Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Dabbey
  • 1 Post By locatethis
  • 3 Post By headcipher

Thread: My signal was a meter different from another locators

Years of Experience

Default My signal was a meter different from another locators

Hey guys, so about two weeks ago I located two gas pipelines about 10 meters apart from each other , Rd 8000 induction 33 kHz . Staked it all and left. A crew went back yesterday and their signal was a meter different from mine on both lines , called a 3rd party locate in and they as well were a meter different.

Can anyone explain this ? My signal was great the entire time. Has anyone encountered this before or know what happened, I can't explain it and am facing reprimand .
    CWVines likes this.

Years of Experience

Default Re: My signal was a meter different from another locators

You weren't holding your mouth right!
    yahoo likes this.
    I must be F#%@ing Daffy!!!

Years of Experience

Quote Originally Posted by Dabbey View Post
    Hey guys, so about two weeks ago I located two gas pipelines about 10 meters apart from each other , Rd 8000 induction 33 kHz . Staked it all and left. A crew went back yesterday and their signal was a meter different from mine on both lines , called a 3rd party locate in and they as well were a meter different.

Can anyone explain this ? My signal was great the entire time. Has anyone encountered this before or know what happened, I can't explain it and am facing reprimand .
    You were inducing, right? Was that on a steel or plastic? About 3 feet off sounds like an abandoned gas main. Many times this can happen because you may have sat your box down in an area where the old pipe was better intact. Old pipes can really induce well because they often do not have a real protective coating that serves to insulate them from siganls like new steel gas or tracer wires do.

I'd say before you take the hit, try it again just like the first time and see if you get the same results. If you do show your Sup and see if it's your equipment. As always a conductive hook up will be better, if available, than induction, but that's not what we're talking about. Get all the info on what machine everyone else was using, was it pot-holed and confirmed, were there abandoned facilities in area, were there measurements on the main at the site of signal deviation, were there readily available hook up points. Everything. The more information you get the more fuel you have to fight your side.

If they want you to induce I'd ask for a 810, they are the best all around inductive machines out there in our head to head testing.

If you get more details post them and then we'll have a mor complete picture.
    daman1, yahoo and CWVines like this.

Mke
    Years of Experience
    Blog Entries

Cipher's got a bead on this one. There is alot of variables that could be to blame. I've personally induced with an RD8k.... can't remember the specific frequencies we tried, but all of them gave the same location within a few inches of the others. Unfortunately, the actual location of the Electrical ductbank was over about 2- 2.5 feet from where the RD locatated it. There was nothing to throw the signal that far off. There was only two 6" conduits and nothing else.

I think it comes down to inducing and the type of equipment you are using to induce.

mke

Years of Experience

I agree with those 2 guys .
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato