Thread: Phone and power to water??

Default Phone and power to water??

Hey all, I have located Phone(AT&T) and power as a combo for many years. Recently I had a employee from the local water company come and ask me if I would be interested in locating for them as they are now require to become a member. The pay is slightly better, and benefits are almost identical. I am just curious to ask who here has done phone and power and water and which one they thought would be the best choice to do, stay where I am or dive into some blue paint.

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Re: Phone and power to water??

Generally speaking the inhouse locators for local utilites have better pay, better benefits, more paid hoildays, often Sunday shift pay and more job security. That is the first thing you should check on. Generaly contract locators will duel with ground rods to get that job.

Water and sewer, tend to go hand in hand, offer different challenges but for a 9 year tech for power and phone transition will not be a problem. I have seen locators that have only ever marked water and sewer struggle with phone and electric.

Many sewer lines today are plastic and unlocatable. Most utility owned water services stop at the cut off valve in the front yard, easy and quick marking. At least in my area.

Years of Experience

locating water is just like locating anything else....you ground you send hot signal down the line ....tracer wire or steel main.....and you locate signal......! You will love it I am sure . some or most of their plant may not be relocatable and may have to use some old paper plats to find the lines and use footage measurements ??? I would go for it and Do NOT burn your bridges just in case you find out while your over there that it is NOT for you.....you will have to go take some tests with DHH to work at a water plant......distribution, production, and sometimes treatment tests will have to be passed for your certifications.....They willl send you to school for that though ...Good Luck !!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

Years of Experience

Can't recommend it enough... especially if it's higher pay... I did that transition 2 yrs. ago for less pay...

Find out if they use GPR's for the pe and pvc lines with no tracer... and also if they have good as-builts... and like PL said... no more walking into people's properties... circle the meter and go go go...

Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty sure I'm going to make the transition. This company in particular only locates the water as county handles the sewer. Also no gpr here just a wheel and your prints. Also I like the idea of not having to fight briars and bushes getting to a customers meter or nid!!!!

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by The Big-E View Post
    Can't recommend it enough... especially if it's higher pay... I did that transition 2 yrs. ago for less pay...

Find out if they use GPR's for the pe and pvc lines with no tracer... and also if they have good as-builts... and like PL said... no more walking into people's properties... circle the meter and go go go...
    Having marked water I found not all water services came a straight 90 degrees off the curb to the meter. Best to tone from the meter / valve out to the main in the street. Also although most mains here are in the street some are in the yards along the curb.

Years of Experience

I marked United Water in NJ for a while. It was easy. For me, water is the easiest utility to locate, plus it is usually the deepest, so the risk of damage is less.
    The company I worked for required us to find all the services from the valve to the house. These are usually copper and tone beautifully. Just watch out, not every address has a water service...they may have a well.
    Creosote is unlocateable for the most part. Aquifers and concrete pipes are difficult as well. But usually there is one old guy employed by the company that knows every valve, pipe, meter or service in the entire plant.
    Go for it, and post often.