Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Pipehorn training

Years of Experience

Default Pipehorn training

I would like to thank David Dodd for flying out to Colorado Springs and doing a training and demonstration session. We had more than a few skeptics over whether the pipehorn could really be of benefit to us in the field, and I have to say that David's fine demonstration opened up our crew to the possibility of giving it a chance.

David, you really did a fine job of explaining and demonstrating how to use the pipehorn and it's potential benefits. I would also recommend that anyone who is a skeptic contact David Dodd and get a demo, you'll never know if the pipehorn is for you if you never give it a shot.

Thanks again.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Pipehorn training

I have a Pipehorn and I think it is a great asset.
    "Change does not always equal progress."

The most important thing about using a Pipehorn that every locator should know is this: A great locator knows when to break it out and when to leave it in the truck.
    yahoo likes this.

Years of Experience
    17 years

Quote Originally Posted by headcipher View Post
    I would like to thank David Dodd for flying out to Colorado Springs and doing a training and demonstration session. We had more than a few skeptics over whether the pipehorn could really be of benefit to us in the field, and I have to say that David's fine demonstration opened up our crew to the possibility of giving it a chance.

David, you really did a fine job of explaining and demonstrating how to use the pipehorn and it's potential benefits. I would also recommend that anyone who is a skeptic contact David Dodd and get a demo, you'll never know if the pipehorn is for you if you never give it a shot.

Thanks again.

I've never used one myself but the water/sewer guys love em. Never seen one used on gas or telecom. Are they general purpose or for a specific need?

Years of Experience
    30+

David knows his Pipehorns. I also recommend him for showing the benefits of a Pipehorn.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Daman, they are kinda like the 810 (bear with me) they are a general locator that can locate multiple utilities, but they kick ass in induction which certian utilities need.

I am fortunately an 810 guy, but will give props to another company that can design equipment to properly induce frequencies on crappy lines.

mke

Issue i had with the horn is the gain- to little or to much continual tweaking either misses the targeted facility or has me chasing bleed-off or a ghost signal.

Lack of knowing the instrument could have been the issue of course ? I m a lefty and holding the reciever in my right hand to do knob tweaks with the thumb got agravating... Spent to much time doing 360's without knowing where the gain should be. Screw that.

The surelock with 480 khz (pipe horn frequency) and the automatic gain like the 810 was the #@%$, then I relocated to a new state with a different soil content and couldnt trust induction at all... It sucked because my 80% induction days were over...Ended up with the deadweight 4000 90% low frequency before throwing in the towel for now...

Just my take on horn and where I ended up.
    Last edited by UTILQ1; March 30th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mke View Post
    Daman, they are kinda like the 810 (bear with me) they are a general locator that can locate multiple utilities, but they kick ass in induction which certian utilities need.

I am fortunately an 810 guy, but will give props to another company that can design equipment to properly induce frequencies on crappy lines.

mke

I was a big 810 82khz inducer for years until coming across that hotter 480khz frequency. If you can drop the 480 transmitter away from all but the targeted facility no matter how close the facilities are to one another say 10 ft from transmitter to say 50ft - ie house services (electric catv, and phone ) when they all leave the riser and stay close together heading toward the mains well that 480 is so hot it will isolate each facility better than that inductive 82khz.

One is taught that the low frequency is always the best to use to isolate a target which is true but that hot 480 frequency is a contradiction in circumstances. It will overpower any would be nearby bleed off conductors.

Once the facilities separate beyond the effective distance you just grab that transmitter and relocate it further out. Just like clock work!

I could do whole intersections of multiple facilities - then look at the prints to see if I won my blind locate challenge...

Have to do something to spice it up on occasion.

*all this is obviously void in fios world* another reason for saying adiose
    Last edited by UTILQ1; March 30th, 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Years of Experience

Headcipher:

Thanks for the kind words and thanks for inviting me out to Colorado Springs (what a beautiful place...)

You have a very impressive group.

Training eager, highly-skilled locators at the base of Pike's Peak in 60 degree sunny weather? Man, that isn't even work...

DD
    phoenix827 likes this.

I wish I had anything that could induce water mains right now. You'd think a 16" main would tone, even polywrapped, but alas, Radiodetection variable watt transmitters can't isolate facilities at all. Even with a good dozen or so frequencies to choose from. I've wanted a pipehorn ever sine I started locating but the company I work for will not purchase them as a rule. They are considered "dangerous."

Years of Experience

I love the Pipehorn, but I still use the old 810 most of the time, especially on those 16" and larger h2o mains. Here's what I currently carry, until the next demos roll in, Metrotech 810, 850, Vivax/metrotech vLocML2, Pipehorn, and an old school schonstedt ferromagnetic metal detector. Each tool has it's time and place to be used. I find the Pipehorn to be most useful for gas and ungrounded street lights.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Cipher,

The only thing you seem to be missing is a Split Box. I've used the Aqua Tronics A-6 tracer for years and I've had it hit on a couple of water lines the 810 couldn't get. It works a bit differently then the 810, but she works in tandem with it perfectly.

Although, with that much equipment... you'll be running out of room in the work truck.

Mke

I saw a pipehorn training ads from pipehorndotcom before, well they are offering the training which is free of charge. I was just curious on how could they offer a training for free.

(Spammy Link Removed)
    Last edited by TheCableVine; August 20th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.

Years of Experience
    30+

David Dodd is the Pipehorn rep wo is on this forum. He can answer any questions on the Pipehorn.

Years of Experience

guess I'm just stuck with a vivax ..........
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast