Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daman1

Thread: Post Indicator Valves

Years of Experience

Default Post Indicator Valves

Ok guys hoping for a little help. One of the cities I locate has decided that you don't need to use a tracer wire on the PIV switch anymore. Most of the piv I do have a 28 gauge wire in the sheath that is for locating. The newer ones no longer have this wire. I have tried ring clamping one wire,both wires on every freq. I have. We only tried direct connect once. My coworker set off the alarm and a 5 story office building was evacuated. More than a little embarrassed. Is it possible to direct connect without setting it off? Any other suggestions? This is getting more and more common, I have had 3 this week.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Post Indicator Valves

Quote Originally Posted by orangeboots View Post
    Ok guys hoping for a little help. One of the cities I locate has decided that you don't need to use a tracer wire on the PIV switch anymore. Most of the piv I do have a 28 gauge wire in the sheath that is for locating. The newer ones no longer have this wire. I have tried ring clamping one wire,both wires on every freq. I have. We only tried direct connect once. My coworker set off the alarm and a 5 story office building was evacuated. More than a little embarrassed. Is it possible to direct connect without setting it off? Any other suggestions? This is getting more and more common, I have had 3 this week.
    I don't know about that. I mean what is a PIV switch? I do know that when fiber optic cables came out the engineers were very proud that they had devised a communication cable that used no metal. And then the locate industry said hey, the line is un-locateable so if it gets hit you are responsible. And that is where tracer wires came from. Some of those FO lines with no tracer are still out there I suppose.

Years of Experience

If PL doesn't know anything about this technology, we are doomed ! Orange it appears you will be on your own for this one. Maybe Wing is familiar with this one ??? I have never heard of this either .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

https://goo.gl/images/Ke4dDX The small box in the front is connected to the alarm system

Years of Experience
    17 years

https://goo.gl/images/Ke4dDX The small box in the front is connected to the alarm system
    Sounds to me lime the utility screwed up. If you can't direct connect without setting off the alarms you'd be stuck looming for risers and access points. Which could be so far away the signal wont travel. Sorry friend. I'm stumped.

Ive located water but not as much as Wingfoot. Maybe you can convince him to add some 36DD bikini shots in to his response. I need a new desktop picture.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    a few

This is just a guess as I have never had to trace one but at least one of the two wires should be able to be grounded with a spike then the ring clamp should work, which wire did your helper hook to that set off the alarm?

Years of Experience

Cuda he does't remember. He was so freaked out when the alarms started he grabbed his stuff and ran. I had another one yesterday. I am going to call the manufacturer Monday. I hope they will have some ideas. It is a very small compartment and the screws are very close.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda View Post
    This is just a guess as I have never had to trace one but at least one of the two wires should be able to be grounded with a spike then the ring clamp should work, which wire did your helper hook to that set off the alarm?
    I would make a written request to the client asking for a procedure that does not set off alarms. Lacking a positive response and still required to perform the locate would just hook up. If an alarm goes off that id just what has to be done to meet the legal requirements of doing a call before you dig locate.

On some phone services the burglar alarm is tied to the phone service. Disconnecting the ground would send an alarm to the alarm monitor company who would send the police. Just had to be done.

Years of Experience
    11.75 yrs

From looking at it, it looks like it is not fiber but copper wires and and feeds back a signal when it is closed. Probably direct connect completed a normally open switch. I would see if the building maintenance depart can isolate it and take the alarm out of the loop. Seems would be possible if maintenance or flushing would be required. Are they grounding to the hydrant?

Years of Experience

There is a wiring diagram at the very bottom. There is a hot and common with a resistor connecting them. Not so simple getting a alarm bypass. I am a private locator and most of the time working for 3rd parties. Mostly strip malls and office buildings with nobody around .https://www.pottersignal.com/product...01526_PCVS.pdf
    Last edited by orangeboots; January 19th, 2019 at 10:01 PM.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Cuda he does't remember. He was so freaked out when the alarms started he grabbed his stuff and ran. I had another one yesterday. I am going to call the manufacturer Monday. I hope they will have some ideas. It is a very small compartment and the screws are very close.
    Just grabbed his stuff and ran ... .... that's hilarious. Sounds like this guy will make a good locator. Get some experience under his belt and he'll know to grab his stuff, mark it real quick, and get the hell out of there before the shit hits the fan. Bill it out. Off to the next ticket.
    Last edited by daman1; January 21st, 2019 at 01:19 PM.