Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pleese Educayte Me!

TMO
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Pleese Educayte Me!

Quote Originally Posted by daman1 View Post
    Someone pulled the u-guard before I got there. I'll be a good guy and put it back on before I leave. =)
    I think i saw a youtube video once showing how useful a Bosch 12 volt cordless impact driver can be. backs out a 1/2" bolt quick quick .

On gas meters encased in concrete, i have run into them typically behind a strip mall or business, and i have used a metal door frame , but basically anything large enough to pull the ground. in a pinch , i have used the actual steel support for the poly riser itself, i wouldnt trus it direct around the riser, but once you get out away from it a little , the return path is usually telling the truth.
    those stand alone meters are common here for r.v.'s , trailers, and TXDOT (state highway dept.) . Usually find them hitting a transformer , or up the nearest pole.

If all else fails remove the leads and lean the transmitter against the U-guard and induce the signal. You can also connect the copper ground on the pole if there is a splice case (telephone and CATV) where the riser is at and works also for electric if the pipe is to large for the ring clamp to fit around. The signal next to the pole will not be great and around guy wires but get out far enough the signal is decent most of the time.

Years of Experience

For the free standing meter if you can't get your ring clamp around the grey pipe because it is too close to the wood post remember you can clamp it on the outfeed side and it should give you a good signal. I'm guessing the direct connecting isn't working because these are ungrounded meters.

The gas meter you should just be able too hook up the red to the shut off or the tracer wire and the black lead can go anywhere above the insulated fitting just above the shutoff valve. Most gas meters are held up by a piece of metal driven into the ground and two u-bolts hold the meter to this piece of metal which is driven into the ground, this is great gound. A 20 ft extension lead will solve most of these problems unless you are in the concrete jungle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12