Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mke

Thread: Rd 5000

Years of Experience
    20+

Default Rd 5000

Anyone tried it?

Years of Experience

A fellow locator I see from time to time has one. I asked him about it, his words..."It sucks" I wish I knew more about it to tell you.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Default Re: Rd 5000

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Anyone tried it?
    Only works in one frequency. Easy enough to use but they break down easily. Especially if they get wet. The tone doesn't go very far and often lights everything up to where you can barely distinguish it from bleed off. Granted the ones I had were used and probably abused but I despised mine and went through two others before getting a 430.

Years of Experience
    20+

I was wondering why not many people talk about it,its suppose to be radiodetections answer to the metrotech 810 right?

Years of Experience
    17 years

Not in my opinion. I'll take an 810 anytime.

Years of Experience
    20+

So when you compare the two,how bad does the 810 beat the rd 5000?

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

So... Here is my take on why the 810 (classic) will beat typical single frequency locators.

The 810 with its analog needle and sound react quicker to the direction change from crossing over the target utility. When it reacts quicker, you don't have to slow your natural movement down to wait for the needle or direction arrow to catch up. (I found that I have to walk and locate slower with the digital locators then I would with my 810.)

The other difference is the ability to induce. I know most companies don't approve of induction of utilities, but when done correctly it is great. I'd go into more details, but inductions with the wrong equipment or with out the proper training is useless.

The 810 should still be lighter then the 5k as well.

Typically the biggest difference is the analog feel coupled with the induction abilities.

I have used the ditch which version of the 810, and seen the 5k in action (but not in my hands) and both reacted the same. The signal was pushed as far, bleed off was limited and the pace was slowed down. The induction on the Ditch witch was horrible... absolutely horrible. I dropped the box on a visible cut for a primary servicing a large hotel and it was not able to give me a signal worth a damn. It was low and by the time I got near the transformer it was elusive. I tossed an 810 in the same exact location and was able to get the signal to the transformer and got the secondary to the building. (along with the Firewater, parking lot lights, and Steel gas service =)

I have not tried the new VM-810's. I don't know how well they are going to be since they switched it all to a digital platform.

mke
    daman1 likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Not much I can add to that Mke.
    An 810 backfeeds great when you run out of options, a 5000 barely at all. Runs further, responds quicker. Great on big projects. I can get a locate done in nearly half the time and do just as good of a job. I never used an 810 on comm lines but I suspect the frequency may be too high for that. You're right about the old style analog. I haven't held a digital 810 but I'm hearing they're not impressing people much.

Years of Experience
    20+

Like i said haven't heard anybody talking about the rd5000.How does the metrotech 810 induce compared to the rd8000?The rd5000 transmitter is suppose to induce with the same power as the tx10 from what the info says.If so that sounds like a weak induction coil in both transmitters.