Thread: RD 8000 Coupler(ring clamp)

Years of Experience

Default RD 8000 Coupler(ring clamp)

I've been using the RD8000 for about 6 months now and I am on my third coupler. Has anyone else had problems with the couplers? I know the springs in them are very week and they fall off the cable I'm hooked up to all the time. I don't know if falling too much is wrecking them or what. They still work on real shallow stuff but anything over a couple feet down won't tone at all.

Default Re: RD 8000 Coupler(ring clamp)

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I've been using the RD8000 for about 6 months now and I am on my third coupler. Has anyone else had problems with the couplers? I know the springs in them are very week and they fall off the cable I'm hooked up to all the time. I don't know if falling too much is wrecking them or what. They still work on real shallow stuff but anything over a couple feet down won't tone at all.
    we've had these on our crew now for about 2 years after the district 86'd the subsite 950 (still a better phone and tv locator in my opinion). haven't had much issue locating w/ the RD coupler but same clamping issues. i now carry a large rubber band in my equipment bag to secure the coupler and it seems to do the trick. i also scrape the connector ends w/ high grit sandpaper or emory board every now and then to help get a better signal. as a side note, RD leads are pieces of shit.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

I also had problems with the RD clamps but it was back when I was using the RD4000. The clamps are exactly the same in this generation if I'm not mistaken.

I have had problems toning out telephone manhole systems that would give shitty or no tone with a clamp connection, then I would take off the clamp and put the box up on the telephone riser and then get a good tone, so either it was my clamp that was not working or maybe even the female connector on the transmitter that was broken.
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

I think I have another subsite ring clamp in the shed????
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

i have to buy a new one allmost every year they arent up to the job in my opinon and that also goes for there direct connect leads ive gone through 3 sets this year just got some new ones last week so im having to repair the old ones when i get a chance.
    its a shame because im a rd user never really used anything else

Years of Experience

I really love the 8000 but now when I plug in the ring clamp the transmitter seems to not want to recognize it and think I have the red/blacks plugged in. I baby my equiptment and it makes me mad when I gotta use spare equiptment and send mine in. I'm guessing it's just the female end on the transmitter because when I wiggle the plug for the ring clamp then the transmitter recognizes it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Years of Experience
    30+

I think this is a common problem with all RD 4000, 7000 & 8000. It seems the design of the plus male & female is inadequate for daily use. I have had this problem with clamps and leads.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I really love the 8000 but now when I plug in the ring clamp the transmitter seems to not want to recognize it and think I have the red/blacks plugged in. I baby my equiptment and it makes me mad when I gotta use spare equiptment and send mine in. I'm guessing it's just the female end on the transmitter because when I wiggle the plug for the ring clamp then the transmitter recognizes it. Has anyone else had this problem?
    Yep, sure have. It usually got worse on wet days. When it got damp, the transmitter quit being able to tell when the clamps were plugged in and would go into induction mode instead. Had to turn mine in a few times. Turning it in and getting it fixed was like pulling teeth where I worked and cost me half a day's production and I finally just quit using my clamps on rainy days. A real hassle.