Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    I am relitively new to locating and was wondering what is the best method in which to ground the transmitter when in the roadway with no access to soil and a groundstake (ie. in the asphalt or concrete). Thanks.

  2. #2
    Junior Member Inspired's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Phoenix
    Posts
    23
    Rep Power
    8

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    This probably dumb to respond since I'm a newb here, too. But, I have a roll of soft 14ga wire I use to extend the reach of my "transmitter" to the ground stake or to the line I'm tracing. Just a suggestion. I'll wait and see what the real locators post.

  3. #3
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    Sounds like a real locator responded.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  4. #4
    Senior Member sprayandpray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    2,120
    Rep Power
    94

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    ditto.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !


    It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !


    The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

  5. #5
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    What are you hooking to? What surface features are surrounding your hookup point? What utility are you trying to send your signal into? Or, is this just a general question?

    Yes, the real locator has arrived.






    LMAO! Take that Yahoo.
    Now where did I put that valid dig ticket??
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


  6. #6
    Senior Member yahoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Louisiana
    Posts
    3,909
    Years of Experience
    15
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    as Ifindit.. asked I would have to wonder the same thing?????
    Quote Originally Posted by ifinditunderground View Post
    What are you hooking to? What surface features are surrounding your hookup point? What utility are you trying to send your signal into? Or, is this just a general question?

    Yes, the real locator has arrived.






    LMAO! Take that Yahoo.
    Now where did I put that valid dig ticket??
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

  7. #7
    Moderator Goldenboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,308
    Years of Experience
    18
    Rep Power
    65

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    I first look for cracks in the asphalt or concrete. Anywhere you see a weed poking through you can normally squeeze a screwdriver in for a ground. Alot of the time if the access point is a gas riser or transformer next to a commercial building you can find a void in the concrete or asphalt where it meets the building. If no cracks around I use an extension lead like Inspired stated.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    I would be hooking onto a water utility with a vault containing the pipeline- usually filled with water-that I put one lead into and need to find a ground (Preferably one that does not cross over multiple utilities as would be the case if running a ground wire to the parkway).

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    around the corner
    Posts
    548
    Years of Experience
    21
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    hooking to a tracer wire or to the pipe/valve itself sometimes you can hook to the flange on the rim on the manhole

  10. #10
    Administrator TheCableVine's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    2,943
    Years of Experience
    16
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    134

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    I've run into this myself. Trying to locate a gas service on the side of a school surrounded by asphalt as far as your leads can reach.

    Cracks in the asphalt are great points for grounding. The gas meter itself if the service is plastic and the tracer wire is sticking up. But, a steel gas service has no trace so you must scrounge for a ground. Sometimes the service will have a guard around it that you can scrape a bit of paint off of to gain a ground. If worse comes to absolute worse, pour water on the asphalt til you have a puddle and then lay your ground rod in the puddle (with lead attached of course) and you should have a decent ground.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

  11. #11
    Senior Member 1idejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    state of Jefferson
    Posts
    181
    Years of Experience
    lifetime
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    linerider uses an extension cord with clamps on the ends, i stole his idea and instead made adapters for the extension cord. i can carry a couple of adapters and add as many cords as i need to get to dirt.

    if i don't have enough cord to reach and the other suggested methods can't be applied, i just go surfing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_6391.jpg   bull8_1549451i..jpg  
    You Can't Fix It Till You Find It - Jim 3:23

  12. #12
    4Q2
    4Q2 is offline
    Senior Member 4Q2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pine Barrens
    Posts
    107
    Years of Experience
    12
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
    Joni Mitchell

    Welcome Willy! I'm currently on the RED STRIPE list in this forum. I'm OK with it because I like Red Stripe beer and it kind of matches my pretty face on my avatar! But that doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about locating. I locate in a state that probably has more pavement than any other. Here's two simple tricks I use for grounding through pavement and winter frozen ground conditions:

    I have an old cordless hammer drill I keep in my truck with a long 3/16" masonry bit and drill though the pavement or frozen ground. No ground rod necessary, just hook your ground lead to the bit and go.

    The second trick that you should never admit to using is for working in roadways. Some people claim it's not a valid hookup and won't work but fact is it has worked for me. Just pull your truck up to the manhole or vault, turn on your beacon, turn off your truck, hook your ground to the vehicle frame and go. The mass of the truck should provide enough ground. This also helps out with traffic control. Great for short mark outs, just watch you don't drain your battery.

  13. #13
    Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
    Posts
    1,808
    Years of Experience
    20
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    93

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    If the vault has water in it......just drop your ground lead into the water. or hook to the metal rim as someone else suggested.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia


  14. #14
    Senior Member Turk182's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Stuck outside of Mobile with the Memphis blues again
    Posts
    311
    Years of Experience
    4
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenboy View Post
    I first look for cracks in the asphalt or concrete. Anywhere you see a weed poking through you can normally squeeze a screwdriver in for a ground. Alot of the time if the access point is a gas riser or transformer next to a commercial building you can find a void in the concrete or asphalt where it meets the building. If no cracks around I use an extension lead like Inspired stated.
    If there is a crack in the asphalt my ground pounder will get through, though it takes a little effort sometimes, the same goes for concrete.

  15. #15
    Senior Member FiosKing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Way North
    Posts
    254
    Years of Experience
    100
    Rep Power
    20

    Default Re: Question on grounding methods in the roadway

    this is neat i never know that, but how in the world would it work with no metel touching the ground? thanks for the input

    Quote Originally Posted by 4Q2 View Post
    "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot"
    Joni Mitchell

    Welcome Willy! I'm currently on the RED STRIPE list in this forum. I'm OK with it because I like Red Stripe beer and it kind of matches my pretty face on my avatar! But that doesn't mean I don't know a thing or two about locating. I locate in a state that probably has more pavement than any other. Here's two simple tricks I use for grounding through pavement and winter frozen ground conditions:

    I have an old cordless hammer drill I keep in my truck with a long 3/16" masonry bit and drill though the pavement or frozen ground. No ground rod necessary, just hook your ground lead to the bit and go.

    The second trick that you should never admit to using is for working in roadways. Some people claim it's not a valid hookup and won't work but fact is it has worked for me. Just pull your truck up to the manhole or vault, turn on your beacon, turn off your truck, hook your ground to the vehicle frame and go. The mass of the truck should provide enough ground. This also helps out with traffic control. Great for short mark outs, just watch you don't drain your battery.
    "What Are You Doin!?!? GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!"
    you have entered a restricted area

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •