Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By jayc
  • 2 Post By Enjoythefall
  • 1 Post By JarrodHolman1990

Thread: Radio Signal from hollow pipes

Years of Experience

Default Radio Signal from hollow pipes

I have noticed over the years that large pipes >10" (concrete, plastic, galvanized, etc. ) used for drainage under driveways, roads, etc. generate some kind of radio signal and can be "located" passively using radio mode on my receiver. Can anyone explain why hollow pipes generate radio signals?

Years of Experience

Default Re: Radio Signal from hollow pipes

Aren't all pipes hollow inside?

Years of Experience

These pipes don't generate radio signals, they "reflect" them. The EM field from a larger source induces a current into the pipe, and as a result the pipe generates its own EM field, which we measure with our receivers. No pure plastic pipe can carry an EM current, as it is non-conductive. You may be picking up rebar in the concrete, or old metal pipes buried under the plastic ones.

The reason large metal pipes reflect RF noise better is because they are closer in over all length to the wavelength of virtually all RF frequencies, which start @ ~1000 lf/cycle and go up from there.

These pipes are having current induced onto them from countless sources, including but not limited to: Nearby power lines, broadcast antennas, large electrical equipment, dog fences, the Churning of earths core, as well as every celestial RF burst that happens constantly and has been for thousands of years.
    headcipher and yahoo like this.

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by jayc View Post
    Aren't all pipes hollow inside?
    LMAO!!, Jayc............I was having a "blond" moment when posting that.

Years of Experience

Good info Enjoythefall. I do not think these pipes were the source of any radio signal; again, I was having a blond moment when posting this question

I never thought about my transmitter and targeted utility as possibly being a source for the reflected radio signal. Going forward (in the interest of science, of course), I will now make sure to turn my transmitter off before I sweep over these pipes. By reflecting radio signals, do these pipes also amplify the radio signal as well? Kind of like putting a glass against a wall to hear what's being said on the other side.

As you said, we are bombarded by many sources of EM radiation everyday, but I wonder how many sources are natural and how many are man-made? I guessing that most are man-made and probably not very good for human or animal physiology.

Thanks for the help.

Years of Experience

Radio mode reflects signals back to the receiver. You will find that it will pick up pipes regardless of weather they have any services in them or not e.g. A disused water main will no longer carry water in it as it's more then likely cut and has been replaced by a new pipe. Just because it's disused does not mean that radio cannot trace it. In relation to tracing a concrete or plastic pipe though; This pipes will not produce a signal on radio (they are not conductive), the only way you will be getting a signal is A) It has a trace wire with it B) It is a conductible pipe with a concrete lining or C) It is not a drainage pipe and is carrying conductive cables.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience

with Jarrod and Enjoy !
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato