Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noob with old questions

Default Noob with old questions

I'm sure this stuff was answered innumerable times on the old forum, but I guess that's all gone now.

The boss has decided that we are going to go into the private locating business as a sideline. He started with wanting to be able to double check & clear our own jobsites for excavating & drilling. Then he got the idea that we should do it for money.

It has been decreed that we will purchase only one locator to start with. The budget will likely be in the $3-4K range. It is also unlikely that funds will be available for real training - I *might* get to attend something like an 8 hour seminar. It's more likely that I will have to make do with whatever I can get for free. I am already quite aware that this approach leaves something to be desired Convincing the boss that this is not a good idea ain't gonna happen.

Given those restrictions, what are my best bets for equipment? I need something reliable, reasonably versatile, and noob-friendly. I would also appreciate advice on how I can best train myself in my "spare time". Nothing to it, right? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks, Gravy

witching sticks! Or you could go to the IBEW website that someone has been putting on here. I am sure some fat lazy and worthless locator can help you.
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Years of Experience

I use the Rycom 8879. The Rycom is very user friendly. It may not be the best machine on the market but for someone without training it may be just what your looking for and in your budget.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Rycom-8879-C...QQcmdZViewItem

It depends, my personal favorites are Metrotech & Subsite. The Metrotech 810 is the standard for pipefinders as far as I'm concerned & the Subsite makes a real nice all-purpose machine. It has an add-on power mode called "60P". That's a real nice troubleshooting option.

Other than that, I think the RD4000 is okay. I think it does everything "pretty good" but it does have limitations. Also, they are not the most reliable. They need repairs often & it is heavier than shit!

Hope that helps...
    Why does a round pizza come in a square box?

Years of Experience

Thumbs up

ditch witch subsite is the easiest 75 r and 95t this is my opinion only.....

Years of Experience

While the Rycom is probably the most user freindly piece of equipment I have found it tends to be rather weak when exposed to the elements. The Subsite 75 or 95 is my weapon of choice for most locating needs and it's not difficult to learn.
    As far as what to do to prepare? I have to say that there is no better way than connecting to everything you can and trace it out. If you don't have someone to help guide you from harm and toward success, continue to ask questions here. I have seen many good threads started and the folks here have many years of experiece to draw their advice from. Good luck to you.

I guess the question we need to ask is. What is your budget for equipment?
    If you are not a Liberal by age 20, then you do not have a heart! If you are not a Conservative by age 40, then you do not have a brain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gravy View Post
    It has been decreed that we will purchase only one locator to start with. The budget will likely be in the $3-4K range. It is also unlikely that funds will be available for real training - I *might* get to attend something like an 8 hour seminar. Thanks, Gravy

Learn to read

Senior Member underground quester's Avatar

I have used only Metrotech equipment. The 810, 810DX, 9860 and 9890.

I have found the metrotech fairly rugged and water resistant but by no means water proof.

I keep my 9860 in its case and clean er up frequently.

It has 2 frequencies 82KhZ and 9.8KhZ and 60HZ capability.

The factory leads are TOOOOO short so you might want to make up some new ones.

Not sure if it is in your price range but probably is. Just GOOGLE METROTECH for their website and should find a list of dealers there.
    They have a 1-800 Number which is 1-800-446-3392.

Also, for good general knowledge about locating and locating techniques try www.radiodetection.ca/docs

Hope this helps

Training? Simple-hire on with a local locating co. - go thru class - quit! It happens all of the time down here! Doesn't cost anything and you get paid
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

Thanks for the useful answers! Thanks for the other kind, too - I can use some laughs!

If anybody has more, keep 'em coming

Gravy

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by underground quester View Post
    I have used only Metrotech equipment. The 810, 810DX, 9860 and 9890.

I have found the metrotech fairly rugged and water resistant but by no means water proof.

I keep my 9860 in its case and clean er up frequently.

It has 2 frequencies 82KhZ and 9.8KhZ and 60HZ capability.

The factory leads are TOOOOO short so you might want to make up some new ones.

Not sure if it is in your price range but probably is. Just GOOGLE METROTECH for their website and should find a list of dealers there.
    They have a 1-800 Number which is 1-800-446-3392.

Also, for good general knowledge about locating and locating techniques try www.radiodetection.ca/docs

Hope this helps
    I'm right with you on this one.
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

RD4000 and a Pipe Horn are two good ones to begin with...all the above are good suggetions as well just find what you are comfortable with and take your time and get it right

Default Private locating is very different from public locating

Hello all,

I mean no disrespect when I say that locating private facilities can be a lot more difficult than locating public facilities so please no death threats or email cannons.

Publics tend to have maps, diagrams or some sort of reference material available to the locator even if it is the retired installer who put the stuff in the ground when Christ was a cowboy. They can only locate that which is on their maps or at least that is the way here in most parts of Canada. I know many excellent public locators that will share their plans to help improve the chances or reducing or eliminating an unplanned contact.

Everything else is up to the private locator. Private locating usually starts with no maps or plans, just an area to be scanned. Everyone may have a different way but but you have to create a good process or set of best practices that you can repeat over and over again for each new site you visit.

I use an RD4000 T10 with all the bells and whistles as well as a Metrotech 530. You must be very familiar with what your equipment can do as well as it's limitations (or for that matter, your limitations). Trust in your equipment, not your eyes as it will seldom go wrong when used properly in the right situation.

If I can answer yes to the question "Would I be confident to dig if it were me?" then I have done my job to the best of my abilities. I am not perfect but I keep shooting for it on every site I go to. One of these days I just may get it right In the meantime, if you have any questions I would be happy to share what I can. Everyone here has the same goal in mind - safety.

Question

Just out of curiousity, do private locators have any responsibility on their marks? If you miss something in the ground and it gets hit, what happens? I'm sure the owner is pissed but who pays for it? If it's somethng you had no idea was in there how can you be responsible. And how the hell do you even know it's there in the first place?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast