Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: questions about locators

Default questions about locators

I am looking to purchase a locator and based on information and advice from some of the members I am considering a Metrotech 810. It seems to be the most bang for the buck but I was wondering if the 810 gives the depth of the utility being located? I am seeing a few 850's in the price range the company allowed for a locator. How does the 850 compare to the 810? Whats the difference? Does the 850 give depths?

Mke
    Years of Experience

Default Re: questions about locators

Yeah, the 850 and the 810 both give depths. Rule of thumb is to qualify the depths as an "estimated depth", but depending on the situation its pretty accurate.... at least on my 810 it is. I've only used one 850 and had mixed reactions. Between the two I prefer the 810.

To be fair, the 850 I was using was a shop extra and was beat to crap.

The 810's are out of production, but you can still find a few repair shops that have some for sale.

Mke

Years of Experience
    20+

I still think you better off with the Pipehorn 800HL,you get two freqs 9khz low and 480khz high.The metrotech 810 only has 83khz,and the metrotech 850 has only 9khz.The pipehorn is very affordable,and a must have for any locator.

Mke
    Years of Experience

It takes a bit to get used to the manual gain on the 800HL. The other two are "grab and go". Either way, with any of those, knowledge of induction would be advantageous.

mke

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    It takes a bit to get used to the manual gain on the 800HL. The other two are "grab and go". Either way, with any of those, knowledge of induction would be advantageous.

mke
    Can you explain induction?

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by jbrooks View Post
    Call pipehorn and see if they have a rep in your area that can come to your location and demo the 800HL for you.They will show you both inductive,and direct connect mode.You could also go on the pipehorn thread and ask there.

Mke
    Years of Experience

J, Induction is the process of locating utilities without using the "conventional" ways of hooking up via direct connecting to the utility or putting a Ring clamp around the utility. Induction is exactly what it sounds like... Inducing a freequency into a line solely by the radiating signal from the transmitter.

This method is looked bad upon by most contract locating companies, however it is a God send for Water, Private, and SUE guys.

Out of the 3 machines listed, the pipehorn and the 810 are the front runners for induction. If you are curious about exactly how to induce... that is going to be a much longer answer, easier done via phone or E-mails, and definately not for the newly swaggin guys.

If your curious, just let me know.

mke

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    J, Induction is the process of locating utilities without using the "conventional" ways of hooking up via direct connecting to the utility or putting a Ring clamp around the utility. Induction is exactly what it sounds like... Inducing a frequency into a line solely by the radiating signal from the transmitter.

This method is looked bad upon by most contract locating companies. However, it is a God send for Water, Private, and SUE guys.

Out of the 3 machines listed, the pipehorn and the 810 are the front runners for induction. If you are curious about exactly how to induce... that is going to be a much longer answer and definitely not for the newly swaggin guys.

mke
    Hey guys - I agree with Mke - Induction locating is a technique better regulated to a locate technician who has more than a basic understanding of direct connection locating. A noob on strictly induction locating would be confusing for the noob, to say the least. I would lead Jbrooks more towards the orthodox, direct-connection locating equipment if direct connection points of the target utility(s) are available and an accurate depth reading of that utility(s) is desired.

Pipehorn Model 100

The Pipehorn is a fantastic induction piece of locating equipment that compliments the orthodox, direct-connection locating equipment (i.e. Radiodetection, Rycom, Dynatel, Vivax-Metrotech, etc.). The Pipehorn will find the elusive utility the orthodox locating equipment does not nail down.

The good thing about a Pipehorn locator is it will find any buried utility. The bad thing about a Pipehorn locator is it will find any buried utility.

--------------------------------------------------------

Thanks much for the info on induction. I have an opportunity to get a Pipehorn 800HL from a locate tech who is getting out of the business. I feel more comfortable getting one from someone who knows something about the locator rather than off ebay from some pawn shop or someone " selling it for a friend". Maybe he can talk to me about induction methods. Is the 800HL a good locator for induction locates?

Years of Experience
    20+

Thanks much for the info on induction. I have an opportunity to get a Pipehorn 800HL from a locate tech who is getting out of the business. I feel more comfortable getting one from someone who knows something about the locator rather than off ebay from some pawn shop or someone " selling it for a friend". Maybe he can talk to me about induction methods. Is the 800HL a good locator for induction locates?
    Yes,you can't go wrong with it.You can probally get one brand new for under 1600 bucks.Have you called and priced one yet?

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Yes,you can't go wrong with it.You can probally get one brand new for under 1600 bucks.Have you called and priced one yet?
    If you have little experience with locating and do not know how to use induction, I would not start with a pipe horn.

Don't get me wrong, I both use and love the pipehorn, yet it is one of the locators that need the most experience to use. I carry and use several locators and utilities, and in no way would I recommend starting with a pipe horn.

Before dropping cash on a piece of equipment, please talk about what you locate and how much experience you have. Then weigh the advice and make a decision.

My 2 cents is consider the 810 first, and the pipehorn second. Metrotech is making a new version of the 810 that has received rave reviews by both old school and new locators. You can also find used machines for pretty cheap on eBay.

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    If you have little experience with locating and do not know how to use induction, I would not start with a pipe horn.

Don't get me wrong, I both use and love the pipehorn, yet it is one of the locators that need the most experience to use. I carry and use several locators and utilities, and in no way would I recommend starting with a pipe horn.

Before dropping cash on a piece of equipment, please talk about what you locate and how much experience you have. Then weigh the advice and make a decision.

My 2 cents is consider the 810 first, and the pipehorn second. Metrotech is making a new version of the 810 that has received rave reviews by both old school and new locators. You can also find used machines for pretty cheap on eBay.
    Whats wrong with him starting with a pipehorn? The 810 and pipehorn both do induction and direct connect.The guy is new to locating.The 810 has 1 freq 83khz,auto gain,and depth.The pipehorn 800hl has two freqs 9khz,and 480khz,and is probally cheaper.They both do induction and direct connect,so whats the problem with him starting with it?When you look at the specs you see little difference in the two.I would go with the pipehorn cause of the low and high freq.He also said price was an issue as well.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by yaherdme22 View Post
    Whats wrong with him starting with a pipehorn? The 810 and pipehorn both do induction and direct connect.The guy is new to locating.The 810 has 1 freq 83khz,auto gain,and depth.The pipehorn 800hl has two freqs 9khz,and 480khz,and is probally cheaper.They both do induction and direct connect,so whats the problem with him starting with it?When you look at the specs you see little difference in the two.I would go with the pipehorn cause of the low and high freq.He also said price was an issue as well.
    The Pipehorn is a dangerous tool when not in the hands of an experienced locator, which this person has already told us he is not. The Pipehorns are great tools, but they are NOT user-friendly for the casual/beginner locator. Hence the push to the 810, which is very user-friendly to the casual/beginner locator.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience
    20+

Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    The Pipehorn is a dangerous tool when not in the hands of an experienced locator, which this person has already told us he is not. The Pipehorns are great tools, but they are NOT user-friendly for the casual/beginner locator. Hence the push to the 810, which is very user-friendly to the casual/beginner locator.
    lol thats funny dangerous tool,then the 810 is dangerous too cause it does the same thing induction and direct connect.What he needs to do is contact metrotech and pipehorn and see about getting demos of the equipment then decide from there.

Mke
    Years of Experience

yaherdme, I think what the guys are saying, is that due to some of the options the Pipehorn has (manual gain, multi-frequencies) it is a little more difficult to to get used to from the noob stand point. No one said it wasn't a good machine, or affordable. But when you have someone with little experience, and you give him a piece of equipment that has these options, (yes, easily worked with and learned) it will slow down the initial stage of learning the utilities. Once you get the basic process down, you can add in equipment with multi-freq's and not be totally lost.

In the big scheme of things, there is very little difference between the two machines. Other than the manual gain and multi freq. With that being said, I locate multiple utilities, everything from storm and water to streetlights. HV elec feeders to HP aviation fuel. Abandoned utilities to any weird metalic signals under the asphalt. The 810 with its single frequency can get me 85% of it all. The other 15% would be difficult to pick up with a single additional low frequency.

I think we should wait for Brooks to answer Ciphers question about the utilities he will be locating before we continue.

Mke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast