Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

Default Question on grounding methods in the roadway

I am relitively new to locating and was wondering what is the best method in which to ground the transmitter when in the roadway with no access to soil and a groundstake (ie. in the asphalt or concrete). Thanks.

Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

This probably dumb to respond since I'm a newb here, too. But, I have a roll of soft 14ga wire I use to extend the reach of my "transmitter" to the ground stake or to the line I'm tracing. Just a suggestion. I'll wait and see what the real locators post.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a real locator responded.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

ditto.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

What are you hooking to? What surface features are surrounding your hookup point? What utility are you trying to send your signal into? Or, is this just a general question?

Yes, the real locator has arrived.

LMAO! Take that Yahoo.
    Now where did I put that valid dig ticket??
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

as Ifindit.. asked I would have to wonder the same thing?????
    Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    What are you hooking to? What surface features are surrounding your hookup point? What utility are you trying to send your signal into? Or, is this just a general question?

Yes, the real locator has arrived.

LMAO! Take that Yahoo.
    Now where did I put that valid dig ticket??
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

I first look for cracks in the asphalt or concrete. Anywhere you see a weed poking through you can normally squeeze a screwdriver in for a ground. Alot of the time if the access point is a gas riser or transformer next to a commercial building you can find a void in the concrete or asphalt where it meets the building. If no cracks around I use an extension lead like Inspired stated.

I would be hooking onto a water utility with a vault containing the pipeline- usually filled with water-that I put one lead into and need to find a ground (Preferably one that does not cross over multiple utilities as would be the case if running a ground wire to the parkway).

Years of Experience

hooking to a tracer wire or to the pipe/valve itself sometimes you can hook to the flange on the rim on the manhole

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I've run into this myself. Trying to locate a gas service on the side of a school surrounded by asphalt as far as your leads can reach.

Cracks in the asphalt are great points for grounding. The gas meter itself if the service is plastic and the tracer wire is sticking up. But, a steel gas service has no trace so you must scrounge for a ground. Sometimes the service will have a guard around it that you can scrape a bit of paint off of to gain a ground. If worse comes to absolute worse, pour water on the asphalt til you have a puddle and then lay your ground rod in the puddle (with lead attached of course) and you should have a decent ground.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

Years of Experience
    lifetime

linerider uses an extension cord with clamps on the ends, i stole his idea and instead made adapters for the extension cord. i can carry a couple of adapters and add as many cords as i need to get to dirt.

if i don't have enough cord to reach and the other suggested methods can't be applied, i just go surfing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6391.jpg   bull8_1549451i..jpg  
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

4Q2
    Years of Experience

"They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
    Joni Mitchell

Welcome Willy! I'm currently on the RED STRIPE list in this forum. I'm OK with it because I like Red Stripe beer and it kind of matches my pretty face on my avatar! But that doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about locating. I locate in a state that probably has more pavement than any other. Here's two simple tricks I use for grounding through pavement and winter frozen ground conditions:

I have an old cordless hammer drill I keep in my truck with a long 3/16" masonry bit and drill though the pavement or frozen ground. No ground rod necessary, just hook your ground lead to the bit and go.

The second trick that you should never admit to using is for working in roadways. Some people claim it's not a valid hookup and won't work but fact is it has worked for me. Just pull your truck up to the manhole or vault, turn on your beacon, turn off your truck, hook your ground to the vehicle frame and go. The mass of the truck should provide enough ground. This also helps out with traffic control. Great for short mark outs, just watch you don't drain your battery.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

If the vault has water in it......just drop your ground lead into the water. or hook to the metal rim as someone else suggested.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I first look for cracks in the asphalt or concrete. Anywhere you see a weed poking through you can normally squeeze a screwdriver in for a ground. Alot of the time if the access point is a gas riser or transformer next to a commercial building you can find a void in the concrete or asphalt where it meets the building. If no cracks around I use an extension lead like Inspired stated.
    If there is a crack in the asphalt my ground pounder will get through, though it takes a little effort sometimes, the same goes for concrete.

Years of Experience

this is neat i never know that, but how in the world would it work with no metel touching the ground? thanks for the input

Quote Originally Posted by 4Q2 View Post
    "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
    Joni Mitchell

Welcome Willy! I'm currently on the RED STRIPE list in this forum. I'm OK with it because I like Red Stripe beer and it kind of matches my pretty face on my avatar! But that doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about locating. I locate in a state that probably has more pavement than any other. Here's two simple tricks I use for grounding through pavement and winter frozen ground conditions:

I have an old cordless hammer drill I keep in my truck with a long 3/16" masonry bit and drill though the pavement or frozen ground. No ground rod necessary, just hook your ground lead to the bit and go.

The second trick that you should never admit to using is for working in roadways. Some people claim it's not a valid hookup and won't work but fact is it has worked for me. Just pull your truck up to the manhole or vault, turn on your beacon, turn off your truck, hook your ground to the vehicle frame and go. The mass of the truck should provide enough ground. This also helps out with traffic control. Great for short mark outs, just watch you don't drain your battery.
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast