Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: New Utility Locators Vest

Default New Utility Locators Vest

Hello everyone....I am new to this forum and hoping I could get some feedback from all you seasoned utility locators out there by introducing a new product I have been working on.
    This new patent pending product was designed to cut-out or minimize the necessity of walking from locating area to work vehicle in order to retrieve various locating supplies by having a utility locating vest with sufficient pockets and pouches for large locating tickets. These vests can carry up to 4 spray paint cans, up to 200 marking flags, inductive clamp, test leads, can wrench, pliers, radio/cell phone, dog repellant, maps, pens, etc., while also doubling as a ANSI Class 2 safety vest. There are 2 colors available in safety orange and lime green/yellow with high-visibility ScotchLite reflective striping on front and back.
    The paint can pouches are on the back at a point where they can be easily reached and replaced with empties. The flags are along the back in a type of quiver which can be easily accessed by reaching over the shoulder.
    I used to be an employee with a contract cable locating firm and always found I could complete my tickets quicker if I didn't have to keep going to my truck for extra paint or tools especially if I was working in the city where parking was limited and locating multiple utilities.
    While you have a reciever in one hand and a paint wand in the other there there arent too many places to put the various other items you might need to complete the tasks. Cargo pants arent very comfortable crammed with cans of paint. These vest are quite comfortable completely loaded up.
    I would certainly appreciate any comments or questions that any of you may have.
    Thank you for your forum...and thank you for your time.

Years of Experience

Default Re: New Utility Locators Vest

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the only way i would get one of these is as a 10 year service award!!!!!! it really sounds nice!!!!! i love the idea!!!
    Last edited by yahoo; December 2nd, 2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: left out a word
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

I would like to see a 360 degree picture of it. Concept of product sounds very good.

I like the idea.
    STRESS: The confusion created when one's mind overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately deserves it.

No satellite radio with speakers in it ?
    (May you live in interesting times)

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I think it is a great idea. I use a surveyors vest for just that reason but it has no where near the capacity that BlueDog is describing. A picture would be cool.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but just how much would a fully stocked vest weigh? I really don't want to lug around 20-30 lbs of stuff if I don't have to.
    I might not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was !

It's better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On or Stood On and Pissed Off Of !

The views expressed on this website/blog are mine alone and do not reflect the views of my employer. or my wife , if that matters.

20-30 pounds on a vest is a whole lot different than on your waist or in pockets on your pants. If the weight is equally distributed it wouldn't feel that bad at all (or shouldn't)

It sounds bulky... but a 360 degree picture would be very appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by sprayandpray View Post
    I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but just how much would a fully stocked vest weigh? I really don't want to lug around 20-30 lbs of stuff if I don't have to.

My body armor here with combat load and camelback is 54 pounds. If my vest is adjusted properly, I can go all day with it. I would think that a setup like that would be around the 15 pound mark. As long as the weight is proportioned correctly, it wouldn't be noticed too much, even for smaller people.

Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

I don't think it would be that much weight. Even so, you have the choice of how much you would load it up. AND... on top of that, you wouldn't be wearing it everyday, all day. Just for long hikes.

Good Morning Everyone. I really appreciate the comments everyone has made so far. Please keep them coming. I just weighed the vest, loaded with 4 large full cans, 200 24"
    plastic staffed marking flags, a 12 inch grounding rod, can wrench, a pair of linemans pliers, 2 sets of test leads, a 3"inductive clamp, cell phone, 2 pens and it weighed in at a trim 12.2 pounds. I am shooting photos in the morning and I will post them once they are ready. Thank you all again for the great feedback.

I like the idea. But yea, I want to see some pics too.

Years of Experience

54 lbs Hurricane9? Not bad! but what ELSE are you carrying! I like the vest idea, but pics and a ballpark price would help.

Yes.. what would the price for this be?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast