'm Just curious on how effective this feature is. I have used the 4k and had mixed results with it. I do my fair share of induction and the 4k couldn't keep up with the Tech, especially when it came to conjested areas.

Any Input would be greatly appriciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Trent3342 View Post

The Vivax is the best receiver I have ever used. I've used all of the "mainstream" equipment, 400, 4000, 7000/8000, pipehorn, Dynatel, Rycom.

The antenna on it is 100x more sensitive than anything out there (granted I've not used the newer metrotech's). Case in point - If your gain is on 80 with the RD 7000/8000, it will be on 30 with the Vivax. If I still worked at SM&P, I'd buy one out of my own pocket. It really is THAT much better. Low frequency wasnt even on my transmitter until I got my V-Loc.... Now I hardly ever need to leave 512.

I can't believe SM&P didnt buy any after the eval's....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast