Thread: Is Power/Passive locating about to become History?

Default Is Power/Passive locating about to become History?

I need someone smart to advise me if this will eliminate the ability to locate by Power/ Passive mode?

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2011/06/2...cy/#more-42248
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

Default Re: Is Power/Passive locating about to become History?

I believe the receivers for the rd's power mode is a 50/60 hz. possible to also be used in Europe since I believe they run on 240v/50hz. The unregulated monitoring of the 60 hz will cause problems for clock and ic chips using hertz to regulate. Also if it drops to like 50Hz florescent lights will begin to flicker.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

No, this will not mean an end to 60 hrtz sweeps.

Sixty cycle is self regulated by the necessity to tie together the output of many different generators of many different firms. If two circuits are tied together and the cyclic rate is too far off there will be a flow of current between the various generators similar to a short circuit. Tying together out of sync circuits would burn out the power grid.

The various generators have to be sync within tolerance to prevent the system from burning out. But they can be a little bit out of sync and not burn out the system, this would affect the synchronous motors used by clocks and some other devices. Still it would be in close enough tolerance that our equipment in a passive 60 cycle sweep would be able to detect it.

Senior Member FailedSafetyAudit's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessionalLocator View Post
    No, this will not mean an end to 60 hrtz sweeps.

Sixty cycle is self regulated by the necessity to tie together the output of many different generators of many different firms. If two circuits are tied together and the cyclic rate is too far off there will be a flow of current between the various generators similar to a short circuit. Tying together out of sync circuits would burn out the power grid.

The various generators have to be sync within tolerance to prevent the system from burning out. But they can be a little bit out of sync and not burn out the system, this would affect the synchronous motors used by clocks and some other devices. Still it would be in close enough tolerance that our equipment in a passive 60 cycle sweep would be able to detect it.

NICE!!!! Hopefully radio passive will be OK too??
    TRUST no one !!!
    QUESTION everything !!!
    Find the TRUTH for yourself !!!
    Sound a bit paranoid ???
    That's what this business is. - Don Lyng

Years of Experience

don't know too much about it but don't 3 phase motors have to be 60 cycle to start? seems from my old a/c days that the phases are all synced to 60 cycles

Years of Experience

Radio passive really doesn't have anything to do with 60 cycle, which just looks for a narrow band of frequencies around 50-60 hz. This is because that is what the majority of power infrastructures run at.

Radio Passive, on the other hand means that your receiver is looking for any radio frequency on a line. The actual range could vary between manufacturers, but technically anything between 3 kHz and 300 GHz is considered a Radio Frequency. So instead of looking for the EM field created by the power plant, it is looking for any RF signal. This could come from a nearby radio station, amateur radio broadcasts, large equipment being operated in the area, and even a large solar flare. I think I even saw a post about someone inducing Radio Frequencies on a line with their truck ignition.