Thread: Mix and match receivers and transmitters?

Senior Member ProfessionalLocator's Avatar
    Years of Experience

Default Mix and match receivers and transmitters?

I was reading that the Vivax receivers have programmable frequencies. The question is can the receiver be set to the MetroTech 810 transmitter's frequency?

The reason is rain.

The Vivax receiver is good in light rain which does not affect it. The Vivax transmitter is very vulnerable to water infiltration through the faceplate. Putting a bag over it only delays the inevitable. While making settings or plugging in the leads and clamp a few drops of water always gets in and works it's way through the faceplate. The thing quits putting out a signal until it drys out so the rest of your day is shot.

The Metrotech 810 is the opposite. The transmitter handles a wet environment very well, seemingly impervious. The receiver gets just a little water under it's faceplate or main body and down it goes. The only advantage is you can open it up and dry it out with the truck heater. A real misery in Summer to use the heater to dry out the receiver.

The goal is to produce an all weather locate system by using one transmitter and another receiver neither the same model or even manufacturer. True we cannot work in a moderate or worse rainfall but light ran, not on a hard surface, we can work. An all weather system would boost productivity.

Years of Experience

Default Re: Mix and match receivers and transmitters?

the vivax is def. not made for the weather.....the transmitter. I will use the subsite 75 Twith the 950 R ...perfect for the weather!!! clear bags are helpful though!!!
    wise men talk because they have something to say and fools because they have to say something....plato

TMO
    Years of Experience

i need to learn more about the 810. i have used one to induce cast iron, but i dont know enough to know the actual freq. . Good question though.
    i dont mind mix and match in general. Thats how i fell in love with the 2250M. Hooked up my 8000 transmitter and traded my lead tech for his 2250M reciever. Worked great , and i learned a bit about the Dynatel.

TMO
    Years of Experience

In the transmitter

Both receiver and transmitter allow use of any frequency between 50Hz and 200 kHz (not all transmitter features are available at all frequencies)
    The usual broad band Passive Power & radio modes are also accompanied by specific narrow band, 50Hz & 60Hz narrow band modes
    Both transmitter and receiver operating systems can be upgraded via a standard USB interface - making for the ease of additional software options and enhancements from your PC

This is pasted from the Vivax website

The receiver for the Vivax has many frequency options and can be change to match a certain frequency on another transmitter, a upgrade might be needed depending on the frequencies set by the manufacturer. The 5 watt transmitter in deed does not like wet weather, the 10 watt transmitter is more durable and has more frequency options. Vivax is aware of the 5 watt issues and has told us when sent back for repair or when a new transmitter is order, that this has been resolved. The other issue Vivax is working on is the poor quality of leads, our District has had nothing but problems with these leads. Overall it is a nice piece of locating equipment if Vivax can fix the issues mentioned above.

Conservative Meanie ifinditunderground's Avatar
    Years of Experience

The 810 is at 83.3kHz
    There is a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness."
    "America isn't free, in America you are free to follow the rules." -Anthony Cumia

Years of Experience

I use an RD transmitter with the Ridgid receiver quite often. Little bit more accurate than the RD receivers on pipes that have been bored more than 12'. The Ridgid transmitter has the bells and whistles, but it sucks battery life like no other transmitter before it.